Make TrueHD passthrough selectable on LG Atmos Models

Leonos007

Leonos007

I have the latest 2020 model of the LG and playing movies with the Emby LG app version 1.24.

The TV is set to internal speaker, meaning it supports TrueHD Atmos.

I'm trying to play demo files (and movies) with UHD and TrueHD Atmos.

With the Emby App I'm able to play the demo file in UHD mode, but the TrueHD is converted to AC3.

(I can see in the nerd stats).

I'm pretty sure that my LG (and also the C9 model) will support the TrueHD if it is passed through by the Emby server.

But the Emby server thinks it needs to encode it to AC3. (maybe detection issue).

I think an option should be added in the LG Emby App, where you can tick the passthrough of audio formats like it is in the Windows Emby application.

In the Emby Windows application you can select which audio formats you want to passthough, AC3/EAC3/DTS/DTS-HD/TrueHD.

Ps, if I try to play this demo file with the LG internal player with the Plex DLNA, I have both UHD and TrueHD Atmos.

(The TV shows 'UHD and Atmos' in the corner when I play this file).

So that means that the TV is able to play this file in UHD/TrueHD Atmos mode.

Strangly this does not work with the Emby DLNA, no UHD and no TrueHD.

Edited by Leonos007
  • Like 1

SamES

I have the latest 2020 model of the LG and playing movies with the Emby LG app version 1.24.

The TV is set to internal speaker, meaning it supports TrueHD Atmos.

I'm trying to play demo files (and movies) with UHD and TrueHD Atmos.

With the Emby App I'm able to play the demo file in UHD mode, but the TrueHD is converted to AC3.

(I can see in the nerd stats).

I'm pretty sure that my LG (and also the C9 model) will support the TrueHD if it is passed through by the Emby server.

But the Emby server thinks it needs to encode it to AC3. (maybe detection issue).

I think an option should be added in the LG Emby App, where you can tick the passthrough of audio formats like it is in the Windows Emby application.

In the Emby Windows application you can select which audio formats you want to passthough, AC3/EAC3/DTS/DTS-HD/TrueHD.

Ps, if I try to play this demo file with the LG internal player with the Plex DLNA, I have both UHD and TrueHD Atmos.

(The TV shows 'UHD and Atmos' in the corner when I play this file).

So that means that the TV is able to play this file in UHD/TrueHD Atmos mode.

Strangly this does not work with the Emby DLNA, no UHD and no TrueHD.

I think that we've recently confirmed on C9 models that TrueHD doesn't work in the app, but CX might be the first series to support it.

I can't really see the value of TrueHD through the TV speakers, aside from not having to do any conversion, but are you able to pass this through to a receiver via eArc?  This is what we really need to be supported

Leonos007

For the moment I only can test if Atmos is supported with the TV speakers mode, not eArc.

Next week the Sonos Arc will be delivered and I will hook it up the LG with eArc.

But my guess is that when it does not work now, it will also not work with eArc, so thats why I'm trying now to get this to work.

I have read that the C9 does not support TrueHD through eArc yet, but it would be supported around june this year.

But since there is no app currently supporting this, it will be difficult to test.

Neither the Plex app or Emby app can give me Atmos (the do give me UHD).

(ps forgot to mention, in the test file there are no subs).

In Emby nerd stats I see that the server is not transcoding the UHD, but it is transcoding TrueHD to AC3.

I just wish that I had the option to tick a setting that TrueHD audio should be passed through and not be transcoded.

If that option ticked would result in the TV playing Atmos it would mean that it is supported.

If that option ticked would result in an error or silence, then it would mean it is not supported.

Now we do not know because there is no such option and it just starts transcoding.

Since the server is triggered somewhere to start this transcoding, I think it should be fairly simple to create such option.

That option could be set on the server or in the WebOs app.

Just an idea.

As a quick test you can try setting the user permission to deny access to transcoding. This will force a direct play to prevent the transcoding.

My guess - you will see video but not hear any audio. I think even though the TV supports passing through TrueHD, LG probably isn't enabling that for third party apps.  But you can test it that way if you'd like to see what happens.

Just make sure to set the options back to default after you're done.

SamES

As a quick test you can try setting the user permission to deny access to transcoding. This will force a direct play to prevent the transcoding.

My guess - you will see video but not hear any audio. I think even though the TV supports passing through TrueHD, LG probably isn't enabling that for third party apps. But you can test it that way if you'd like to see what happens.

Or, you will hear audio from a secondary track, but not the TrueHD track. Just be sure that if you do hear audio that it is from the track that you are expecting

Leonos007

I have disabled the access to transcode now for my user, both video and audio.

