Problem with connecting from Roku to Shield after exit.

Gilgamesh_48
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Gilgamesh_48

Server ver. 4.4.2.0

I had to do a full factory reset on my Shield. That was due to me using the Shield for experimentation and not related to Emby.

The reset finished fine and I installed just Emby server and client and a file browser. (FX for what it is worth) I really have almost nothing else installed.

I can access the Shield's server fine from the shield itself and from a web browser. The server is fully set up and running fine and I "can" access it for all my clients BUT there is a strange problem when I access it from my Rokus or any Fire device. I will use The Roku Ultra as my example because it is the client I use the most.

I have two other servers both running the Beta software and both of those have no problems.

My Roku is running Emby Beta ver 4.0.3. But the release app,  which is also on my Roku, behaves the same way.

I will describe this as if I have never connected to the Shield before:

I access Emby on my Roku and then press "back" to go to the server select screen.

I then press back and then left arrow to get to the "Select Server" screen.

My two beta servers are shown on that screen and I can select and use them if I choose.

The Shield's server does not show at this point.

I choose "Add server" and go to  input "host" and I type the host's address ie 192.168.xx.yyy and scroll to KO and press OK.

I leave the port at the default as I do not need to change it.

I then choose "Connect to server" and press OK.

The Shield's user choice menu appears and I choose my user and log onto the Shield.

I do things or don't do things on the Shield ant then I press "back" and press the keys required to return to the Select Server menu and I now have three servers. One is a kind of purple icon and another is blue and the Shield is orange.

I select one of the other servers and get onto it and everything is fine there as well.

I the back out to the select server screen again and all three are there and the same colors as before

I can choose the Shield and I can get onto it just fine.

Now for the weird part:

I exit Emby and reenter The select server screen appears but the Shield's icon is now blue and when I choose it I get a message box saying "There was an error processing the request. Please try again later. Timeout waiting for a response from the server,

I choose OK and I am presented with a screen saying only "Wake Server"  or "remove server"

If I try "Wake server " it fails after a short time and the scree returns to what it was.

If I press the back key I can log onto either of my other two servers and they work fine.

I can also choose "Add server"" and add the Shield again and then it works fine until I exit Emby and the upon reentry I can no longer access the Shield until I add it as new server again.

I can remove the non-functioning Shield servers without any problem.

I know there is, probably, some simple fix to this but I have been unable to find it.

The same thing happens from all three of my Rokus and all my Fire devices but my shield can use all three of my servers without problem as can my web browsers from three different computers.

All my devices, except my Fire stick, are connected wired and everything is local.

Thanks for any and all help and I would be happy to provide logs form my Shield if needed.

Is the dashboard on your Shield server showing the proper IP address for it?

Gilgamesh_48

Is the dashboard on your Shield server showing the proper IP address for it?

No! Good call. Now what can I do to fix it?

The IP address it shows does not work at all but the actual address of the Shield does.

• Solution

Fill in the proper address in the hosting settings on the server.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

Thanks!! That fixed it. The address that was being presented to the local network was not even one that is allowed by my Router. All addresses on my network are set to be 192.168.21.xxx and what was shown was 192.168.49.22. Since I use reserved IP address for all my devices the manual override should stick through any combination of reboots as I am simply overriding the incorrect address with the one that is reserved for my Shield.

Once again, Thank you!! :D