MKV Transcoding - Direct Play

utamovita
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

utamovita

I am new to Emby and media servers and have created one in my house, I wonder if there is any way to disable transcoding on MKV files in order to use direct-play, I am converting the files into MKV to MP4 using Handbrake to avoid high CPU usage.

The files in MKV are animes, usually with dual-audio and subtitles, below an example:

5ed1ee9f6f1c0_fileInfo.png

• Solution
pwhodges

Emby will always prefer direct play unless (1) the container is not handled by the client, (2) the codec (video, audio, subtitles) is not handled by the client, (3) the bandwidth required is greater than that available (taking into account restrictions in the server and client settings).

Various clients have different limitations because of both hardware and software differences, and so it is up to you to ensure that your files are in a format that can be direct-played on your devices.  You can look at the stats for nerds (an on-screen option while playing) to see the reason for transcoding in any specific instance.

Emby's transcoding uses h.264 and aac as the most universally compatible codecs; mp4 is a more widely compatible container than mkv, and it's only serious limitation is in limiting numbers of subtitles.  So if you use those as your targets in Handbrake, and specify a bandwidth that will meet your network's situation, you should be good to go with no transcoding.

EDIT: Just realised you said anime.  Sure, that's my main usage too.  Multiple audios is no problem in mp4, but I believe multiple subtitles is (actually, I mainly use mkv, but I'm happy with the transcoding).  The way to get around this is to extract the subtitles and have them in separate files - Emby handles that fine (like most video players).

One last comment.  If you use compatible codecs, Emby is also capable of remuxing from an mkv file on the fly, but without transcoding.  Obviously this is less load on the server.  So it may be that sometimes when you think you are seeing transcoding, you are not, in fact.  Check the stats for nerds to find out.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 2

That's right, Emby will always direct play whenever possible, so there's nothing you need to do to force that.

What Emby app did you try playing from?

utamovita

Emby will always prefer direct play unless (1) the container is not handled by the client, (2) the codec (video, audio, subtitles) is not handled by the client, (3) the bandwidth required is greater than that available (taking into account restrictions in the server and client settings).

Various clients have different limitations because of both hardware and software differences, and so it is up to you to ensure that your files are in a format that can be direct-played on your devices.  You can look at the stats for nerds (an on-screen option while playing) to see the reason for transcoding in any specific instance.

Emby's transcoding uses h.264 and aac as the most universally compatible codecs; mp4 is a more widely compatible container than mkv, and it's only serious limitation is in limiting numbers of subtitles.  So if you use those as your targets in Handbrake, and specify a bandwidth that will meet your network's situation, you should be good to go with no transcoding.

EDIT: Just realised you said anime.  Sure, that's my main usage too.  Multiple audios is no problem in mp4, but I believe multiple subtitles is (actually, I mainly use mkv, but I'm happy with the transcoding).  The way to get around this is to extract the subtitles and have them in separate files - Emby handles that fine (like most video players).

One last comment.  If you use compatible codecs, Emby is also capable of remuxing from an mkv file on the fly, but without transcoding.  Obviously this is less load on the server.  So it may be that sometimes when you think you are seeing transcoding, you are not, in fact.  Check the stats for nerds to find out.

Paul

Thanks!

That's right, Emby will always direct play whenever possible, so there's nothing you need to do to force that.

What Emby app did you try playing from?

I'm using it on mobile and in my browser(Firefox).

pwhodges

Browsers do not handle h.265, so will always require transcoding if that's your main storage codec. 

When you say "mobile", what do you mean?  Android? iOS?  They have different capabilities, and in the case of Android (I can't remember on iOS) you can specify for the client to use a different player if you have one installed that you prefer.  

Indeed, I'm about to try that out, as I've found that my Android device won't play h.265/main10 - so it transcodes, and I get a good result; but it will play h.265/main - so it direct plays, but the Android actually plays it badly and I get a choppy result (things can get messy!).

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

utamovita

Browsers do not handle h.265, so will always require transcoding if that's your main storage codec. 

When you say "mobile", what do you mean?  Android? iOS?  They have different capabilities, and in the case of Android (I can't remember on iOS) you can specify for the client to use a different player if you have one installed that you prefer.  

Indeed, I'm about to try that out, as I've found that my Android device won't play h.265/main10 - so it transcodes, and I get a good result; but it will play h.265/main - so it direct plays, but the Android actually plays it badly and I get a choppy result (things can get messy!).

Paul

Sorry, i'm using Android 9 Pie with MIUI  Global 11.

I encoded all the anime in my folders and the result was very good.

It does not use anything from the processor and the video runs without lag on Desktop and Android.