For the test file (m2ts), my TV starts playback  and says it is playing 'UHD' and 'Atmos'. But I do not hear any sound.

For mkv movies with TrueHD track the TV says it is UHD, but not Atmos.

But I do hear sound and the nerd stats says it is playing TrueHD with 8 channels.

So I will wait for the arrival of my Soundbar to see what happens if I let the TV passthrough the audio to the soundbar.

If it does not work then I will get a Nvidia Shield Pro to make this happen.

But for now I'm happy to see I can disable the transcoding myself, with this disabled I notice that playback (with subs) starts more quickly then before.

I just have to make sure I dont use DTS now, because the latest LG's do not support that anymore.

(and if it works, maybe in the future an option to make selectable which formats to allow transcoding or not) 

But for now I'm happy to see I can disable the transcoding myself, with this disabled I notice that playback (with subs) starts more quickly then before.

I generally wouldn't do this. The app will already direct play whenever possible, so please make sure to see the help text underneath the option.

Thanks for testing this out.

SamES

I have disabled the access to transcode now for my user, both video and audio.

For the test file (m2ts), my TV starts playback  and says it is playing 'UHD' and 'Atmos'. But I do not hear any sound.

If the only audio track is TrueHD, and you turn of TrueHD, then typically on LG the Emby app will get no audio

For mkv movies with TrueHD track the TV says it is UHD, but not Atmos.

But I do hear sound and the nerd stats says it is playing TrueHD with 8 channels.

If you have additional audio tracks, then LG will play the next compatible track but it does not report this, so Emby will think that the requested track (TrueHD) is playing, but it is not.  That is why you must connect a soundbar or receiver to confirm which track you are really playing.

The bests tests are files with only a single TrueHD track, or multiple trackw in different languages (such as a commentary track)

I suspect this is what you are seeing, which suggests that TrueHD is still not fully supported.

Thanks for testing and reporting back.

Edited by SamES

Leonos007

Oke, got the Sonos Arc Atmos and hooked it up to the TV with earc.

As you already suspected, the truehd atmos is not passed to the Arc and the other movies output 5.1 (idd the second audio track).

Netflix outputs DD+ to the Arc.

The testfile with atmos does output TrueHD Atmos with Plex DLNA, but that only works for the m2ts demo files, not MKV having TrueHD Atmos.

So for me it is confirmed that LG (for now) does not support lossless Atmos from an App to earc.

So will go get the Nvidia TV Shield Pro to make it work.

SamES

Thanks for confirming.  It's disappointing that app based eARC support for TrueHD has still not been added.

rbjtech

Thanks for confirming.  It's disappointing that app based eARC support for TrueHD has still not been added.

It never will be according to the thread below - it is a hardware limitation even on the CX .. :wacko:

"WebOS apps support for lossless audio - there will be no WebOS app support for lossless HD audio soundtracks such as TrueHD, TrueHD+Atmos, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA or DTS:X - this is the same situation as for the 2019 models; The Alpha9 SoC has only an ARC capable audio output, so it cannot send lossless audio back to the receiver/soundbar, even if they are eARC capable, firmware updates cannot modify hardware limitations;"

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3119288-2020-lg-oled-cx-gx-owner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk.html

My Nvidia Shield Pro is hopefully turning up tomorrow - but I'm going to miss the LG App as it was pretty perfect apart from the above and that is obviously no fault of Emby ..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ViruZ87

this explains alot.. 😕 so TrueHD will never work with any apps on the C9, well fml.

not sure if it's even worth to get a shield, because the shield probably has some issues aswell.. 

@rbjtech are you happy with the shield compared to the LG apps?

Edited by ViruZ87

SamES

I have no experience with the Shield, but I believe to ensure you don't hit other limitations, it's important to buy the Shield TV Pro, and not the regular Shield TV

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

Leonos007

I now have the Shield and I can confirm it works as expected (TrueHD Atmos, UHD and subs etc.)

I do use Kodi on the Shield, because with that there is no need for an extra layer between my shield and my files.

My shield has the same looks as the Pro, same memory (3Gb and Storage 16Gb) as the Pro, but it is not the Pro version.
It was also 20 bucks less then the Pro and 20 bucks more expensive then the Shield (Tube look)

Edit: I have the 2017 Shield which has almost the same specs as the 2019 version and also supports the same formats.

Edited by Leonos007

rbjtech
14 hours ago, ViruZ87 said:

this explains alot.. 😕 so TrueHD will never work with any apps on the C9, well fml.

not sure if it's even worth to get a shield, because the shield probably has some issues aswell.. 

