How to name? multi-version + file stacking?

mbuser18

mbuser18

I have a movie with many versions.  One of the versions needs to be file stacked since it has multiple parts.  I don't want to merge them because I like keeping them the way they are on the discs.  No matter what I do, I can't get emby to detect this, and I have no idea what the naming convention should be.  But frankly, I don't think file stacking has ever worked for me in emby, like Lord of the Rings.  But for now, I am not sure how to name files with both of these features.

Currently, I am naming like so:

Until the End of the World (1991) - Criterion-part2.mkv
Until the End of the World (1991) - Criterion-part1.mkv

You can see in the screenshot how it turns out.  What is the proper way?

post-495478-0-54718800-1590356023_thumb.png

Edited by mbuser18

pwhodges

The multi-version system is for just that multi-versions.  For multiple parts, what you've seen is it.  Or you can join the files using a program like MKVToolNix.  Or you can name them differently so that they are seen as two films, which you can then combine in a collection which at least gives the parts parity, as I've done here:

5ecaf40255ea1_flute.jpg

Paul

mbuser18

OK I understand.

I think if it shows the "additional parts" there, that means it's working.

But shouldn't this feature be as follows:

-The movie is detected as ONE single movie with multiple parts, with the total running time displayed as the sum?

-The movie automatically loads in to the next file (like the next episode in tv series) when it finishes the previous part?

I mean, ultimately this is the expected behavior.  Am I misunderstanding something?

OK I understand.

I think if it shows the "additional parts" there, that means it's working.

But shouldn't this feature be as follows:

-The movie is detected as ONE single movie with multiple parts, with the total running time displayed as the sum?

-The movie automatically loads in to the next file (like the next episode in tv series) when it finishes the previous part?

I mean, ultimately this is the expected behavior.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, what you're describing is the desired/expected behavior, and we will get there, but for the best experience possible we will always suggest joining the files.

mbuser18

Yes, what you're describing is the desired/expected behavior, and we will get there, but for the best experience possible we will always suggest joining the files.

Got it!  Thanks.

• 10 months later...
ignisanulum

Any progress in the meantime on this topic? Or is joining the files still the recommended solution?

On 4/3/2021 at 5:03 AM, ignisanulum said:

Any progress in the meantime on this topic? Or is joining the files still the recommended solution?

Hi, ultimately we will get there, but joining the files will always provide the best possible experience.