App appears to be using PC levels

crusher11

crusher11

The blacks on this clip are a really milky grey color, not the black that they should be. I have an OLED, I know what black looks like.

I've noticed similar with other clips. Not sure if it's limited to SD content or not.

The only thing I can think of is it's using PC levels instead of TV levels, and because they're above 0 they're grey, even though they're well below 16. My TV is properly calibrated. It's not really feasible to calibrate the app input or whatever LG uses for that, but I've calibrated my Blu-ray input with the Spears & Munsil disc and a colorimeter, and copied those settings across to all inputs. The black level setting is greyed out while using the app, and is set to "auto", so it seems the app is picking the wrong one.

(As an aside, why can I not upload m2v files? I had to rename this to get it through.)

blacklevels.mpg

Adding @@SamES to research this but I'm pretty sure this is something we have no control over at the LG app level. It is something set in the TV settings.

crusher11

Except as I said, that setting is greyed out and stuck on "auto" when using apps, so it's up to the app to feed the TV the correct information I would presume.

rbjtech

Copy the file to a USB drive and play it via the built-in LG media player - if you get the same Black level as emby (which I expect) then this is not something which emby has control over.  

I know Black levels are absolutely fine via emby/LG player - as during some scenes, the TV image for me (in a dark room) is literally 'off' - I cannot see where the TV/Picture/Edge is, so I agree with you that this is not a general issue. 

In summary, I think it may be the media in combination with the TV 'intelligence' that has the issue - perhaps the TV it's trying to use 'Dynamic Contrast' for example to change colour levels.