USB install for Tizen - Remove prompt to install latest version

Pa3400

Pa3400

Hi,

Would it be possible to post a USB install file for Tizen that will not prompt the user to install the new version the following month? The prompt keeps appearing daily.

The reason I ask is that Emby is not on the Australian Samsung App Store and from the the start of each month I receive a daily prompt to update my install of Emby. It keeps appearing until I manually update it to the latest version, going through the USB install process again.

I currently have the premiere version of the server, although I don’t think that makes any difference. One of the reasons I upgraded to premiere was to remove the prompt advising to upgrade to premiere.

Thanks,

Henry

• Agree 1

Hi, the main issue is if you're sideloading, we want to avoid having you never be aware of updates and potentially getting stuck on a really old version of the app for a long time, that will probably eventually have problems.

serpi

Sure, But the way it works, it's annoying as hell. The message blocks the whole screen and often (like today) it appears, after I started the app and the first video on my next up list.

Zje the message comes up, blocking the video, I press enter on the remote and the video pauses, so I have to jump back and start the video again.

Why not make the message less annoying, just a simple foot/head note that doesn't block the whole screen.

And there are more problems with the message.

Again, I get the message about a new version. I goto to this community, check the release notes but there is no new version mentioned.

I like to know, what has changed, before I update the app.

So please, do not put up the new version, before you have updated the release notes, which should be obvious.

Also, a date in the release notes for each build would also be nice.

Then there's the problem, that I cannot simply update the app from USB.

I have to uninstall it, install it again, put it on the main screen and then set the display settings for all users, as I do not want my wife and children to kick my butt, when the app looks different for them the next time.

It would be nice to have at least the settings restored, when reinstalling the app.

Of course, all these problems wouldn't exist, if the app was simply available in the store (for me germany/europe).

What is the problem, after all these years?

lejared

Can you please at least increase the time interval until the message is displayed again, e.g. every three months?

Right now it's even more annoying as it seems there is not even a newer version than the 1.78 which I already have installed right now, as listed here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31461-emby-for-samsung-smarttv-release-notes-tizen-orsay/

Pa3400

Hi Luke,

If we have to have a reminder, a less invasive reminder would be welcome e.g. maybe a message that displays in the background for 2 seconds that doesn’t require acknowledgement to continue? Or if we have to have the message the current way where it stops all activity, maybe it pops up when the version is 90 days old instead of approx 30 days?

Or maybe we can have a setting to turn off checking for updates like other applications do and this way, it’s up to the user to get the latest version if something stops working.

I would like to think there are many less invasive ways to get the message across and I‘m hoping this is a relatively simple change.

I also wish it were on the Aus store but I doubt that’s going to happen anytime soon.

Hopefully we can get a better solution because aside from this, the app works great. I saw a post a while back where a community member requested a skip forward / back similar to the android app, hopefully that’s coming soon to the tizen Version too.

Thanks.

Right I agree we can do better than the current behavior. Essentially what we have now is a cheap way of handling it until we're able to go back and spend more time on it to do something better.

serpi

Right now it's even more annoying as it seems there is not even a newer version than the 1.78 which I already have installed right now, as listed here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31461-emby-for-samsung-smarttv-release-notes-tizen-orsay/

Well there is/was a new version, just no release notes.

If you download the tizen.zip you will see that the files have a new date in it (05/31/2020).

The release notes have now updated with the new version number (and date!), but still not what has changed.

Also, the "new version" message only pops up, when there is really a new version.

Ciao, Alfred

lejared

Also, the "new version" message only pops up, when there is really a new version.

No, it does not. As Luke stated here the update notification is just a monthly prompt that starts on 1st of the next month. It's hard coded in every USB-sideload version. There is no check, if there is an actual new version available.

So it might even be possible that the release notes for 1.0.79 are actually right: This version might have no significant changes and has been released just to silence this "new version"-message for another month.

Edited by lejared

There are actually, mainly continued development of the live tv guide, which was very newly rewritten at the time of last month's update.

serpi

No, it does not. As Luke stated here the update notification is just a monthly prompt that starts on 1st of the next month. It's hard coded in every USB-sideload version. There is no check, if there is an actual new version available.

Oh, ok, sorry, didn't know that, I just realized, that there's always seems to be a new version available, when the app reminder pops up (and often there are no release notes for it).

That, of course, makes the message just more annoying, there should be an option to disable it.

Better way for this would be a builtin list in the server with lowest version needed for the different kind of client apps and then, when a client connects, give this number back to the client, so that it then can displey a message, that you should upgrade the app with option for ignoring this (at own risc).

So there's no need for a requester every month or online checking for new version, the user will only get annoyed if he really has to update.

But an annoying requester every month without the real need for it is really silly.

Ciao, Alfred

• 11 months later...
ryled_up

Has there been any further considerations on this?  Hitting ok is annoying yes but not the end of the world. The issue I run into is when it displays at the same time as making a selection like selecting the user for example.  The notice is displayed but the button is grey (instead of green) and can’t be selected. Sometimes pressing back, select, or the directional buttons on the remote multiple times gets me out but usually I have to force close the app. From there, run the app again but and wait for the notice before trying anything. I started just updating at the beginning of every month before the notices start showing but that can’t be the only solution. 

