An issue with subtitles. Emby load several instances of the same subtitle file.

ptre

Hi,

I have noticed that lately the Emby server has started to load several instances of the same subtitle file. That is, I have something like 20 instances of the same subtitle file named "...1.se.sub", "...2.se.sub", etc.

After I looked into it, the reason seems to be that in the subtitle provider the file ends with ".srt" but the content format is ".sub" format. Emby server seems to have changed the file end to ".sub" and for some reason loads an additional file during every subtitle scan. If I convert that kind of ".sub" -file to srt-format and change the file name to end with ".srt", emby does not load an additional instance of the file anymore.

This seems like a bug or is the some kind of setting to prevent this behaviour?

Thank you!

Hi, what do you mean by emby server changed the file?

When I go to one of the "problematic" episode and search for a subtitles file I get that there is a single file available (please see the attached picture). So, the only available file is a "srt" file. If I download it using the "cloud"-icon the file in the directory will end as ".sub". Additionally, the format of the contents of the file is sub-format.

So, my guess is that Emby performs the similar download during subtitle download recurring task and for some reason download the same file even thought it has already been downloaded. This happens only for a small portion of episodes and I have check few of them and they all have the same thing. That is, srt-file is found in the subtitle provider but when I download it, I get a ".sub"-file formatted as sub.

Does this clarify the behavior?

post-499799-0-63631000-1590855599_thumb.png

Edited by ptre

Please attach the emby server log. thanks.

Is there a way to sanitize the logs? Or send them to somewhere else than post them here?

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, ptre said:

Yes, I did. However, as far as I understood the logs, there was not anything special in them.

Are you sure? i did not receive any from you.

Hi, the log you provided was only a small snippet. I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to see there. Do you still get these duplicate downloads on version 4.4.3?

If it no longer happens then I would consider it resolved and just manually delete the existing ones. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:08 AM, Luke said:

Hi, the log you provided was only a small snippet. I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to see there. Do you still get these duplicate downloads on version 4.4.3?

Unfortunately, the problem is still happening.

Yes, as I wrote earlier, the log does not show anything special. I send the snipped that covered the log entries around the action of downloading a subtitle that caused the problem to happen.

So, should I sent log entries using the current version of Emby or what should I do next?

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
mondowondo

I don't pay much attention to my server, most of the time it works so that's good enough.  However, I also have 100s of .srt files for each movie. Can I delete these, which should I keep?  Looks like the most recent duplicate  ....398.en.srt is from 08/09/2021

Another issue I had that may be related is we tried to watch a movie on emby a few weeks ago but it wouldn't play. I could double click on the mkv file and play the movie using vlc so we watched it that way.  Later I looked at the emby server and it said the reason it didn't play because of the transcoding caused by the subtitles. I'd be happy to send the log files if you want to look at it.

Edited by mondowondo

15 minutes ago, mondowondo said:

I don't pay much attention to my server, most of the time it works so that's good enough.  However, I also have 100s of .srt files for each movie. Can I delete these, which should I keep?  Looks like the most recent duplicate  ....398.en.srt is from 08/09/2021

Another issue I had that may be related is we tried to watch a movie on emby a few weeks ago but it wouldn't play. I could double click on the mkv file and play the movie using vlc so we watched it that way.  Later I looked at the emby server and it said the reason it didn't play because of the transcoding caused by the subtitles. I'd be happy to send the log files if you want to look at it.

hi, it's hard to say without looking at a specific example but yes you can delete the duplicates and then run a library scan 

• Like 1

mondowondo

You suggested to run a library scan, that caused me to realize that I can just delete all 47,245 srt files and let emby start over with srt files.  That's much easier than choosing which of the files to keep.  thanks

• Thanks 1