Version 4.4.3.0 - bad streaming

chudak
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

chudak

It simply stops streaming! Freezes then goes for awhile and then freezes again....

Anybody else seeing this ?

It simply stops streaming! Freezes then goes for awhile and then freezes again....

Anybody else seeing this ?

Can confirm. Don't have any logs though. I ended up downgrading for other reasons.

chudak

Can confirm. Don't have any logs though. I ended up downgrading for other reasons.

I still have previous version but never done emby downgrade.

Is it as easy as install it?  Or you did anything else?

Out of curiosity, is it a specific client app that does this, or all emby streaming? I only use Roku for it, so I can't really test other options to see if it's the server or a client app update that's causing it.

As for downgrading, I used a package from the AUR called downgrade. It makes it pretty easy to downgrade things by providing all versions to choose from. The only issue is that if you are on Arch Linux, the recent changes make it a bit more complicated because emby symlinks from /var/lib/emby > /var/lib/private/emby, so just downgrading won't work. Emby wouldn't start by default because of permission errors. I can't say for certain on other versions of linux. This was a recent change in the Arch Linux package at version 4.4.0.40-4 I believe.

Edited by 10479

chudak

Out of curiosity, is it a specific client app that does this, or all emby streaming? I only use Roku for it, so I can't really test other options to see if it's the server or a client app update that's causing it.

As for downgrading, I used a package from the AUR called downgrade. It makes it pretty easy to downgrade things by providing all versions to choose from. The only issue is that if you are on Arch Linux, the recent changes make it a bit more complicated because emby symlinks from /var/lib/emby > /var/lib/private/emby, so just downgrading won't work. Emby wouldn't start by default because of permission errors. I can't say for certain on other versions of linux. This was a recent change in the Arch Linux package at version 4.4.0.40-4 I believe.

I am on Ubuntu and hesitant to downgrade.

I see bad streaming only on Android TV client.  Roku is almost with no troubles and iPhone/iPad seem normal.

Can't really tell what's going on, but definitely on this latest version only. 

mark-in-dallas

I am on Ubuntu and hesitant to downgrade.

I'm on Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04, and I just downgraded back to 4.4.2.0 from 4.4.3.0 myself, not because of any issues with the latest version but because I didn't like the changes on the Live TV Guide page.  To downgrade I just shutdown the Emby server and installed the older package.  

• Like 1

So for me, disabling throttling on transcoding fixes it. Not really sure why. The playback reporting shows it working properly and allowing plenty of buffered time. But after a few freezes during direct streaming it would eventually kick to hardware transcoding via nvidia. Disabling throttling allows it to play through at the same bitrate as as when it kicks to transcoding.

Thanks, and since you say 4.4.2 does not have the problem, can you attach that log for comparison?

chudak
On 6/8/2020 at 9:04 PM, Luke said:

Thanks, and since you say 4.4.2 does not have the problem, can you attach that log for comparison?

@Luke did you find the root cause of issues?  any hope to have a fix soon?

chudak

@Luke I did some testing today.

Changed default transcoding directory to point to my SSD drive location.

I see that all clients (tried iPhone, Browser) actually start writing temp files into that directory, except Android TV.

Maybe this is the issue?  (Unless it's normal)

Perhaps you configured a transcoding temp folder that the server can't write to?

chudak
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Perhaps you configured a transcoding temp folder that the server can't write to?

@Luke

No the server can write to it.  I don't see that all emby clients always create files in it and wonder if this is as expected.

In general I see the latest version does not do rewind well, and I see no throttling taking place, always takes log time and streaming as stated in this thread is no good.

Did you see any suspects in the log files ?

Edited by chudak

• 2 weeks later...
chudak

@Luke

still trying to understand poor Emby streaming.

can you clarify if it’s expected to see temp files created when transcoding enabled, or its different for different clients?

also is there a way to force transcoding to be activated all the time?

thx

can you clarify if it’s expected to see temp files created when transcoding enabled

If transcoding is happening, then yes.

also is there a way to force transcoding to be activated all the time?

Why would you want this?

chudak
1 minute ago, Luke said:

If transcoding is happening, then yes.

Is transcoding suppose to be happening all the time when enabled?

chudak
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why would you want this?

It seems working better when temp files being created and used 

Hey @chudak, since we're both experiencing these issues, have you traced when this happens for you? I'm just curious as I have been really narrowing down when my playback is impossibly bad and it appears to be when direct streaming DTS 5.1. It's odd that direct streaming would fail when full transcodes work just fine. So I'm just curious to see if that might be what you are experiencing as well.

Currently, the only solution for me is to disable transcode throttling (as mentioned earlier in the thread), and that seems to possibly be in line with what works for you.

chudak

@10479

I could not figure out exactly what can help in my situation.

I started seeing the issue after the last upgrade to 4.4.3.0 but then after downgrading it seemed to be the same issue on previous version as well.

I see that on different videos it may behave differently I can play 4H 110Mps short file without problems, and get stuck running lower quality files. 

Sometimes emby get stuck on start, sometimes later etc.  So as the tile says "Bad streaming" !  I can play files with VLC and emby must be much better, but alas :( 

I could not see if disabling transcodes works.  And also I've seen that Android TV client more often and sever under performing compare to Roku and iOS.  I was hoping @Luke found some clues in our log files, but he did not say anything about it  yet.