4K playback quality - Media bitrate exceeds limit

RokuGuys

RokuGuys

One of my files in 4K, HEVC is transcoded to H264 during playback and the reason being "Media bitrate exceeds limit".

Source Video bitrate - 115Mb/s

Max Bitrate : Auto  - 110Mb/s

So I guess my lan server is not fast enough to stream 115Mb/s. Am I right?

So, in that case, how can I increase the max 110Mb/s value? Is it detected by Emby based on my connection? I am streaming through my Roku Ultra which is wired to my lan network. Or is it my  router that has the limitation? How do I find out where the bottleneck is? Also I have couple switches on the path that supports only 10/100 Mbps.

Edited by viveksvas

Hi.  We chose 110 as the max because it is ridiculously high - especially for HEVC :).  What is the source of this video?  The Roku device is only rated for 35Mb/s.

Happy2Play

Really you need to determine why it is transcoding.

But all h265 is converted to h264 when transcodes, and the h265 bitrate is doubled to try and maintain quality when converted to h264.  But I would say still subjective at that high of bitrate.

Edited by Happy2Play

RokuGuys

It's Lion King 4K movie trailer. :D

I have few other 4K HEVC full movies which plays just fine at around 15Mbps. I wonder why they chose to make trailer that high quality. lol

Edited by viveksvas

RokuGuys

Really you need to determine why it is transcoding.

But all h265 is converted to h264 when transcodes, and the h265 bitrate is doubled to try and maintain quality when converted to h264.  But I would say still subjective at that high of bitrate.

I thought my lan is severely slow and might need an upgrade or something. :o

pwhodges

How do I find out where the bottleneck is? Also I have couple switches on the path that supports only 10/100 Mbps.

Are you surprised that a path including a switch that only supports 100Mbps doesn't support more?  There's surely no point in looking elsewhere when you have an identified bottleneck.  Sort that and then look again if necessary.

Paul

cptlores

Hi.  We chose 110 as the max because it is ridiculously high - especially for HEVC :).  What is the source of this video?  The Roku device is only rated for 35Mb/s.

I am sorry, but it is not. The standard rates (not necessarily used, but what is defined in the specifications) for a Ultra HD Blu-ray disc is 72, 92, 123 and 144Mbit/sec. And yes, I know this rate is for both video and sound combined, but you get my point. 4K video has 4 times more pixels then 1080p and also often contains HDR (10/12bit colorspace), so ~100mbit is no longer as high as it sounds.

Edited by cptlores
  • Like 1

I am sorry, but it is not. The standard rates (not necessarily used, but what is defined in the specifications) for a Ultra HD Blu-ray disc is 72, 92, 123 and 144Mbit/sec. And yes, I know this rate is for both video and sound combined, but you get my point. 4K video has 4 times more pixels then 1080p and also often contains HDR (10/12bit colorspace), so ~100mbit is no longer as high as it sounds.

Yes, but none of the streaming type devices support bitrates that high so allowing you to set them higher is just asking for playback problems :).

• 3 months later...

@ebr does the shield not support >100?
I’m running into this issue with 4K single layer Dolby vision files.  Plex doesn’t have an issue with them.  But Emby auto mode will transcode. 4K remux down to 1080p 22mb.  Set max to 100mb and it plays the same file fine at 75mb...  auto seem very wonky.

dolby vison 100mb. Says unsupported container. Plex plays it.  If I toggle direct play of ts files everything direct plays but not in dolby vison and there is no audio

Happy2Play

With a statement of higher then xx bitrate setting will not be troubleshot as it exceed documented bitrate limits (assume client specific). 😁  Just because it can be done will never mean it is supported.  And network/storage location will be a factor also.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

@ebr does the shield not support >100?
I’m running into this issue with 4K single layer Dolby vision files.  Plex doesn’t have an issue with them.  But Emby auto mode will transcode. 4K remux down to 1080p 22mb.  Set max to 100mb and it plays the same file fine at 75mb...  auto seem very wonky.

dolby vison 100mb. Says unsupported container. Plex plays it.  If I toggle direct play of ts files everything direct plays but not in dolby vison and there is no audio

@bakes82 can you please try this and let me know how it compares?

