AAC 5.1 tarnscoded to AC3 5.1 - Roku Ultra

RokuGuys
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

RokuGuys

I am having trouble playing files encoded using AAC5.1 in Roku.  Roku ultra simply down mix it to stereo and hence the surround sound is lost.

I read some prior articles discussing about an option to transcode AAC to AC3 if 5.1 channel is present. Is that feature supported? I am using Emby for little over a year and always had this issue with no solution. (Roku Ultra #4660)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54801-roku-premier-and-aac-51/

I recently installed Plex and it  does the transcoding automatically for AAC5.1 audio for Roku Ultra. Just wanted to know if I am missing out some config settings that prevents me from doing the same through Emby.

Thanks in advance.

• Solution

Go to the Settings menu (press the * button or navigate to the overhang cog) and choose "Settings". Then choose "Playback" to get the playback settings. On the Playback settings screen find "Convert Multi-Channel AAC" and change this to YES.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

RokuGuys

Go to the Settings menu (press the * button or navigate to the overhang cog) and choose "Settings". Then choose "Playback" to get the playback settings. On the Playback settings screen find "Convert Multi-Channel AAC" and change this to YES.

Awesome. That fixed it. I can't believe I missed that setting. I have been playing around with the audio settings to no avail so far. Never knew there were more options to scroll down. :)

I even wrote a custom Java app to do the conversion manually using FFMPEG. Good news is that does the trick though it was totally unnecessary. -_-