The importance of good hardware monitoring software ..

rbjtech

rbjtech

So I just had a fan stop working today in one of my disk enclosures - luckily, my HDD Monitoring software (HDD Sentinel) picked it up as a warning disk overheat before any damage was done and I received the Alert via email, but it would have been nice to pickup the fan failure itself (rather than the consequential overheat..) and get a txt or whatapp'd for the event.

What do you guys use for hardware monitoring ? HDD Sentinel is nice but it can't sent txt and any push notifications and can only do HDD's  ..  :(

5ecff298b6adf_email.png

Alerted @ 17:51 - Fixed by 17:59 - Whew ...

5ecff2ba36a74_HDS.png

mastrmind11

Netdata for system wide monitoring.  Or you can roll your own w/ hddtemp and pushover in a pretty simple cron/bash script if all you care about is hard drive info.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Splunk, PRTG, this one might still be free, pretty basic but sends alerts: https://www.hwinfo.com/about-software/

Also some hardware (servers) have built in hardware to monitor hardware...  For example, my server has an on-board IPMI that gives some basic info/alerting/logging:

5ed05fda9f918_1.png

5ed05fe521a4a_2.png

5ed05fedde0f3_3.png

5ed05ff5899e6_4.png

• Like 1

rbjtech

I'm going to take a look at some of these.   I have a basic syslog server receiving alerts on all my devices now, so I may expand on that to make it do something with the alerts rather than just log them .. haha.

The failure made me realise that a £5 fan is cooling £800 worth of disk (!) so need to also think about cooling redundancy … it never ends  :D

Thanks all !

Sammy

I've been using CPUID's Hardware Monitor for a couple of decades now. I never even thought to look elsewhere. HWInfo looks pretty good..