WD new Firmware

scb99

Not yet but I'm sure that will make package development easier. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...
scb99

@Luke It‘s in beta now. If you want to continue supporting WD you‘ll need to compile 2 packages for each model, one (as now) for the “old” firmware and one for the “new” firmware. Hoping you’ll be able to do this.

scb99
15 hours ago, kaledi said:

@scb99 Could you send a link for details on the new firmware please.  I can't seem to find it on the net?  thanks

It’s not publicly available yet.

if you’re a developer it might be worth contacting wd support to ask if they can help

kaledi

OK, thanks.  I have a couple of WD NAS and interested to know about the changes that are coming.  What is the expected benefit of moving to debian  based firmware?

tafelpoowt

@Luke some quick info: OS5 has a new kernel 4.14.22. Compilation based on Debian Buster toolchain, both for x64 and ARM based platforms.

New `mksapkg` tool now with SHA256 signatures and it's a x64 binary at last.

Documentation is also updated and a bit more clear now.

You may want to register your app at https://developer.westerndigital.com/develop/wd/submit-app-new-mcos3on.html and reach out to WD get some extra info.

• 1 month later...
scb99

Hi @Luke OS5 is now on public release and aiui OS3 will be retired in Q1 2021. Is an OS5 release for Emby on the horizon? Thanks

28 minutes ago, scb99 said:

Hi @Luke OS5 is now on public release and aiui OS3 will be retired in Q1 2021. Is an OS5 release for Emby on the horizon? Thanks

We'll need a little bit of time, but yes it's something we can look at.

scb99

Ok thanks. In fact, Emby has to either make an OS5 package or drop support for WD. Please let us know when you have a timescale for whatever you decide. Many thanks.

scb99

@kaledi it's already available and I think most of what you want to know is here

https://community.wd.com/c/OS5/252

They will start forcing it soon, it's already far behind the original schedule

I'm seriously thinking installing OS5 / Docker / Emby finding the time is for me not so easy, but this would have a lot going for it once done

Edited by scb99
correction

kaledi

thanks @scb99 very helpful information.

I assume we can turn off auto firmware update if required to prevent update to OS5?  I'll happilly wait until the good folks at EMBY port the server to the new firmware.  Otherwise I'll have to look at using my shield TV as the server in the interim.

Out of interest, how does Docker help here?

scb99

@kaledi Briefly this is very summary

With OS3 - Good, Plug and Play, Bad, everything else (especially if you're bothered about security which for Emby I'm not very much)

With OS5 - Good, Debian, But not any more Plug and Play especially with the new os5 mycloud.com portal which is so far a bit crap imo

With Docker, it will need a bit of work to set up, but then good (a) I understand it a lot better (b) I already have in Azure for my business

otoh I'm very very busy and also lazy so maybe if would be great if @LukeEmby just sorted an OS5 version asap.

On 09/10/2020 at 14:24, Luke said:

Yes we will be supporting it. Thanks.

@Luke Thanks a lot, I know I SHOULD move to Docker but this will really save me a lot of hassle short term at least. Really appreciate it.

Edited by scb99

In case anyone is looking at this thread and cares

apparently WD have not compiled the kernel for OS5 to include all prerequisites for Docker

there‘s a guy on the wd newsgroups who maintains docker on wd and he says he has to wait for wd to release os5 officially before he can get further, because at the moment they arent releasing the info

so at the moment thats quite bad news really

Edited by scb99
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, tafelpoowt said:

@Luke the build process is completely the same. It just a slightly updated tool, which no longer requires Ubuntu 16.

Any recent Debian with openssl and libxml2 should be fine.

You'll find the builder binary at the root of my OS5 branch on https://github.com/WDCommunity/wdpksrc/tree/OS5

Great, thanks for the info. We're hoping to get to it soon.

OS5 builds ready for testing. I haven't had a chance to update the website yet, so just find the .bin file for your model here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.6.0.5

Note: If you come to this later and this link is dead, then just follow the instructions on the website: https://emby.media/download

• Like 1