Cloud Sync - How to Get Started?

JulesC

JulesC

Thanks to @@cayars and @@ebr, I've successfully installed and configured the Google Drive Plug-in. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get started with Cloud Sync.

Under my "Movie Library", I have a Folder: "Family Share" where I've placed movies that I want synced to Google Drive so I can share it with my remote family members. How do I go about syncing the movies in this folder to Google Drive?

I've scanned the various documentation for Sync - https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001161893-sync-introduction. It felt like the documentations communicated WHAT was possible, but not very clear on the HOW to do it. Here is an excerpt from the "Sync Introduction" documentation:

"As an example, an administrator can setup Dropbox or Google Drive as a sync destination, then setup specific media to be synced to the "cloud". "

As the Administrator, I've looked through the Dashboard, Server Settings, Library, etc., but I could not find where the Sync option is located

Please know that I'm new to this and maybe just not grasping "the how", but it wasn't clear to me.

This is my last step for providing my remote family with secure access to my movies in the cloud (i.e. Google Drive).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by JulesC
  • Like 1

Verbage has changed and I need to update a couple of articles.  Highlight a movie as the admin and click the 3 button menu.  Select the download option and have a look at that.  That will get you started with single movies.  You can select multiple movies and apply the download to multiple at the same time.

With TV Shows you can "download" single episodes, seasons or shows.

You can also do the same for libraries themselves with options such as last X mount of shows.

JulesC

Verbage has changed and I need to update a couple of articles.  Highlight a movie as the admin and click the 3 button menu.  Select the download option and have a look at that.  That will get you started with single movies.  You can select multiple movies and apply the download to multiple at the same time.

You can also do the same for libraries themselves with options such as last X mount of shows.

@@cayars thank you for your continued support! When I select a movie, click on the 3 dots (...) and select “Download” all that happens is the selected movie is downloaded to the Download folder. Am I doing something wrong? Please see the attached screenshot.

Is it possible for me to Sync the “Family Share” folder to Google Drive?

Thanks

post-181856-0-04386600-1590438475_thumb.jpeg

Sorry should be another option similar to "download to...".

I'm personally not a fan of changing sync to download to... but hey, I got no say on it.  LOL  To me a download is when you make a copy that no longer depends on the original version while a sync is a copy that does rely on the original as it's source or control.

Anyway try the "download to..." option.

JulesC

@@cayars No worries at all. I agree with you. The "Download to..." is not a very intuitive name when you're looking for Sync options.

When I click "Download to..." for a given movie attached screenshot is the screen that I see.

I'm assuming I should "Download to:" Emby - Right? Not exactly sure what options I should select for "Profile:" and "Quality:" Any guidance would be appreciated.

After selecting the options and I click on "Download", is this when the movie is Synced to my Google Drive for Emby?

Thank you

Edited by JulesC

No screenshot.  But the google drive you previously setup should be visible and one of the options.

JulesC

No screenshot. But the google drive you previously setup should be visible and one of the options.

@@cayars attached is the screenshot (sorry about that)

When I click "Download to..." for a given movie attached screenshot is the screen that I see.

I'm assuming I should "Download to:" Emby - Right? There is no option for Google Drive. I’m assuming that since I named the Google Drive app = Emby, this should be the one. Not exactly sure what options I should select for "Profile:" and "Quality:" Any guidance would be appreciated.

After selecting the options and I click on "Download", is this when the movie is Synced to my Google Drive for Emby?

post-181856-0-23657200-1590443414_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Yea, if you named the Google Drive Emby (confusing) then that would make sense.  When I used this I named mine "GoogleDrive" or similar.  Since I had a couple drives in use I did "CayarsGoogleDrive" and "EdGoogleDrive" etc.

So what will happen is that Emby Server will look at the format of the movie itself and convert it FIRST (if needed) to the mobile profile since that is what you selected and then it will upload it to the cloud drive.  From that point on when you play the file locally you should get the local version, but if playing from an Internet client the cloud drive version will get used.

JulesC

Yea, if you named the Google Drive Emby (confusing) then that would make sense.  When I used this I named mine "GoogleDrive" or similar.  Since I had a couple drives in use I did "CayarsGoogleDrive" and "EdGoogleDrive" etc.

So what will happen is that Emby Server will look at the format of the movie itself and convert it FIRST (if needed) to the mobile profile since that is what you selected and then it will upload it to the cloud drive.  From that point on when you play the file locally you should get the local version, but if playing from an Internet client the cloud drive version will get used.

@@cayars THANK YOU AGAIN for ALL YOUR HELP!!! I tested the Sync (Download ...) to Google Drive function with 3 movies and it appears to be working. I have one of my son's testing it.

Two questions:

1. How can I select multiple movies so I can apply the download to multiple at the same time vs. one at a time?  Might be good to include this in your updated documentation.

2. Under my "Movie Library", I have a Folder named: "Family Share" where I've placed movies that I want synced to Google Drive. How do I go about syncing this folder and the movies within this folder to Google Drive?

Thanks again for everything!!!

To select multiple movies hover you mouse over an box cover and you'll see a circle top left.  Select it.  Now you can select other movies to add to what you selected.  Then use the 3 dot menu top right to "Download to...".

