Fresh install has no hardware acceleration - running ffdetect-emby once and starting emby manually brings it back until reboot

Go to solution Solved by 10479,

Emby Server version: 4.4.2.0 and Premier Status Active

System info: Arch Linux, kernel 5.6.15

Nvidia Driver version: 440.82-18

Packages related to hardware installed: nvidia, nvidia-utils, intel-media-sdk, intel-media-driver, intel-gmmlib

So I have ended up rebuilding my server over the weekend to change some things around and went with a fresh install of the same version of emby that I was running before (4.4.2.0). 4.4.3.0 is not available yet. After setting everything up, Emby does not detect Nvidia hardware acceleration. After countless hours of searching and probing, at random, I stopped the emby-server.service, ran the command I found in the logs -

/usr/bin/ffdetect-emby -hide_banner -show_program_version -loglevel 48 -show_error -show_log 40 nvencdec -print_format json

After running that command and then restarting the service, Nvidia's options show  up under hardware transcoding and do work. Ultimately, I've found that I don't have to run that entire command. Just running ffdetect-emby nvenc and so on will sort it as well.

Here's logs for embyserver.txt and hardware_detection.txt for both before manually running the command and after to hopefully ID what is going on here.

embyserver.txt fresh start - no hw accel

hardware_detection.txt fresh start - no hw accel

And after stopping the service, running ffdetect-emby and starting the service

embyserver.txt after running command

hardware_detection.txt after running command

As soon as I reboot, Nvidia's transcoding is lost until I repeat the process of stopping, running ffdetect-emby and starting emby again. Any other info that is needed, just let me know and I will provide it.

Thanks

Yeah. It starts up and doesn't throw any errors. It functions in its entirety outside of nvidia support when it starts up.

As a test, can you try disabling that and then starting it manually?

In the mean time, I've just created a service to run `ffdetect-emby nvenc` prior to starting emby. It's not ideal, but at least I don't have to babysit it.

There is a substantial difference between the released systemd service file and what is used in Arch. I'm wondering if the new systemd service options work because the server was upgraded in place or something similar? Version 4.4 switched to DynamicUser via systemd, which has a lot more restrictions, but does have the proper permissions to allow access to the /dev/dri directory.

For what it's worth, I tried upgrading to the Arch Linux community testing version 4.4.2.0-1 and lost all transcoding entirely. I couldn't get it to show up under any circumstances. I have ended up going back to 4.4.0.40 to the pre-DynamicUser version where transcoding works as expected.

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

4.5.0.16 beta also resolves this problem as well. Living the high life now. If it returns once this version reaches stable on Arch Linux, then it is highly likely that it has to do with the way the package is managed now.