SSA Subtitles lengthy burn-in compared to Plex, or not playing at all.

Mkilbride

Sadly I tried like 3 different series and got 0 hits. So it's probably a no go.  I can deal with it for now, as long as I know it's going to get fixed, with TrueHD now being fixed by NVIDIA, My Premiere purchase isn't frustrating me anymore.

You'll need to configure open subtitles credentials in order for this to work. have you done that in open subtitles settings in emby server?

Mkilbride

Yeah I made an open Subtitles account. It's not a big deal. I even tried searching Open Subtitles manually.

Also; is there any way I can burn PGS subs in or something...? Because dual layer PGS subtitles have text disappearing constantly. Plays fine in browser. But that's local so yeah.

Basically, just like with ASS / SSA, if Karoke happens or more than one character speaks (So subtitles appearing at two different locations), the text just disappears.

Edited by Mkilbride

Using the "Playback Correction..." menu option during playback would probably cause a burn in of your PGS subs.

Basically, just like with ASS / SSA, if Karoke happens or more than one character speaks (So subtitles appearing at two different locations), the text just disappears.

SSA should be working properly now as far as multiples at the same time/position..

5ecfbfb67ee96_ssasubpos.png

Mkilbride

Was that a recent fix or something? Because I tried two different SSA series without burning them in and I got text overlapping or disappearing, just like the PGS are doing. Burning them in fixed it. Related, perhaps? It'd be nice if so and they could be fixed the same way. I can't think what else I can do...formatted Shield, on the beta...

I didn't want to have to do more videos, I can't right now, maybe tomorrow, I'll try showing you what I mean if I don't burn them in. Text gets funky, with like objects with subtitles on them appearing at the same position as text subtitles.

Edited by Mkilbride

This support has been in Exo for a few months.  It may depend on the data in the subs being exactly correct though.

• 2 months later...
mamedc34

Hello

I am on a firestick 4K and was wondering if there was any update on this because I am still having very similar issues mentioned in this thread.  

If I don’t burn in ASS / SSA subtitles, the subtitles disappear when two or more subtitle locations are supposed to show simultaneously.  This happens with all of my anime shows with ASS subtitles.

The other problem also still persists where if I do burn these subtitles, the load time on my firestick is always around 60 seconds.  I get this behavior where it briefly plays for a spilt second at around 30 seconds and then starts playing without any issue ~30 seconds later.

Seems like it is specific for my firestick since it does this every time and also I’ve tried transcoding the same / different files with ASS subtitles on the web player as well as with Plex and it plays them within 5-10 seconds.  

edit:  Also PGS subtitle transcoding on movies seems to load fine for me so it appears to be specific with ASS subtitles on the firestick 4K

Edited by mamedc34

It may be that the Amazon port of Exoplayer does not have this update yet.  We will have to check.

Mkilbride

I mean, I still have this issue on the NVIDIA Shield Pro. Nothing has changed. PGS subtitles still need to be burned in to display correctly.

mamedc34
On 7/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, ebr said:

It may be that the Amazon port of Exoplayer does not have this update yet.  We will have to check.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:34 PM, Luke said:

This will all be much improved in the near future.

I updated my firestick to the latest version and looks like the ExoPlayer updated b/c multiple subtitles now appear simultaneously on the screen for SSA subtitles.  I do get some weird large binary codes occasionally in some anime episodes however.

Burn-in SSA sub transcoding still takes a while to load as mentioned previously compared to PGS sub transcodes and other devices.

Thankfully subtitles disappearing have been resolved for me so I can finally watch without waiting for the files to load.

Please keep us updated if the loading times for the SSA sub transcoding gets fixed.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, mamedc34 said:

I updated my firestick to the latest version

So you were not on the latest version of the Fire app before?

mamedc34
1 hour ago, ebr said:

So you were not on the latest version of the Fire app before?

Yea I didn’t notice this since usually the firestick auto-updates to the current version.

I manually checked for update just to make sure and for some reason it suddenly began to download / update to version 6.2.7.1 

mamedc34

Sorry to keep posting but it seems like the non burn-in subtitles disappearing might actually be dependent on the source file.  

Binged watched an anime series today and noticed that most episodes were fine but a few still had problems with the disappearing.

I grabbed a different source for the ones with problems and they work fine.

If you test that one on something with a Chrome browser, without the subtitle burn-in, how does that compare?

mamedc34
44 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you test that one on something with a Chrome browser, without the subtitle burn-in, how does that compare?

It works fine on Chrome and also the emby app on my iPhone without burn-in.  It  just takes like a few seconds before the subtitles start appearing.

FYI, I haven't had any issues with any of the files I've tested so far with chrome player or on the iPhone. 

On 8/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, mamedc34 said:

I grabbed a different source for the ones with problems and they work fine

Okay, so I then think it probably comes down to this:

On 5/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, ebr said:

This support has been in Exo for a few months.  It may depend on the data in the subs being exactly correct though.