@rbjtech are you happy with the shield compared to the LG apps?

Hi @ViruZ87 - yes so far so good with the Shield Pro 2020

From a uncompressed HD perspective the Shield is passing through all the HD formats to my receiver via HDMI - Atmos, DTS-X etc - and the sound improvement over the compressed formats is actually very noticeable - but a lot of that may be dependent on your Receiver and Speakers.  ie you are probably not going to notice much of a difference, if any,  if you run HD sound via the TV speakers for example. (assuming your TV can decode them ..)

From a bandwidth perspective, the jury is still out as the limitation has been set internally within the emby app to 110 Mbit/sec - this is getting lifted in the next beta so we can see the breaking point - but for the moment 110 Mbit/sec is more than enough.  I could try via Kodi but tbh happy to wait as it's not causing me any issues.

The other great improvement is the frame rate switching vs the LG app - my TV now automatically @23.976 frames to match the source video - and panning has never been smoother.

The part I am missing is the LG Magic remote - it was so handy pointing to what I wanted vs scrolling with the buttons … but I only use the Shield for 4K films, I still use the LG app for everything else.

As others have said, definitely get the Pro - it appears the Tube has memory limitations and runs a 32bit version of the OS - A crazy decision in 2020 by Nvidia, not sure what they were thinking tbh .. 

Edited by rbjtech

Leonos007

I have returned the Shield 2017 version and replaced it with the Sield Pro 2019 version.

Bit weird they still sell this old version for just 20 bucks less.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
guilty57
On 05/06/2020 at 20:53, Luke said:

My guess - you will see video but not hear any audio. I think even though the TV supports passing through TrueHD, LG probably isn't enabling that for third party apps.  But you can test it that way if you'd like to see what happens.

I was having issues With Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to LG OLED55CX.

DTS tracks were being transcoded.

But after I take the permission of transcoding audio and video from my local user profile, everything now works perfectly normal.

Like Plex does, every audio track is getting passthrough.

Thanks.

SamES
1 hour ago, guilty57 said:

But after I take the permission of transcoding audio and video from my local user profile, everything now works perfectly normal.

Can you please send the full media info for this file?

Is Emby running on the LG or on the Shield?

guilty57

Emby is runnning on Shield TV Pro 2019. Connected wih HDMI cable. TV is connected to LG SJ3 Soundbar via optical cable.

When I play it with VLC or MX forcing to use DTS and TrueHD at first TV says sound format is not supported. I set the HDMI out to Bitstream.

And on Plex everything is passthrough.

On Emby I had to take the transcoding permission away from my local user.

User Permission:

image.thumb.png.a773e34cc884419864b25d536a3bc5af.png

MediaInfo:

Spoiler

General
Complete name               : \\192.168.1.120\seagate\Movies\Movie (2019)\Movie.2019.2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-NOGRP.mkv
Format                      : Matroska
Format version              : Version 4
File size                   : 58.5 GiB
Duration                    : 2 h 10 min
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 64.4 Mb/s
Encoded date                : UTC 2020-02-17 10:57:15
Writing application         : mkvmerge v43.0.0 ('The Quartermaster') 64-bit
Writing library             : libebml v1.3.10 + libmatroska v1.5.2
Cover                       : Yes
Attachments                 : cover.jpg / small_cover.jpg / small_cover_land.jpg / cover.jpg / cover_land.jpg

Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : HEVC
Format/Info                 : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile              : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                  : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                    : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Bit rate                    : 55.5 Mb/s
Width                       : 3 840 pixels
Height                      : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                   : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.279
Stream size                 : 50.5 GiB (86%)
Title                       : 
Language                    : English
Default                     : No
Forced                      : No
Color range                 : Limited
Color primaries             : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics    : PQ
Matrix coefficients         : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color pri : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 267 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light : 89 cd/m2

Audio #1
ID                          : 2
Format                      : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info                 : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name             : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID                    : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 2 585 kb/s
Maximum bit rate            : 3 363 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 8 channels
Channel layout              : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate               : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                  : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Compression mode            : Lossless
Stream size                 : 2.35 GiB (4%)
Default                     : Yes
Number of dynamic objects   : 11
Bed channel count           : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration   : LFE

Audio #2
ID                          : 3
Format                      : DTS XLL
Format/Info                 : Digital Theater Systems
Commercial name             : DTS-HD Master Audio
Codec ID                    : A_DTS
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 3 799 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 8 channels
Channel layout              : C L R LFE Lb Rb Lss Rss
Frame rate                  : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth                   : 24 bits
Compression mode            : Lossless
Stream size                 : 3.46 GiB (6%)

