Nvidia Shield & Multiple PGS Subtitles on Screen

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Here we go(Please ignore any backround noise):

PGS Subs in Emby on Android TV(NVIDIA Shield): https://photos.app.goo.gl/3xju9BK1qGwocRyBA

PGS Subs in Plex  on Android TV(NVIDIA Shield):  https://photos.app.goo.gl/YdN5TThDKHyBeSS86

The PGS subs display perfectly fine in the browser, and on my phone & tablet(and Plex).  It's the same issue I have with SSA / ASS subs unless I burn them in.(Plex burns SSA / ASS in as well though, so I don't mind about that) I thought it was related to transparent subtitles, but it appears not according to the other thread, and you said to address it separately, so I made this one.

Both Plex and Emby use Exoplayer, yes? So I'm wondering what's different here. Both are direct played with the same subs. 

As you can see on Emby, the subtitles keep flickering out of existence.  When more than one subtitle layer tries to appear, one disappears or they both do. In Plex, all layers   show perfectly fine. I can't think of a setting in Emby to correct this behavior.

Unfortunately in anime, this kind of thing is very common in subtitles, and I mainly use Emby for Movies + Anime, like 50/50, so anything that uses PGS subs...I am kind of shit out of luck with wanting to direct play these. I've also tried SubDB and OpenSubtitles, but it can be tough to match an entire series and they're not always timed right and whatnot. Infact, I tried some and a few  were alright, but many were completely wrong or only found a few subtitles for each series. So alternative subtitles like SRT are not in the cards without a ton of effort and time.

As per suggestions in the other thread; if I force transcoding with the "Fix issues" option, they display correctly when they burn in...but then I'm transcoding, getting AAC Audio  ect and not direct playing, so not ideal.  Meanwhile in Plex they play perfectly, I get TrueHD Audio and I can skip around as I please. It'd be wonderful if it could be fixed.

My last 3 issues with Emby that are keeping me from fully accepting premiere was worth it are this, SSA / ASS subtitles needing to be burned in for proper display (But I mean...Plex does that too, so I guess it's not easy to fix. Maybe one day?), and the fact that it seems super strict on naming for identifying series for some reason. (compared to Plex, which when I put a new series in it instantly identifies it, regardless of folder name / structure. With Emby I needed to use TMM and a bunch of other programs to completely rename and label all my media properly. It took a bit of time and effort, wondering why Plex can just instantly do it and Emby can't, they both use TVDB).

Edited by Mkilbride

The Plex ones aren't really working properly either as any with a different position are being duplicated it looks like.

Are you running the beta version (1.8.05) of our app?

Mkilbride

Yeah. I tried it on 1.8.05 (I tried updating it after I ran into this issue, after my format I was still on 1.8.0.0)

Also, what do you mean the Plex ones aren't working properly? I saw nothing wrong with the display. I didn't see anything being duplicated.

Edited by Mkilbride

Sorry, they were moving so fast that I thought there were some dups but I can now see they are different.

In those same spots, the subs flash up briefly in our app.  I distinctly remember a similar bug being fixed in Exo not too long ago.  You are 100% sure that video is with our 1.8.05?

Mkilbride

Aye. It 100% is. When I go to settings it says "1.8.05 g registered" in the corner.

Mkilbride

So any thoughts on this? Do you guys have a different subtitle engine or something? I thought since it was exoplayer, it's the same thing internally.

We haven't done anything differently. Exo does not support this particular variant of PGS subs at this time.  I do not know the internals of what the other guys are or are not doing so cannot comment on that.

We have it in our plans to try and extend this but we'll have to do it ourselves I think as Google isn't really all that interested in it (no streaming media has these subs).

Mkilbride

Weird, if it's the same, no idea why Plex does them just fine. I guess I can keep burning in for now, just kind of a little annoying.

Mkilbride

There's they're really just no fix for this?, even tried turning off subtitle extraction on the Fly. I also tried playing it with VLC from my emby server and Kodi and MMC, and all of them displayed subtitles properly without transcoding. Gonna try jellyfin when I get home.

**I've just tested with Emby. File direct played and subtitles were perfect.

So Plex, Jellyfin, VLC, Kodi, ect, no problem.  What could be causing this?  Heck, if the Jellyfin UI wasn't so terrible, I might want a refund on my Premiere and switch to that...but it's UI is so...ugh.  A nightmare to navigate and I'm pretty tech savy.

They all use Exoplayer, as far as I'm aware.  (Plex, Emby and Jellyfin, that is).  At the very least Emby and Plex use it. I see that Jellyfin has other options like libVLC. 

Edited by Mkilbride

My guess is JF is running it through VLC - which will have other limitations.

