Missing most TV and Movie images after restore

McOwnage
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

McOwnage

@@cayars I had to restore a backup (2 days old) of my C drive due to hard drive failure. Emby is installed on a different drive and was installed when the backup was made. Now it seams pretty much all  of my images are not showing even tho they are in the directories. I have re scanned the library files (3 different times), I cleared cache in the browser,  cleared temp file, reset page file. nothing worked I did find a post that the guy said he fixed it by refreshing the meta data and checking replace existing images on each movie. I don't want to do that with my collection of over 2000 movies, tv shows, and home movies which is a large part of that number(and have custom images) is there an easier way?

post-74272-0-32099600-1591238719_thumb.png

post-74272-0-51044300-1591238732_thumb.png

Edited by Luke

Generally speaking:

If you didn't previously choose to store images in your media directories then they are lost and will need to be refreshed/reloaded since they don't exists now.

This is exactly why many of us always use that option so once we refresh them and make changes they are stored right on side on media for ever.  Same with the NFO file.

I'd suggest changing your options to save to the media folder and then refresh the metadata and graphics.

With complete backup:

I broke this up into two sections on purpose.  Now if you had a complete C drive backup you should have been able to restore things and no apps would know the difference which doesn't sound like it's the case.

What kind of backup did you have?

McOwnage

First Thanks for reading my post and trying to help.

it was a complete backup of the whole c drive including the hidden partitions. I should have also indicated that I did choose the option to have the images and nfo saved in the Movie/TV directory example

<art>
    <poster>J:\Media\Movies\10 Things I Hate About You (1999)\poster.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>J:\Media\Movies\10 Things I Hate About You (1999)\fanart.jpg</fanart>
  </art>

Here is the list of files in the Directory

Directory of J:\Media\Movies\10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

06/04/2020  04:03 AM    <DIR>          .
06/04/2020  04:03 AM    <DIR>          ..
03/31/2020  08:39 AM         8,553,162 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)-320-10.bif
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           141,647 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).en.srt
03/30/2020  11:27 PM       734,992,466 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).mp4
05/09/2020  11:15 AM            10,181 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).nfo
03/30/2020  11:11 PM            91,164 10 Things I Hate About You (1999).srt
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           131,594 banner.jpg
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           715,889 clearart.png
03/31/2020  08:39 AM            49,901 clearlogo.png
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           622,329 discart.png
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           179,785 fanart.jpg
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           645,692 landscape.jpg
03/31/2020  08:39 AM           177,504 poster.jpg

and here is a pic of the movie in catalog

5ed8d6822cd2a_10ThingsIHateAboutYou.png

Thanks again for the Help

From your dashboard view scroll down to paths.  How does the "Cache" and "MetaData" directories look?

Are they pointing to the same location they used to point to?

I'm a bit confused why a full C drive restore didn't bring your system EXACTLY back to how it was?  Oh, just re-read your op message and you had Emby itself installed on a different drive.

Can you give us a quick overview of what drive Emby was/is on and what C drive was used for from an Emby Standpoint?

McOwnage

Cache is blank under Advance so I guess that is default. As for metadata manager it is weird it is pointing at my old G: drive they use to reside that I took out months ago to make room for a bigger hard drive weird guess i have to delete all meta data??? if so how do I do that? I hope i don't have to go in each directory.

Happy2Play

Cache is blank under Advance so I guess that is default. As for metadata manager it is weird it is pointing at my old G: drive they use to reside that I took out months ago to make room for a bigger hard drive weird guess i have to delete all meta data??? if so how do I do that? I hope i don't have to go in each directory.

What is pointing to this old drive, your actual media?  If so is the library folder pointing to that drive (library setup)?  Not knowing your setup, if it is just a drive letter update and you know your way around the database you can do a simple update, would have to search but there are topics with examples.

I am confused though as you stated Emby is installed on a different drive then you restored the C drive, so something does not make any since.

McOwnage

ok so everything is now pointing to G:\Media\Movie or TV  or home movies etc.. in 

http://localhost:8096/web/index.html#!/metadatamanager

instead of J:Media\...  do you think just reinstalling the server would be a faster fix since all the files are already in the folders of j:\Media\... I mean just deleting the old info ie movies tv etc then just readding them

Edited by McOwnage

You can adjust the cache path if needed in Emby Server.

"Cache path" is an option you can change on the Settiings menu.

You can change the "Metadata path" in Library>Advanced (up top selection) menu.

Using those two items you should be able to point Emby to where your current data is located.  Restart Emby.

Does that help or not?

• Solution
Happy2Play

ok so everything is now pointing to G:\Media\Movie or TV  or home movies etc.. in 

http://localhost:8096/web/index.html#!/metadatamanager

instead of J:Media\...  do you think just reinstalling the server would be a faster fix since all the files are already in the folders of j:\Media\... I mean just deleting the old info ie movies tv etc then just readding them

Since your library folder paths are pointing to the wrong drive you would need to update your Library added folders paths, but is odd that items are will appearing for a path that no longer exists.

• Like 2

That or if the drive letter isn't important just change the drive letter of the drive itself if the rest of the path is correct.

• Like 1

McOwnage

Thanks all seems weird I just redid the directories in the server all good now making new backup

• Like 1