Chapters

amoisis

amoisis

Hi

I am using the new player interface in MB Classic it is great the way it is working esp with chapters.

a lot of my movies do not contain chapters.

Is it possible to load chapter data from chapterdb.org into a separate file and use those timings for chapter markers?

Thanks everyone for the hard work it is really coming along great.

Cheesegeezer

Hi

I am using the new player interface in MB Classic it is great the way it is working esp with chapters.

a lot of my movies do not contain chapters.

Is it possible to load chapter data from chapterdb.org into a separate file and use those timings for chapter markers?

Thanks everyone for the hard work it is really coming along great.

Don't fret my good friend, Chapter retrieval will soon be in MBS Core, we are currently working hard to ensure the chapters are accurate for your movies.

Unfortunately tho, there is no recognized way to drop in a chapter.xml into your movie folder and have the chapter names/times used from their.  

The only way is to use mkvmerge and manually and in the chapter info and then recode the movie.

Hope that helps

@@Tim Hobbs

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

AdrianW

The only way is to use mkvmerge and manually and in the chapter info and then recode the movie.

Only remuxing would be required not re-encoding.

Note: even if you have no real chapter data, MBS should have automatically created chapters at 10 minute intervals.

Tim Hobbs

I think it is 5 minute intervals, but either way it is not really important since ideally real chapters would be used.

Within each movie.xml there is a chapter section, but unfortunately this is not used. The chapters are stored in a sqlite db file. If you want to be brave you can modify this with and sqlite db editor, but ideally this would be something done with a simple metadata refresh. This is where it gets complicated...

do  have this working. The biggest issue - the cdb data. There is a ton of crappy chapter data in there. On top of that, the api doesn't allow for easily filtering out the crap, so this has been put on hold.

I have been in touch with the guy that runs cdb, but he is otherwise occupied and not too responsive. I have made some additions/changes to the cdb sites code and api, but ultimately it is up to him. Perhaps if some of you send him some comments about wanting to use his chapters in MB3 it'll spur him on to work with me.

At this point I think the best thing that could be done would be to allow for using either the chapter.xml file directly, or allowing users to copy/paste the xml into the metadata editor to set chapters up manually. Unfortunately, I don't think Luke would be interested in that even if I were to submit a patch with the capability, so I have just sort of given up on the whole thing until I hear back from Jarrett at cdb.

• Like 1

yea the core work is incomplete but the plan was to read/write from metadata, download from the internet, and manage from the editing interface. but it's not happening without an automated source as we're not going to put in all that work just to make people do it by hand. so if you do want to do it by hand, just put the chapters in the file directly.

Tim Hobbs

@@Luke - What currently happens with subtitles? I look at subtitles a lot like chapters: there are lots of subtitles files but not all of them fit the video properly. With all the chapter data at cdb it is a lot the same.

If there was a way to pick a different result from cdb I think that would go a long way towards getting this working decently. As long as the result is the correct one it works. But when there are results that aren't so good it would be nice to be able to choose a different result manually. Is that a possibility? I think if we can do that I could work out a little logic to try to get better matches from cdb and we could get this thing going in mbs.

Tim Hobbs

Oh yeah - and what about a metadata field for the cdb id, just like imdb id? That would be even better than a popup interface or just rotating to the next cdb result.

anything community contributed is never going to be perfect. open subtitles is a fairly trusted source, and people who are familiar with it know what to expect. at least the hashing techniques improve the chances of a good match. chapter db on the other hand isn't quite at the same level as you can't even filter by language. in my estimation it's the best choice, but unfortunately none of the choices are very good.

Necker

Whats going on with chapters these days? It used to be that it created one evey 5 minute interval, but it seems with things i have added recently the timings of chapters are all a bit random.

Here's an example

post-476-0-30415100-1405109117_thumb.jpg

Necker

Those are probably real chapters - defined within the file.

Oh ok, that makes sense. If some of them are wrong is there anyway to correct them.

Thanks

buddyweiser

Oh ok, that makes sense. If some of them are wrong is there anyway to correct them.

Thanks

I thinky you have to remux the video files to change the chapter