Heavy artifacting

phreid

phreid

I'm getting heavy artifacting in a certain file during scenes with flashing or quick motion in both the LG webOS and desktop browser apps. The file does not have any artifacts playing natively on my computer or in the Plex webOS app. 

The artifacts appear with hardware acceleration on and off (not that this should matter since I don't have a premium account.)

I've attached everything, thanks. 

post-659682-0-23565800-1590562813_thumb.png

post-659682-0-04152400-1590562819_thumb.png

log-server.txt

log-ffmpeg.txt

Edited by phreid

Deathsquirrel

Just to confirm, have you tried those videos in another player like VLC or MPC-HC?  When I've had that in the past, the videos were corrupt and needed to be re-ripped.

phreid

Just to confirm, have you tried those videos in another player like VLC or MPC-HC?  When I've had that in the past, the videos were corrupt and needed to be re-ripped.

The video plays without any errors in VLC and Plex.

Happy2Play

There is no HWA as the video stream is copied, but does it play fine at a lower bitrate then 33Mbps in Chrome?

phreid

There is no HWA as the video stream is copied, but does it play fine at a lower bitrate then 33Mbps in Chrome?

It does actually, the artifacts go away when transcoding the video to a lower bitrate. Of course this isn't really an "acceptable" solution for lack of a better word since I want to avoid transcoding as much as possible. 

Happy2Play

So is it a issues in the Chrome browser player itself at high bitrates as the video stream is just being copied?

phreid

So is it a issues in the Chrome browser player itself at high bitrates as the video stream is just being copied?

I don't believe so since the video is also corrupted at high bitrates in the LG webOS app. I haven't had a chance to test transcoding the video in the webOS app yet. 

Happy2Play

I don't believe so since the video is also corrupted at high bitrates in the LG webOS app. I haven't had a chance to test transcoding the video in the webOS app yet. 

But a lot of player are not optimized for streaming high bitrates.  They are for a direct HDMI delivered media.  Just like a Roku has a suggested limit of 25Mbps.

Roku 4K devices support HEVC up to level 5.1 and bitrates up to 25Mbps

Every device will have limits, but we will try to push them beyond there technical capabilities.  Most TVs are the same.

So the real question would be, do you only see this artifacting with media above 25Mbps bitrates?

Gilgamesh_48

But a lot of player are not optimized for streaming high bitrates.  They are for a direct HDMI delivered media.  Just like a Roku has a suggested limit of 25Mbps.

Every device will have limits, but we will try to push them beyond there technical capabilities.  Most TVs are the same.

So the real question would be, do you only see this artifacting with media above 25Mbps bitrates?

I hope no one takes offense at this question but can anyone really see a difference between say a bitrate of 18-25Mbps and one of say 30 or more? I know there are people with much greater ability to see difference in 720p 1080p and 4K. I have tested that and my youngest granddaughter can see differences beyond what anyone else in my extended family can see but I do not have any videos above 20 or so Mbps so I cannot test for high bitrates. but she does not really notice a difference between 15 and 20Mbps, at least none that my informal testing can uncover.

I have seen studies that compare the various resolutions and mostly they say that 1080p is about the best most people can see improvement in.

I believe that the need for 4K and/or ultra high bitrates is more a desire to have the latest and greatest than it is a desire for the best picture we can see. I am open to changing my mind but it would take good evidence to change my mind.

• Like 1

phreid

So far I've only seen artifacting with this file, but I haven't tested very many. I did test some very high bitrate 4K remuxes and they played with no issues. 

Happy2Play

So far I've only seen artifacting with this file, but I haven't tested very many. I did test some very high bitrate 4K remuxes and they played with no issues. 

Can you post a ffmpeg log of one that plays for the devs to compare.

Don't think it will make a difference, but is there a reason you are still on 4.4.2.0?

The video plays without any errors in VLC and Plex.

Plex probably transcodes.

It does actually, the artifacts go away when transcoding the video to a lower bitrate. Of course this isn't really an "acceptable" solution for lack of a better word since I want to avoid transcoding as much as possible. 

When a video file is encoded in a way that it is violating the specification that it's indicating to conform to, you can't say that those players are doing wrong that are relying on the spec, just because there exist one or more other players that are more tolerant about spec violations.

So does VLC - people just don't realize it.

phreid

When a video file is encoded in a way that it is violating the specification that it's indicating to conform to, you can't say that those players are doing wrong that are relying on the spec, just because there exist one or more other players that are more tolerant about spec violations.

So you're saying the issue is with the file after all?

So you're saying the issue is with the file after all?

All indications so far are pointing clearly into that direction.

• 1 year later...
rickrian

Hello, i would like to continue this tread, cause i got same problems.

Watching some movies i see artifacts "during scenes with flashing or quick motion". In some cases switching to 25Mbps helps, but sometimes not. Anyway switching to 25Mbps is WA, i think we have to investigate and fix it.

Let me know which logs or info you need to get from my side.

Emby version: 4.6.7.0

I can see problems on any devices i use.

No artifacts if i watch these files via Media Player Classic or any other player, so it is definitely something weird on Emby side.

Bug.PNG

Info.PNG

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-9e1c397a-7ce2-41b5-9c50-d71e35f5ae2a_1.txt

Edited by rickrian
Added Logs

pwhodges
9 minutes ago, rickrian said:

Let me know which logs or info you need to get from my side.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 7:17 AM, rickrian said:

Thanks Paul, i added logs.

Are you playing from the server machine? Can you also try Chrome for comparison purposes? Thanks.

@rickrian could you please try the following:

• Install the "Diagnostics Plugin" from the plugin catalog
  • Restart the server
  • On the dashboard, go to "Diagnostic Options"
  • Some way below on the page you'll see two text boxes allowing to do a find/replace on ffmpeg commands
    Enter the following:
    • Find: -break_non_keyframes 1
    • Replace: -break_non_keyframes 0
  • Retry playback

(please note that this setting does not survive server restarts)