Plex Watch Together

e123enitan

ertagon2
On 7/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, dannymichel said:

Yup, as I pointed out to earlier, just because people don’t feature request, it doesn’t mean people don’t want it.

In my opinion, the more the staff relies on the forum as a means to request features the more misleading will the number be.

This is what is needed https://features.jellyfin.org/, a clear list that people can go through.

• Like 1

dannymichel
7 minutes ago, ertagon2 said:

In my opinion, the more the staff relies on the forum as a means to request features the more misleading will the number be.

This is what is needed https://features.jellyfin.org/, a clear list that people can go through.

Couldn’t agree more 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ertagon2 said:

I don't really understand why you think an even more limited forum for feedback would improve it?  If people aren't participating in this forum then they also won't participate in that one.

We have this FR forum and a way for people to "vote" on the features they want.

However, any such "forum" (in whatever form) can only be a single input to a very complex equation.  The people who participate in such things is only a small subset of the real user base and usually a very technically-biased one at that.

The reality is that there is some subset of users that feel every single request is the most important one so we have to take in the input here and then also consider a lot of other factors and then weigh those against the cost of said feature.

In the end, its up to us to meet expectations.  If we don't, then people go elsewhere but it is also impossible to meet everyone's expectations.  So we have to try and produce the best set of features for the largest benefiting audience we can.  Again, if we fail, people go elsewhere.  That is the ultimate test.

• Agree 1

jspanitz
56 minutes ago, ebr said:

I don't really understand why you think an even more limited forum for feedback would improve it?  If people aren't participating in this forum then they also won't participate in that one.

It's easier to find, somewhat better organized, easier to read, easier to vote and see the vote count.  I mean what could be cleaner than this:

image.png.1daf1c35f331a1245093fd377b3a1229.png

• Like 1

ertagon2
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Here is what that list has that you don't.
- It's easily searchable
- It's sortable
- No duplicates
- Easy to track

I am not saying get rid of the forum, you could have links to the posts. Once again you are too focused on refusing my idea that you can't even take the one extra step to improve it.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

We have this FR forum and a way for people to "vote" on the features they want.

Please tell me you are not being serious.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

However, any such "forum" (in whatever form) can only be a single input to a very complex equation.  The people who participate in such things is only a small subset of the real user base and usually a very technically-biased one at that.

It's not about participation per se. Also I'd argue that your whole user base is technically-biased, at least to some degree.

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

1 hour ago, ebr said:

The reality is that there is some subset of users that feel every single request is the most important one so we have to take in the input here and then also consider a lot of other factors and then weigh those against the cost of said feature.

That's why having an index that collects features into a list is a good solution, it'd help everyone.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

In the end, its up to us to meet expectations.  If we don't, then people go elsewhere but it is also impossible to meet everyone's expectations.  So we have to try and produce the best set of features for the largest benefiting audience we can.  Again, if we fail, people go elsewhere.  That is the ultimate test.

||
 ||
\/

1 hour ago, dannymichel said:

Couldn’t agree more 

40 minutes ago, jspanitz said:

I'll 3rd this

• Like 1

Dreakon13

One, I'd like this feature.  I'd both find excuses to use it, and I feel like it'd be a huge selling point/marketing tool for the platform.

Two, I think people confuse the feature requests here.  It's not that Emby develops the most popular feature, it's just to give the team ideas (and it being something someone wants is an added bonus).  Something with hundreds of votes may never get developed if it isn't necessary or cost effective to do so, and something with two votes might get developed if it's fairly easy and looks good in the next versions release notes.  With that in mind, I think something like that Jellyfin page will only frustrate users more, as making highly voted feature requests more visible isn't magically going to give the Emby team the staff/resources to prioritize them.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Agree 2

Cheesegeezer
54 minutes ago, ertagon2 said:

Here is what that list has that you don't.
- It's easily searchable
- It's sortable
- No duplicates
- Easy to track

I am not saying get rid of the forum, you could have links to the posts. Once again you are too focused on refusing my idea that you can't even take the one extra step to improve it.

Please tell me you are not being serious.

It's not about participation per se. Also I'd argue that your whole user base is technically-biased, at least to some degree.

That's why having an index that collects features into a list is a good solution, it'd help everyone.

||
 ||
\/

Some boy!! Get of ya arse and help out! 

pin has been pulled hehehehhee 

ertagon2
13 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

I swear if I wasn't preoccupied with my thesis I'd write my own solution or just contribute to jellyfin.

Cheesegeezer
14 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

One, I'd like this feature.  I'd both find excuses to use it, and I feel like it'd be a huge selling point/marketing tool for the platform.

Two, I think people confuse the feature requests here.  It's not that Emby develops the most popular feature, it's just to give the team an ideas (and it being something someone wants is an added bonus).  Something with hundreds of votes may never get developed if it isn't necessary or cost effective to do so, and something with two votes might get developed if it's fairly easy and looks good in the next versions release notes.  With that in mind, I think something like that Jellyfin page will only frustrate users more, as making highly voted feature requests more visible isn't magically going to give the Emby team the staff/resources to prioritize them.

