Organizing Extras Request

Bigmack3000

pwhodges
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

You can use any folder name you like - and it is that folder name that is shown on the 'Seasons Page'.  It is the file name that dictates the episode / metadata.

You can use any name you like (as I do, and have suggested to others) - so long as it's not an Emby-recognised name.  If, for instance, you have two folders called "Specials" and "Extras" they will get combined as specials.

The other concern is that we are told doing this is not supported, which means that in principle the devs are free to break it - not that that seems likely.

Paul

• Like 1

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

You can use any name you like (as I do, and have suggested to others) - so long as it's not an Emby-recognised name.  If, for instance, you have two folders called "Specials" and "Extras" they will get combined as specials.

The other concern is that we are told doing this is not supported, which means that in principle the devs are free to break it - not that that seems likely.

Paul

A good point Paul thanks - I was not aware of the support aspects of the folder name. 

• Like 1

Bigmack3000
5 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

But it does happen every now and then.  Extras used to pop up as its own folder.  It was sometime this year that it was combined with Specials.

• Like 1

RanmaCanada

I personally would love more control as with most of my anime I have the soundtracks, covers, box art and any liner notes.  Yeah I kind of a completist.  

pwhodges
1 hour ago, RanmaCanada said:

I personally would love more control as with most of my anime I have the soundtracks, covers, box art and any liner notes.  Yeah I kind of a completist.  

Don't forget clean OP and ED videos.

Paul

RanmaCanada
On 24/01/2021 at 14:39, pwhodges said:

Don't forget clean OP and ED videos.

Paul

I just manually manage those in the extras folder.  Though it gets difficult with series like Urusei Yatsura that had 12 of each.

• 4 months later...
roaku

Generating some good vibrations to motivate another round of extras development.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest cas1701

Just adding my tuppence. I've very recently begun adding various extras, deleted scenes etc. to my library and I followed the naming guide for all these bits and pieces and put them into correctly named folders as per. I was immensely disappointed to see that everything had been lumped together as just "Extras".

I was under the impression that by adding them to specificly named folders they would appear that way under the movie, but instead they're all put in the same category. So why bother with the folders in the first place? Is this something that will get changed in the future and how long will we have to wait? Just saying!

Edited by cas1701
spelling mistake

• 2 weeks later...
ginjaninja

Is it possible to store extras in such a way that they do not get misinterpreted as a tvdb special ; better yet do not get interpreted at all just show their folder/filename.

eg

I:\TV03\Twin Peaks\Season 00\Extras\Season 1\The Log Lady\The Log Lady 03.mkv

is currently  interpreted as Twin Peaks S00E03

image.png.521251a5be24c2ecfa9ef153a3698790.png

(4.7.0.15)

If this example was interpreted as "special - Season 1\The Log Lady\The Log Lady 03" or "Special - The log Lady 03" (or similar) then i assume  that wouldnt require any client reworking, rather  just a modification to file ingestion engine to treat files in "extras" folders as 'raw/uninterpreted' specials named as  their [path/]filename. Might this be a quick and dirty solution which provides something (without taking anything from this threads feature request for something more sophisticated in the longer term.).

Bigmack3000
12 minutes ago, ginjaninja said:

Is it possible to store extras in such a way that they do not get misinterpreted as a tvdb special ; better yet do not get interpreted at all just show their folder/filename.

eg

(4.7.0.15)

If this example was interpreted as "special - Season 1\The Log Lady\The Log Lady 03" or "Special - The log Lady 03" (or similar) then i assume  that wouldnt require any client reworking, rather  just a modification to file ingestion engine to treat files in "extras" folders as 'raw/uninterpreted' specials named as  their [path/]filename. Might this be a quick and dirty solution which provides something (without taking anything from this threads feature request for something more sophisticated in the longer term.).

The easiest fix from Emby would be to have TV shows officially recognize folders labeled "Behind the Scenes" "Featurettes" "Deleted Scenes" etc, and then keep those folders from counted towards the episode total.  Alas, that has not happened.  

However, there are a few unsupported tricks.  Any folder labeled "Extras" automatically is combined with the "Specials" folder.  If you name the folder something else it will pop up within the tv show page, there is just no guarantee that it will continue to show up with each time Emby is updated (but I've never had an issue with this yet):

2105550932_ScreenShot2021-10-27at4_01_25PM.thumb.png.e7a4407951eb496ad4448d4f1d9f7dd4.png

The next thing is how to name the individual file.  If you use any numbers then Emby will try to attach that to the nearest episode matching that number.  Therefore, you have to spell out each number to avoid that:

1070457561_ScreenShot2021-10-27at4_01_49PM.thumb.png.2258767a023cb66351c11978338b2128.png

So your pathway would work better as Twin Peaks\Bonus Materials\Season One - The Log Lady Three.mkv

Again, this is technically all unsupported, but it's a workaround. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

eg

(4.7.0.15)

Follow the Emby naming convention for TV extras and you shouldn't have any problems with misidentification.

'\Twin Peaks\Season 00\S00E10 - The Log Lady 03.mkv' should work.

Any remaining extras also name as S00Eyy - where yy is your own numbering - leave a gap between xx and yy so any updates to tvdb do not clash - say start at 50

https://emby.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/44001904299

If you don't want to follow the existing convention, then a feature request it is.

Edited by roaku
  • Like 1

Bigmack3000

That way looks a bit clunky though.  Also, it then puts every extra in the "next up" que after you finish an episode or season.

ginjaninja

thanks this developed my understanding of the options.

I think i will develop a script which i can run on a right click on the extras folder to  prefix files as S00E1000+ onwwards.

manually editing the name of every extra file of course is doable but seems painful.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja
10 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

thanks this developed my understanding of the options.

I think i will develop a script which i can run on a right click on the extras folder to  prefix files as S00E1000+ onwwards.

manually editing the name of every extra file of course is doable but seems painful.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Bigmack3000
On 1/4/2023 at 3:15 PM, Luke said:

Hi, not yet, sorry.

So...any plans for this? 

HI, more options for this are certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.