Advice on using these specs for an Emby Server

hootie318

hootie318

Would these specs perform as a good Emby server. I can install Server 2016 and double the RAM.

CPU
Intel Core i3 4160 @ 3.60GHz 37 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-DS3H-A (SOCKET 0) 34 °C

Graphics
NS-24E730A12 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4400 (Gigabyte)

BAlGaInTl

It really depends on your files, clients, and use case.  That will be fine for local use with minimal transcoding.

hootie318

Thanks for the reply. 

I am running MKV, MP4 files for streaming to Kodi on Raspberry Pi 4. Movies, TV Shows. No 4k yet but I would like to run some in the future.

Would this still meet the requirements? Could you give me advice on where I should upgrade? I would certainly appreciate it. I do not know if I need to load any codecs or windows media packges. I am trying to do this on my own and what I can find by Google.

Thank you again.

BAlGaInTl

How many people will be connected to it and using it at the same time?  If it isn't a lot, you should be fine.

It looks like that processor supports Quick Sync, so you should be able to offload encoding/decoding to the onboard graphics.

With a weaker processor, the best thin you can do is actually make sure that your clients support direct streaming of your files.  

Every situation is different though.

hootie318

I am using Raspberry Pi4 with LibreElec Kodi. I believe I am using the direct streaming in the emby settings. I usually have only 2, 3 at the most, at one time.

So from what I gather the best thing to upgrade in a Server would be the processor?

Thank you

Sammy

Better not need to transcode much with that. 

That said, I run a 5y.o. NUC for my Emby Beta Test Server. I'm the only client but it does just fine with iGPU intel HD 4600 Graphics.

BAlGaInTl

I wouldn't "buy" that processor to build a server.

But if you already have it in a system, it doesn't hurt to try it out.

lightsout

The Intel igpu is actually surprising solid using quicksync transcoding. Like said if you have it already test it out.