Thanks. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, ryled_up said:

Has there been any further considerations on this?  Hitting ok is annoying yes but not the end of the world. The issue I run into is when it displays at the same time as making a selection like selecting the user for example.  The notice is displayed but the button is grey (instead of green) and can’t be selected. Sometimes pressing back, select, or the directional buttons on the remote multiple times gets me out but usually I have to force close the app. From there, run the app again but and wait for the notice before trying anything. I started just updating at the beginning of every month before the notices start showing but that can’t be the only solution. 

Thanks. 

Hi, yes we can look at improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

lejared

I've experienced the same. Most when the message pops up unexpected for the first time after a month. After then you either update instantly or wait for the message to pop up an close it before making any other navigation in the app, because "force quit" and restart is the only way to solve this problem.

• 10 months later...
IMEDNZ
On 06/05/2021 at 16:14, Luke said:

Hi, yes we can look at improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Luke,

I have a yacht here that we have changed from the Windows app running on PC's to the Samsung app and it seems much better however, this update message has come up and would be great if we could get rid of it somehow? Is there any way to disable it or have a version we can download without this message?

The yacht has 8 Samsung Frame displays and the control units for these are behind bulkheads or in ceiling spaces so even accessing the USB ports takes about 15 minutes at least to access each one. The vessel returns to New Zealand once a year where we could do the updates to the displays and to the Emby server (Premiere Lifetime Licensed). We don't want to be updating while it's away at sea or overseas.

Is there any easy fix for this as the vessel will be leaving in May?

Thanks

Mike

45 minutes ago, IMEDNZ said:

Hi Luke,

I have a yacht here that we have changed from the Windows app running on PC's to the Samsung app and it seems much better however, this update message has come up and would be great if we could get rid of it somehow? Is there any way to disable it or have a version we can download without this message?

The yacht has 8 Samsung Frame displays and the control units for these are behind bulkheads or in ceiling spaces so even accessing the USB ports takes about 15 minutes at least to access each one. The vessel returns to New Zealand once a year where we could do the updates to the displays and to the Emby server (Premiere Lifetime Licensed). We don't want to be updating while it's away at sea or overseas.

Thanks

Mike

HI, what message exactly are you referring to?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, IMEDNZ said:

Hi Luke,

Thanks

Mike

Unfortunately Samsung has imposed this requirement.

Samsung's policy is that the only official way to distribute apps is through the Samsung store and that usb installs should be used for testing purposes only.  Because of this policy Samsung has mandated that usb distributed apps must expire within 30 days of compiling.  To help with testing you will be remined to update to the latest beta release as the app expires to ensure you are using the latest version when reporting issues.

IMEDNZ
2 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, what message exactly are you referring to?

Hi Luke, the message that comes up saying there is an update available? This is a sideloaded app installed via USB so I think this message comes up after a month of installing from what I have read on other posts. Is there a way to get rid of this? Thanks

IMEDNZ
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Unfortunately Samsung has imposed this requirement.

Hi, sorry I had missed your post. Does this mean the app will stop working or it just has the update message?

Otherwise, how can I install through the app store? It is not available when we search for it?

If there is no work around, what would be another solution you would recommend? We originally used Windows clients. These had all sorts of issues when the Emby server couldn't phone phone and it dropped the premiere licence. The Samsung app seems to work well but this issue with sideloading and update popups will not be acceptable.

I was thinking we could use Apple TV's and load the Emby app onto those but unsure if any other potential issues might come up going that route.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

39 minutes ago, IMEDNZ said:

Hi, sorry I had missed your post. Does this mean the app will stop working or it just has the update message?

Otherwise, how can I install through the app store? It is not available when we search for it?

If there is no work around, what would be another solution you would recommend? We originally used Windows clients. These had all sorts of issues when the Emby server couldn't phone phone and it dropped the premiere licence. The Samsung app seems to work well but this issue with sideloading and update popups will not be acceptable.

I was thinking we could use Apple TV's and load the Emby app onto those but unsure if any other potential issues might come up going that route.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

It will stop working and give you a less friendly error message that gives you no idea of what to do. That's why we put up our own inside the app a couple days earlier.

FrostByte
5 hours ago, IMEDNZ said:

The only other option would be to change the app region of your frame TVs to one of the countries it is available to download from the store.  Assuming your TV is still supported by Samsung

Edited by FrostByte

IMEDNZ
On 16/03/2022 at 22:07, FrostByte said:

The only other option would be to change the app region of your frame TVs to one of the countries it is available to download from the store.  Assuming your TV is still supported by Samsung

Thanks for the suggestion FrostByte. I was thinking that as well that this might be a way of getting around it. There are 8 TV's in total that were installed around 2019 so should be supported.

• Like 1

IMEDNZ
On 16/03/2022 at 17:40, Luke said:

It will stop working and give you a less friendly error message that gives you no idea of what to do. That's why we put up our own inside the app a couple days earlier.

Thanks for clearing that up Luke. 

• Thanks 1