Thanks.

sooty234
35 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

With a statement of higher then xx bitrate setting will not be troubleshot as it exceed documented bitrate limits (assume client specific). 😁  Just because it can be done will never mean it is supported.  And network/storage location will be a factor also.

Hehe... Yes, I know that some hardware is limited. I'm not saying remove or replace what is already implemented, just add an unlimited option, and let the device handle it. I actually think it would be a good troubleshooting option. It will allow overriding emby's safeguards (I wish I could override them all. I detest safeguards). Let's pop the cork and run amok! :)

• Like 1

Well the new version is a 120mb 4k option.  Single Layer Dolby Vision still doesn't work like in Plex.   (How is the auto value calculated?  Like why isn't there an option to say I want 4k since my tv is capable of it and server can handle it)

image.png.0fb5f7a7abf85823995791401b059b44.png

image.thumb.png.30d5f5b6f9747cc6a1f849fb50133db5.png

Also that version isnt designed for shield.

The UI is different, its setup for a mobile format, where shield is not considered a mobile device.  Every thing is just way bigger looks weird and Ive only been testing it for like 2hr so I noticed a diff right away.

Here logs, Im not admin of this server, just testing emby out if you need server logs will be a day until mine gets spun up.

old ui

image.thumb.png.fd8d48fa97d684e569717c763ef5c097.pngimage.png.211489ceef5e74a78990a07a82b71a26.png

new ui

image.thumb.png.1b55b0365ca9d896e7a23a7d040430c3.png

image.thumb.png.a95b684b17d3556f76035b9b4403d320.png

741ac94c-c550-4e77-9af0-5094dda5135a.log 1de0135b-226a-4590-9fd4-1796541bbc57.log

Edited by bakes82

@bakes82 There are different display layout modes this new app can use.  Try clicking on the person icon top right then selecting the first option Display.
About the 3rd option down is the Display mode which can be: Auto, Desktop, Movile/Tablet, or TV

Try changing it to the TV display and see if you prefer this better.

This is a New Android app that can run on many different platforms and features the newest player technology so it's quite useful especially for testing purposes and is designed to run on the Shield TV and other ATV apps.

It has a TV mode you can change as explained earlier that makes it look a lot more like the normal ATV app vs a mobile layout.

Like I said when it hits the store it will install automatically :P otherwise Ill wait, I tired it and it didnt fix playing single layer dolby vision.

It's a different player with new features.  Likely any format/media changes will get fixed in it first right since the intention is to use this player with custom changes to make it better in the ATV app when ready.

So if it doesn't work in this app and no one is testing and reporting issues or submitting logs to the devs it may not get fixed.  That's why this is available for testing to help us.  Both the ATV and new Android app can both be installed on the Shield TV and co-exist just fine.

So one can be your main app used daily, while the other for testing features (or daily use).

I did post logs above. I use plex personally. And thats my daily driver.  And according to the post it will be on the play store soon. But the shield only shows androidTV compatible versions. So like I said I’m not here to do beta testing your apps. There are other products that do what I want.  I was just reviewing Emby to see where things are at. Currently not at the same level as plex with dv support. But it does seem like streams start a little faster with Emby so there are some positives.

also when you look at the new non AndroidTV app the icon is wont it just doesn’t look right for the androidTV ecosystem look for yourself. There is no text just an icon about half the size of the supported version.  Not sure why there is a debate lol there is a specific api/sdk for androidTV last I knew.

No problem. Unlike the other company we are very active in the forums and communicate/work with customers to find solutions and fix them.

But we certainly understand your position and that you for pointing this out to us.