Audio #3
ID                          : 4
Format                      : AC-3
Format/Info                 : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name             : Dolby Digital
Format settings             : Dolby Surround EX
Codec ID                    : A_AC3
Bit rate mode               : Constant
Bit rate                    : 448 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 6 channels
Channel layout              : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Frame rate                  : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode            : Lossy
Stream size                 : 417 MiB (1%)
Service kind                : Complete Main

Audio #4
ID                          : 5
Bit rate                    : 192 kb/s
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Channel layout              : L R
Stream size                 : 179 MiB (0%)

Audio #5
ID                          : 6
Bit rate                    : 640 kb/s
Stream size                 : 596 MiB (1%)
Language                    : French

Audio #6
ID                          : 7
Bit rate                    : 640 kb/s
Stream size                 : 596 MiB (1%)
Language                    : Spanish

Audio #7
ID                          : 8

Audio #8
ID                          : 9

Text #1
ID                          : 10
Format                      : UTF-8
Codec ID                    : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info               : UTF-8 Plain Text
Duration                    : 2 h 2 min
Bit rate                    : 83 b/s
Count of elements           : 2267
Stream size                 : 74.8 KiB (0%)
Title                       : English-SRT
Default                     : Yes

Text #2
ID                          : 11
Format                      : PGS
Muxing mode                 : zlib
Codec ID                    : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info               : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Duration                    : 2 h 2 min
Bit rate                    : 57.1 kb/s
Count of elements           : 4536
Stream size                 : 49.9 MiB (0%)
Title                       : English-PGS

Text #3
ID                          : 12
Duration                    : 2 h 9 min
Bit rate                    : 60.2 kb/s
Count of elements           : 5050
Stream size                 : 56.0 MiB (0%)
Title                       : English-SDH-PGS

Text #4
ID                          : 13
Duration                    : 2 h 4 min
Bit rate                    : 41.8 kb/s
Count of elements           : 4044
Stream size                 : 37.1 MiB (0%)
Title                       : French-PGS

Text #5
ID                          : 14
Bit rate                    : 237 b/s
Count of elements           : 20
Stream size                 : 216 KiB (0%)
Title                       : French-FORCED-PGS

Text #6
ID                          : 15
Bit rate                    : 51.6 kb/s
Count of elements           : 3982
Stream size                 : 45.8 MiB (0%)
Title                       : Spanish-PGS

Text #7
ID                          : 16
Bit rate                    : 707 b/s
Count of elements           : 52
Stream size                 : 643 KiB (0%)
Title                       : Spanish-FORCED_PGS

Menu
00:00:00.000                : en:Chapter 01
00:05:28.036                : en:Chapter 02
00:21:23.115                : en:Chapter 03
00:31:48.698                : en:Chapter 04
00:44:30.959                : en:Chapter 05
00:49:52.364                : en:Chapter 06
00:54:53.581                : en:Chapter 07
00:58:39.766                : en:Chapter 08
01:07:09.567                : en:Chapter 09
01:12:43.734                : en:Chapter 10
01:22:30.278                : en:Chapter 11
01:28:49.490                : en:Chapter 12
01:34:44.095                : en:Chapter 13
01:40:47.332                : en:Chapter 14
01:43:43.926                : en:Chapter 15
02:01:45.131                : en:Chapter 16

Edited by guilty57

SamES

Ok, but I don’t think this has anything to do with the LG client, this is app functionality of the shield. Correct?

guilty57

Plex installed on LG OLED55cx6LA

Direct play on both TrueHD and dtshd.

DTSHD is direct play with sound.

TrueHD is direct play but no sould.

16171850143199043327292100083425.jpg

16171850515536173389239682046463.jpg

Edited by guilty57

SamES
7 minutes ago, guilty57 said:

On LG OLED55cx6LA

Direct play on both TrueHD and dtshd.

You need to be aware of this quirk, I'm fairly certain it is not playing TrueHD and DTS tracks but playing the AC-3 track instead

rbjtech
4 hours ago, guilty57 said:

Emby is runnning on Shield TV Pro 2019. Connected wih HDMI cable. TV is connected to LG SJ3 Soundbar via optical cable.

When I play it with VLC or MX forcing to use DTS and TrueHD at first TV says sound format is not supported. I set the HDMI out to Bitstream.

As bitstream is being used - could the Shield be converting the formats and passing them through ?  I know the CX does not support raw DTS or True-HD but it does support PCM/bitstream .. ?