But can anyone provide me with sample media with this type of subtitle so I can test myself?

Thanks.

Ellimist

I want contribute to this discussion by saying that I've started using VLC on my Shield as the external player rather than the built in Exoplayer which has issues with direct-playing high-resolution FLAC and styled subtitles. It's slightly inconvenient, sure, but I can direct play everything I have. And the integration is better than I expected, with the choice to not mark as watched and the choice to start playing the next episode in a series automatically.

It seems like there was a push towards using LibVLC as the native player around 2015, but that plan was abandoned as some point?

Also, Mob Psycho, nice!

Edited by Ellimist

Mkilbride

Yeah, seems like LibVLC is an improvement since it can direct play SSA subtitles with styling. Wonder why Plex & Emby don't use it. Appears to play just about everything.

Edited by Mkilbride

Yeah, seems like LibVLC is an improvement since it can direct play SSA subtitles with styling. Wonder why Plex & Emby don't use it. Appears to play just about everything.

Our experience with it on the Android platform was "less than optimal" :).  Perhaps we will try again in the future.

FrostByte

VLC as an external player has always worked for me.  Just lose some functionality in the app right now.  VLC also supports WMV and WMA for those who have them

• 3 weeks later...
mackatini

I'm also experiencing this on my Android TV app. Exactly the same scenario.

PGS subs are corrupting or only showing outlines at times. Same content plays perfectly on Android App with no transcoding taking place. I can also confirm I have no such issues with Plex on the same Android TV device. Also no transcoding.

@Mkilbride, I haven't gone to the same extent as you testing all the other players out there, so good job on the research. That said, I'm looking for a one stop shop that the whole family can use easily without having to select a different player for certain titles because of the subtitles.

Come on Emby guru's, surely you guys can crack this one.

Mkilbride

I'm happy I'm not alone, but sucks for you too buddy.

I was JUST thinking of bumping this topic. It's super annoying that I'm dealing with this, I don't want to go back to Plex, but when I think of how it just...plays there...without having to transcode...

Deathsquirrel
17 hours ago, mackatini said:

I'm also experiencing this on my Android TV app. Exactly the same scenario.

PGS subs are corrupting or only showing outlines at times. Same content plays perfectly on Android App with no transcoding taking place. I can also confirm I have no such issues with Plex on the same Android TV device. Also no transcoding.

@Mkilbride, I haven't gone to the same extent as you testing all the other players out there, so good job on the research. That said, I'm looking for a one stop shop that the whole family can use easily without having to select a different player for certain titles because of the subtitles.

Come on Emby guru's, surely you guys can crack this one.

That's not corruption.  The player does not support dual-layer PGS subs.  Use an external player or listen to the dub track.  These are your options at this time.

• Like 1

mackatini
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Our Android TV app doesn't have to transcode pgs either.

Which makes it even more confusing that PGS subs work perefctly in Plex also using Exoplayer and without needing to transcode.

mackatini
12 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

That's not corruption.  The player does not support dual-layer PGS subs.  Use an external player or listen to the dub track.  These are your options at this time.

So how does Plex manage to do it without transcoding and using the Exoplayer?

FrostByte
35 minutes ago, mackatini said:

So how does Plex manage to do it without transcoding and using the Exoplayer?

Plex uses their own modified version of Exoplayer in which they've corrected some of these issues with Exoplayer

• 9 months later...
DarkAngel1l

Apologies if this has been asked before or brought up recently or if this is the wrong spot (first time posting).  But the last time I found mention of this issue I'm running into, here on the forums, was mid 2020 and there was no real fix, unfortunately.  So I wanted to bring it back up!   

I've found on occasion when watching anime, there can be instances where there are multiple subtitles that show on screen (sourced from the original PGS file which is now inside a MKV container).  When this occurs, the first one that appears on screen stays on screen, but the follow up subtitles essentially flash and then immediately disappear.  

It was mentioned at the time that this was believed to be an issue with ExoPlayer specifically and that Google has been sitting on this issue for a long time now when it comes to fixing it.  Due to that, it was also mentioned in that same forum post that there were plans in the works for the Emby team to expand this capability themselves.  I was curious if there has been any progress made here or if there is any news that could be shared! 

Below are two screenshots hopefully showing what I'm trying to convey.  Both files are being Direct Played (no transcoding).  

Example from Nvidia Shield (should be multiple subtitles here):

Also not sure how to take a screenshot on a Shield...so apologies for the cell phone camera quality <.<

image.thumb.png.0c51ffa8e0aa5e9dd1f9e39561c9d632.png

Example from Emby Theater (Displayed Correctly):

image.thumb.png.406626b03bc9720e137569d61b1f9885.png

Thank you! 

Edited by DarkAngel1l