Transcoding in Hyper-v

denywinarto

denywinarto

Looks like i posted in wrong subforum, please delete the other one mod.

I'm working on a new server build with Xeon E2278G + X11SCA-F,

And i plan to use Server 2019 as the baremetal to host 3 hyper-v servers,

with one of them being emby server 2019, the other one is diskless server and Mikrotik server.

Now the thing is, emby server OS has to be Server 2019 cause i already wrote some apps to help me with movie updating.

So what is the current status of intel CPU transcoding under hyper-v ?

I read some threads saying it's not possible awhile ago.

Was going to use GPU but i'm out of PCIE x16 slots on my board (One for dual 10G, the other one for LSI raid card), leaving x4 slots but i think it's shared with U2 drive, and i'm using U2 drive for diskless server.

Edited by denywinarto

rbjtech

Intel CPU is fine on Hyper-V, I used that today, allocate as many CPU threads as you can.  But GPU passthrough is tricky on Hyper-V as you are probably aware.

denywinarto

So quicksync works without issue?

Thank goodness then, i probably mistook the cpu with gpu acceleration from a thread here

rbjtech

So quicksync works without issue?

Thank goodness then, i probably mistook the cpu with gpu acceleration from a thread here

Quicksync is GPU - and I don't think you can pass that through easily.  It's 'possible' as you are running Server 2019 (it's definitely not possible on Windows 10 Hyper-V role) - I believe you need to dedicate the hardware to a VM, you cannot share it's capabilities.  I looked into this a while back but was not using Server 2019, so I abandoned it as a lost cause.  Google is your friend and it will explain what's involved for the Server option ..  ;)  

Edited by rbjtech

denywinarto

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-quick-sync-and-hyper-v.1912054/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67542-36084-exception-on-codec-detection/&do=findComment&comment=673599

Quicksync is GPU - and I don't think you can pass that through easily.  It's 'possible' as you are running Server 2019 (it's definitely not possible on Windows 10 Hyper-V role) - I believe you need to dedicate the hardware to a VM, you cannot share it's capabilities.  I looked into this a while back but was not using Server 2019, so I abandoned it as a lost cause.  Google is your friend and it will explain what's involved for the Server option ..  ;)  

That is the thread that i was referring to.. So it's not possible?

FYI i'd rather not use GPU and rely on quickysync alone for Emby

@@softworkz

Hmm might have to use UNC path with emby then, since it wont work inside VM

The host would then be the one doing quickysync, wonder how well would that work..

Either That or i have to use physical server again

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/blue-iris-in-vmware-esxi-6-7-with-passthrough-of-intel-integrated-graphics.37768/

Looks like someone managed to get it work under esxi,

but since my environment is mostly windows  i'd rather use hyper-v

i'm not sure if it'll work with my hardware too, plus i dont think the free version is enough for my needs

Edited by denywinarto

rbjtech

UNC is fine - it's no different to a NAS in that regard. 

Personally, I always use UNC over drive letters anyway (incl local) as it's so much more flexible as you can move things around and just re-create the same share name without having to re-scan your entire emby database.

denywinarto

UNC is fine - it's no different to a NAS in that regard. 

Personally, I always use UNC over drive letters anyway (incl local) as it's so much more flexible as you can move things around and just re-create the same share name without having to re-scan your entire emby database.

Hmm its already discussed here 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52001-add-media-directly-or-via-network-paths/

I don't think i want to add more stability issues, it's already stable on the same machine.

any thoughts from others who have tried quicksync under hyper-v?