You can also use the filter function with tags or other things to find/mark and "Download to...".

You can also from the main view hover over your Movie library and "Download to..." for the whole library.  BUT then you can set a limit of say 25 movies and also set it to add new movies automatically.  So basically that would always keep the 25 most recent movies synced without you doing any work.  You could of course also hand select movies that will always be popular since they were blockbusters.

You can work the cloud sync a bit like this to make it fit your needs.

JulesC

To select multiple movies hover you mouse over an box cover and you'll see a circle top left.  Select it.  Now you can select other movies to add to what you selected.  Then use the 3 dot menu top right to "Download to...".

You can also use the filter function with tags or other things to find/mark and "Download to...".

You can also from the main view hover over your Movie library and "Download to..." for the whole library.  BUT then you can set a limit of say 25 movies and also set it to add new movies automatically.  So basically that would always keep the 25 most recent movies synced without you doing any work.  You could of course also hand select movies that will always be popular since they were blockbusters.

You can work the cloud sync a bit like this to make it fit your needs.

@@cayars I'm running Emby Theater for Windows 3.0.11.  When I hover the mouse over a box cover I don't see a circle in the top left of any other corner.  Does this feature not work in ETfW?

I am able to right-click on the Movie library and "Download to..."

Thank you

Sorry, use the web interface for managing your libraries or doing things like this.  

Generally speaking unless otherwise specified any instructions/comments/advice I give is always using the web interface which everyone has.

pwhodges

@@cayars I'm running Emby Theater for Windows 3.0.11.  When I hover the mouse over a box cover I don't see a circle in the top left of any other corner.  Does this feature not work in ETfW?

Works for me in that version, and as you specified "box cover" I checked that collections were also selectable this way:

5eccd4594751a_multiselect.jpg

What is your machine?  Might Emby think it has a touchscreen?

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

JulesC

@@pwhodges and @@cayars sorry for the delayed response. As luck would have it, my Windows Home Server finally died and I've been building a new server with all the configs you and others have shared with me to get back to where I left off...phew...finally back online.

From my Surface Book 2 and no matter if I mouse over the top left of a Box Cover or touch the screen, I still don't see the option for multi-selecting. Am I on the wrong screen, doing something wrong?

@@cayars you suggested using the Emby Web App to do the multi-select and it didn't work there either.  Hmmm...

Could this be a setting on the Emby Server that I'm missing?

Thank you

5ed182627d51b_Capture.png

Edited by JulesC

JulesC

Are you in computer or tablet mode?

Computer mode. Even when I go to my desktop I have the same experience. Let me know if there’s anything I can test on my end.

Thank you

Edited by JulesC

JulesC

And you are doing this in the web app/browser?

I’ve tried this from the Emby Web App and the Emby Theatre Client for Windows and have been unsuccessful with both

Can you hover over a movie in the web app and do a screen grab?

BTW, you ARE doing this as an admin user correct?

JulesC

Can you hover over a movie in the web app and do a screen grab?

BTW, you ARE doing this as an admin user correct?

@@cayars I'm embarrassed to say, that I just logged into the Emby Web App as Administrator and it worked as expected. So sorry about the confusion on my end. 

Thank you for ALL your help...it's greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

No problem.  It was just a matter of figuring out your "missing ingredient" to get things working for you.

• Like 1

JulesC

Works for me in that version, and as you specified "box cover" I checked that collections were also selectable this way:

5eccd4594751a_multiselect.jpg

What is your machine?  Might Emby think it has a touchscreen?

Paul

@@pwhodges am I understanding this correctly, you got this feature to work using Emby Theater for Windows 3.0.11? 

I've tried from my Windows 10 desktop and surface (I tried touchscreen and mouse-over) in laptop mode again this morning and I'm signed in with my Admin account, but still not working via ETfW.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?  I never go into the Emby Web App, so if possible, I would love to get this multi-select Sync feature to work from ETfW.

Thank you for ALL the help you've provided me...I truly appreciate it.

pwhodges

The screenshot is of Theatre v3.0.11, yes.  But I get the same when logged in as a non-admin user.  I can't right off think of any way to prevent this working!  When hovering, do you even get the play button in the middle of the poster, the three icons at the bottom, and the dimming of the poster image?

5ed28f6c89ca5_hoverplay.jpg

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

JulesC

@@pwhodges attached is my screenshot of Theatre v3.0.11. As you can see, when I mouse-over I don't see what you're seeing. Could this be a client or server setting that I'm unaware of?  It's strange that we're using the same client, running on Windows 10, but have two very different experiences with the client.

However, as I mentioned in my last post, when I run the Emby Web Client  - http://app.emby.media/ I have the same experience that you're showing in your  screenshot is of Theatre v3.0.11  

But, if I run https://tv.emby.media/ I get the same experience as my screenshot of Theatre v3.0.11 - see below

@@Luke or @@cayars any thoughts on why this is happening?  Thank you

post-181856-0-03439200-1590862762_thumb.png

Edited by JulesC

I don't see a mouse pointer on that video.  Are you logged in as an admin on each platform.  Confirm you login user.

Use the web admin, not a client for this type of "admin" functionality.

Edited by cayars