Get containing library of item

rechigo
Go to solution Solved by PenkethBoy,

rechigo

I am working on my application and I need to be able to get the containing library of an item via the HTTP API

I could go through every single library and check all items in said libraries against the item ID to get the containing library, but that has its own issues

@@chef

PenkethBoy

dont think there is a single/simple way to do this

and may vary by item type

but

if you pull back the path and/or parentid via API fields property

Then for a movie the parent id will be the movie folder - then another call to get the parent of the folder's parentid - etc till you hit the parentid that matches the ID of the library - the number of times you need to do that depends on how nested your movie structure is

similar for an episode

basically walk back up the parentid tree till you match a library id

or

you could use the item path and "match" this against the library path - which might have more than one path if multiple folders added to library

or

if you only have single library types - i.e. only one tv library, one movie library - then item type would be enough to tell

Those are a few thoughts of the top of my head - might be another way - but should give you a few options to try

• Solution
PenkethBoy

ah

../item/{id}/Ancestors

gets all parents of an item

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Doesn't the type give you the library? Sort of...

only if you only have one library per item type

rechigo

Yeah, the Parent ID move up the tree method was the only thing I had in mind at the time of writing the original post, was hoping there was an easier way..

Couldn't use the second one because the only way to get the library media path would be to use the VirtualFolders endpoint, which is only available to admins (I'm restricted to endpoints that regular users can access)

3rd one wouldn't work because I can't guarantee other users wouldn't have multiple libraries of the same type

basically, for each physical library returned by the /Views endpoint, I have to reach out to /Items, select the first item, take the parent ID and continue moving up the tree until I get to the top level. I'll probably cache this since it'll be extremely inefficient to do this every single time

Luke-

Via HTTP request not from a Plugin

@@PenkethBoy THANK YOU! Now I used that endpoint and all I had to do was get the Parent item that is second from the bottom which is the library item

Saved me a lot of time by not having to write out a system to go up the tree to find the top parent

Edited by rechigo
  • Like 1