[Bug] Episode Sorting

Vidman

Vidman

I have noticed that specials are always listed first in the TV shows season listing instead of the correct position stated in the episodes metadata..eg the office and extras Xmas specials should be at the end of season two

xnappo

I have noticed that specials are always listed first in the TV shows season listing instead of the correct position stated in the episodes metadata..eg the office and extras Xmas specials should be at the end of season two

Is what you are seeing different than what is in the web interface?  I don't think we have any control over this - may be a Server feature request.

xnappo

im85288

I think there is something in the server config where you can set specials to be not treated as "Season 0" however I have no idea what effect that change might have.

Vidman

Yes in the web client and android app specials are shown in the correct place within the season... There was a setting somewhere to show specials within the season they aired in but I can't find it now

Edited by Vidman

Vidman

Just to clarify.... The specials are correctly shown in the correct season but always at the start of that season rather than where specified in the metadata

So in the case of the office and extras the Xmas specials are shown as part of season two., but they show up first in the list rather than at the end

Edited by Vidman

xnappo

Just to clarify.... The specials are correctly shown in the correct season but always at the start of that season rather than where specified in the metadata

So in the case of the office and extras the Xmas specials are shown as part of season two., but they show up first in the list rather than at the end

We do not do any sorting - we use the sort order given to us by the server.

xnappo

[EDIT] That said - if you WANT to change the sort order to be by premiere date, you can do that in the context menu.

Edited by xnappo

Vidman

OK cheers... It just seems strange then that this plugin shows the order differently than the android app web client and MBT(I haven't checked the windows 8 app yet)

xnappo

Well - they may be sorting by premiere date on episode views.  We could do that too - but in general we have been leaving the sorting to the server.  I think it is best to ask for the server to provide a good default sort order rather than trying to have all the clients choose a sort order.

xnappo

Vidman

I don't think this is the case... In the web client metadata editor Items classed as season 0 or specials allow you to choose where it appears in a season and before/after a particular episode . perhaps Luke could clarify?

Vidman

just to prove the point i used the web client to change only the 'Special episode info' for one of "the office (uk)" xmas special episodes to season 01 and before episode 4 and the android app,MBT and the web client all displayed the episode in season 01 between episodes 3 and 4...but xbmb3c displayed the episode at the start of season one

i have screenshots from the web metadata editor and MBT but I dont seem to be allowed to post attachments

xnappo

Does it present in the order you want if you sort by premiere date?  I can make that the default for seasons fairly easily if so.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

elcabong

premiere date is a good option i didnt think of. 

i know xbmc uses the "displayseason" and "displayepisode" fields over the "title" or "origionaltitle" field for sorting.  for instance, a special episode could be "Show 00x03" or something.  if it appears in season 2 after "Show 02x10" and the sort order is by title, the special episode will show up first every time.

there may be an existing call to get the desired sorted list.  maybe @@Luke can help

Vidman

I tried changing the sort to premiere date for season two of the office UK and it showed the correct order in that instance (I don't know if that kluge will work in all cases tho) but then when I tried to go back to the seasons list I am kicked back to the root list of the plugin

xnappo

I don't think your 'back' issue is related to this.

These are the available sort orders:

Album, AlbumArtist, Artist, Budget, CommunityRating, CriticRating, DateCreated, DatePlayed, PlayCount, PremiereDate, ProductionYear, SortName, Random, Revenue, Runtime

'SortName' is the default - the server is usually good about making this appropriate for the type of folder you are viewing - we typically do not override it in the client - but I can if everyone agrees PremiereDate is better for Seasons.

@@Luke - comments?

xnappo

xnappo

Thanks Luke - easy enough to change now that I know :)  A sort order of 'default' or 'server_specified' would be nicer of course.

@@Vidman - will take a look at this tonight or tomorrow morning.

xnappo

• Like 2

actually this is something i need to clean up but there are  few tyes where you should omit sort order - when pulling down collection (boxset) titles, seasons of a series and episodes of a season.

the editing interface allows users to pick the sort order they want for those titles and if you specify something specific you'll be overriding that.

Again - I know that's not intuitive because it's hard for you to know that, but it's on my review list.

xnappo

Thanks Luke - easy enough to change now that I know :)  A sort order of 'default' or 'server_specified' would be nicer of course.

@@Vidman - will take a look at this tonight or tomorrow morning.

xnappo

I made some changes here - I tested with BoxSets and it seemed better - please try.

xnappo

• Like 2

tube82

I just noticed random episode orders in seasons of TV shows.

It appears to only be a problem in shows with only one season and with 'Auto enter single folder items' enabled.

Edited by tube82

xnappo

Okay - so need some help on a decision here.

The 'auto enter single item' function currently works by recognizing there is only one season, and then creating a link with a recursive list of all episodes.  This effectively looks like we got the Id of the season, when really we did not look it up.  With this type of call the server does not provide correct episode ordering.

There are two choices.

1. I coded up a solution where instead of doing a recursive call, when only one season is present I go and hit the server for the season id.  Problem here is that we have to pull a small amount of data from the server for every TV show with only one season.

2. I add 'SortBy=PremiereDate' to the recursive call I mentioned before.  I am just not 100% sure this results in the same thing and the server non-recursive call.

@@Luke - any other options?

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

right now it is best to pull down the episodes one season at a time, or you're going to lose all of the server side options, like placing specials in seasons, sort orders, etc

xnappo

Okay - I checked in this change.  Please test if the speed difference is noticeable.  Doesn't seem too bad to me.

xnappo

• Like 1

xnappo

also, is there any reason for the

for season in seasons:

this will just use the last one but there should be only one correct?

Yes - there will be only one.  Better syntax for that?

xnappo

xnappo

Okay - removed.  I didn't double check since I already check there is only one item.

xnappo