Some Episodes requires - attempt playback correction

sesipod

sesipod

I am using a Roku streaming Stick + (4k)
Roku STB3810X

Emby Server 4.4.3.0 - Debian 10.2 x64

When starting to play some tv series I get a black screen after the loading bar and the time is counting like the episode is playing but all I get is a black screen.
To correct things I have to go to play settings and select "attempt playback correction" then everything is fine and plays correctly.

Under stats for nerds the only thing I see that emby changes is Container: MP4 to Container: TS

Still shows HEVC direct playing.

Wondering how can this be corrected ?

NOTE:

When playing on my phone or emby theater for windows I do not have this issue.

All of my content is converted with the exact same encoding settings (except for the obvious like bitrate and such) for every single tv episode. Everything gets converted from h.264 to h.265 before it's added the emby server. So all of my content is the same MP4 hevc container.

post-199894-0-53216600-1591331918_thumb.jpg

post-199894-0-83551100-1591331931_thumb.jpg

post-199894-0-58583900-1591331938_thumb.jpg

Edited by sesipod

Hi.  Can you provide a sample for testing?  You can PM me a link to something like google drive or dropbox, etc.

Thanks.

Thanks for the sample.  I can reproduce but don't really see why.

My first guess is that this mp4 maybe has something in it that it shouldn't as far as the strict specs of an MP4 is concerned.  Could be some header or tag or a track that isn't really supported or something.  Not sure, I just know that the Roku is probably going to be completely intolerant of anything out of spec.

Is that a possibility?

Are these HEVC DolbyVision or your standard HEVC HDR10+?

Right now we do not fully check what type of HEVC we are throwing at the TV because we are waiting for Roku to "catch up" and give us a way to fully detect these things. With firmware 9.2.x they have given it to us partially, but not entirely.

For DolbyVision to properly work:

1) You need a RokuTV and not an STB or STICK. The RokuTV model must list support for DolbyVision.

2) You need media which has to contain the DV layer as well as the HDR10+ layer.

We do not check if the RokuTV model can properly display DV yet. Once firmware 9.3 is out in the wild we can do this. Right now we just throw it at the TV knowing the user can use playback correction presently. This will change in the future.

Edited by speechles

sesipod

Thanks for the sample.  I can reproduce but don't really see why.

My first guess is that this mp4 maybe has something in it that it shouldn't as far as the strict specs of an MP4 is concerned.  Could be some header or tag or a track that isn't really supported or something.  Not sure, I just know that the Roku is probably going to be completely intolerant of anything out of spec.

Is that a possibility?

Right now all of my tv episodes are converted to h265 with the same settings as every other show that I have on the server. Everythung is the same container same encoder settings (except for bitrate - stuff that must differ) but the core encoder setting and file types are the same. This does not make any since to me and what's really strange is that Plex had no issues with any of my media on this Roku stick direct playing h265 media.

All of my new media is passed to the same software for h.265 encoding before loaded to emby storage location for viewing. 

sesipod

Are these HEVC DolbyVision or your standard HEVC HDR10+?

Right now we do not fully check what type of HEVC we are throwing at the TV because we are waiting for Roku to "catch up" and give us a way to fully detect these things. With firmware 9.2.x they have given it to us partially, but not entirely.

For DolbyVision to properly work:

1) You need a RokuTV and not an STB or STICK. The RokuTV model must list support for DolbyVision.

2) You need media which has to contain the DV layer as well as the HDR10+ layer.

We do not check if the RokuTV model can properly display DV yet. Once firmware 9.3 is out in the wild we can do this. Right now we just throw it at the TV knowing the user can use playback correction presently. This will change in the future.

None of my stuff is Dolby and none of it is hdr 10. As I'm aware it's just standard h.264 to h.265 encoding. EBR has a sample of my file and can confirm this. 

None of my stuff is Dolby and none of it is hdr 10. As I'm aware it's just standard h.264 to h.265 encoding. EBR has a sample of my file and can confirm this. 

You can encode x265 HEVC with 10-12 bit HDR just fine and the Roku will not have a problem. It is when encoding x265 HEVC with 10 -12 bit SDR that has the issue. The Roku will only play back SDR in 8bit. Our profile does not have this detection, yet. It will in the future.

Edited by speechles

If you had encoded these using the MKV container you would be able to play these as they are. Inside MP4 the HEVC codec is changed. It will become either hvc1 or hvcc. The Roku does not understand hvcc encoded content in mp4. It cannot decode the stream. When encoded into MKV the hevc flag is not altered and the Roku will play all types. Hope you understand.

Edited by speechles

sesipod

If you had encoded these using the MKV container you would be able to play these as they are. Inside MP4 the HEVC codec is changed. It will become either hvc1 or hvcc. The Roku does not understand hvcc encoded content in mp4. It cannot decode the stream. When encoded into MKV the hevc flag is not altered and the Roku will play all types. Hope you understand.

I'm going to argue that it will play as mp4 - being as I moved to emby form plex and had the same content on plex I was able to play this exact series with no problems using Roku stick. 

So its embys app that is causing the issue at this point on roku.