Well said… and by going down that route you could end up with 100’s of topics with over a thousand up votes, so you are in the same scenario 

Cheesegeezer
1 minute ago, ertagon2 said:

I swear if I wasn't preoccupied with my thesis I'd write my own solution or just contribute to jellyfin.

Bye… jog on fella

• Sad 1

ertagon2
2 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Bye… jog on fella

2 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Such a constructive reply.

Explains the state of emby.

No further questions your honor.
Nolle prosequi 

Edited by ertagon2
Submitted additional evidence
  • Agree 1

Cheesegeezer
3 hours ago, ertagon2 said:

Such a constructive reply.

similar to your replies

Explains the state of emby.

state of emby is pretty good. 

No further questions your honor.
Nolle prosequi 

• Sad 1

Guest phoenixexcinere

@ertagon2

Well, I would also like the watch together feature, but in the main post, but the programming effort is not small. That would be a big deal and the main post only has 31 likes. So there are not many who want this feature.

Currently there are other things being implemented by the Emby team that are also not insignificant and that were requested by many more users.
There would be Intro Skip, Iridium, visual changes that many would like and Spotlight and so on.

That's why watch together is probably not on the priority list at the moment.
That is surely the reason. But that doesn't mean that there will never be a watch together function.
Just wait and see what comes and look forward to the upcoming updates. :)

BillOatman
51 minutes ago, phoenixexcinere said:

@ertagon2

Well, I would also like the watch together feature, but in the main post, but the programming effort is not small. That would be a big deal and the main post only has 31 likes. So there are not many who want this feature.

Currently there are other things being implemented by the Emby team that are also not insignificant and that were requested by many more users.
There would be Intro Skip, Iridium, visual changes that many would like and Spotlight and so on.

That's why watch together is probably not on the priority list at the moment.
That is surely the reason. But that doesn't mean that there will never be a watch together function.
Just wait and see what comes and look forward to the upcoming updates. :)

That's one way open source projects such as JellyFin have an advantage over closed source projects like Emby.
In theory anyway, if a handful of those 31 "likes" came from people capable of developing software, they could add the feature.

But I suspect you are right, there are more desired features that are being worked on by the Emby developers.

Edited by BillOatman

dannymichel
13 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

That's one way open source projects such as JellyFin have an advantage over closed source projects like Emby.
In theory anyway, if a handful of those 31 "likes" came from people capable of developing software, they could add the feature.

But I suspect you are right, there are more desired features that are being worked on by the Emby developers.

Jellyfin has had the watch together feature for quite some time now. Too bad they just don’t have clients that actually work well other than the desktop web version. None of their desktop non browser apps work and neither does mobile or fire stick. Closest thing to *working* you’re gonna get with Jellyfin as far as clients is infuse 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
ertagon2
On 7/7/2022 at 5:30 AM, Cheesegeezer said:

similar to your replies

No not really, I expressed an opinion and tried to justify it. You simply disregarded my opinion providing no explanation whatsoever.
The way I understand your response is... you didn't like what I said because it goes against what you think and as such you decided what I wrote is not worth anything.
Hence your reply is not constructive at all and it's only purpose was to vent some emotions (whatever they might be) on your side.

I was going to write a retort to your reply, but it would be a waste of bits.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:30 AM, Cheesegeezer said:

state of emby is pretty good. 

As shown in this thread. Very unbiased. Much objectivity.

Tho it ain't terrible. But you I wouldn't go as far as saying "pretty good".
It is "pretty good" when it works.

I am not claiming I can do better, I have no time (yet) for such things. But it's the same as when watching football... you don't need to be able to play it to understand a bad play.

• Like 2

chef
25 minutes ago, samuelqwe said:

I have a bunch of crazy ideas of how we could get around this, might be too crazy though... 😆

If they're your crazy ideas, I'm in Sam!

• Like 2

t123thomas

Glad see this thread is gaining support, this request has been overdue, however, I appreciated comments about Emby Team  have other pressing  higher priority projects.

That said, may I express that we collaborate thoughts and resource to implement what is needed to create the project and damp tempers.

Please count me in for testing

2 hours ago, chef said:

If they're your crazy ideas, I'm in Sam!

• Like 1

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, dannymichel said:

If this and random library order sorting was a thing I would pay for Emby premiere 

If this ever makes it to core it should probably be required to have Premiere.  Not everyone will want/need this feature.

• Like 1

Guys - I'd suggest maybe you start your own thread in the plug-ins forum to continue this discussion.

Thanks.

• Agree 1

rbjtech
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, please, but I would suggest using our Channel interface for this instead of trying to directly manipulate libraries.  Channels show up just like a library.

Plugin thread created - here :

Mods - Please could you move all the posts from Chef's original 'starter' post on Friday into the Plugin post above instead ?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
DanielFrank

I don't see any good reason why this feature is not already existing. It has been suggested ever since 2015, and has already been made possible by other major platforms. Can we get an update whether this is going to be considered or not?

• Like 2