Connecting emby app to emby plugin on Kodi

tkdteacher

tkdteacher

Hey all - Trying to set up a media server that I can also use to stream to tablets when traveling. I originally started with Raspbian and attempting to install emby with pivpn and ipvanish, and got completely lost in a rabbit hole. 

I ended up reflashing the SD card with Libreelect and Kodi. I installed the emby plugin for Kodi, but when I try to connect from the android app and add a server it never finds it, even with the IP.

I'm sure I'm missing something basic, if someone could point me at a good guide, that would be helpful.

Edited by tkdteacher

Hi there, are you sure the device running Kodi can reach the server? Are you sure the ip address you entered is correct?

• Like 1

tkdteacher

From your question, am I to understand that simply adding the emby plugin for Kodi is not enough, and I also have to install an emby server on the same raspberry pi that is running kodi?

tkdteacher

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how you set up an emby server in Kodi, when libreelec boots straight into Kodi. I've tried connecting through putty and downloading the distro for emby but it won't let me install it. I've installed the emby add on, but it just balks whenever i go into server settings because it's evidently expecting an existing server.

From your question, am I to understand that simply adding the emby plugin for Kodi is not enough, and I also have to install an emby server on the same raspberry pi that is running kodi?

Emby for Kodi is designed to play content from your Emby Server, so yes, you do need the server software. This could be on the same Pi or on any other device that we support:

https://emby.media/download.html

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.