Google Drive Instructions - Need to be Updated (Please)

JulesC

JulesC

I'm trying to leverage this documentation for the Google Drive Plug-in, but it appears to be outdated, which makes it difficult/impossible (at least for me) to follow.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001162194-google-drive

Has anyone recently installed and configured the Google Drive Plug-in successfully? If so, can you please share your learning's or point me to the resource that you used.

Thanks for your help.

p.s to @@Luke - I'm sure you're juggling a lot of priorities to continually improve the Emby experience for us and we greatly appreciate all that you and your team are doing. I just wanted to bring this to your attention. UPDATE: I see from your February post (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/81581-cant-add-google-drive-account/) that you’re aware of this and have plans to update this documentation. Do you have an ETA? Thank you

Edited by JulesC

rechigo

It most likely is outdated. Google ALWAYS changes their developer console layout. If you're not used to these types of interfaces, finding what you want can be a real chore

I did it not too long ago with relative ease, just took about a couple dozen more clicks than it should have

https://www.iperiusbackup.net/en/how-to-enable-google-drive-api-and-get-client-credentials/

The above might still be relevant, if it's not I can screen record a quick guide on how to since I can't remember the steps off the top of my head

Sent from my Galaxy S10

• Like 1

JulesC

It most likely is outdated. Google ALWAYS changes their developer console layout. If you're not used to these types of interfaces, finding what you want can be a real chore

I did it not too long ago with relative ease, just took about a couple dozen more clicks than it should havehttps://www.iperiusbackup.net/en/how-to-enable-google-drive-api-and-get-client-credentials/

The above might still be relevant, if it's not I can screen record a quick guide on how to since I can't remember the steps off the top of my head

Sent from my Galaxy S10

@@rechigo Thank you! This is still overwhelming. If it’s not to much to ask, could you please screen record a quick guide. I would greatly appreciate it and I’m sure others could benefit from it. Edited by JulesC

JulesC

@@rechigo I'm going real slow and trying out the link you sent me. It was going ok (so I hope) and then I hit this screen:

Under "Create OAuth client ID" and select "Application Type", "Other" is NOT an option. Instead, the options are:

• Web application
  • Android
  • Chrome app
  • iOS
  • TVs and Limited Input devices
  • Desktop app
  • Universal Windows Platform (UWP)

Which of these should I select since "Other" isn't an option?  Thank you

rechigo

Choose desktop app, then it shoyld give you the client ID & secret to paste into emby

Sent from my Galaxy S10

JulesC

@@rechigo I’ve made it through all the steps and clicked Save under Add Account. It’s been 15 minutes and the Save process still has not completed - it’s still spinning. I feel like I’m so close. Any other ideas? Thank you

rechigo

Where did you get the code that you pasted into the text field in the plugin settings?

Sent from my Galaxy S10

Edited by rechigo

JulesC

@@rechigo From this process using this URL: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/library?pli=1

Select applicate type of “Other” (I picked Desktop instead) and name this “Emby”. Press the “Create” button.

You should now have your Client ID & client secret codes.

Copy these to notepad or other program for safe keeping. You will need this again soon. Now switch back to the Emby tab and click the “Close” button.

You can now paste the client ID and client secret codes into this dialog.

googledrive1l.png

Is this what you meant?

Edited by JulesC

rechigo

After that you have to give the backup a name and click the "grant access" button to give access to your drive and itll pull up a google oauth window to sign in

After you sign in you'll get a code that you have to copy and paste into the text field on the add account screen, then click save

If it keeps spinning then the code is invalid

(Could be a firewall blocking it)

Sent from my Galaxy S10

JulesC

@@rechigo I tried the process from scratch again and I’m having the same experience where after I click Save for Add Account it’s just spinning. I can’t think what in my firewall could be blocking this process. Would the Emby logs show us anything? Any other ideas?

Edited by JulesC

rechigo

Yeah I would attach some logs, they will most likely contain an error that will poiny us in the right direction

Sent from my Galaxy S10

JulesC

@@rechigo and others, I tried the process again after rebooting my Emby server (4.4.2.0) this morning, but still not working.

Attached is the server log. I hope it shows what the issue is so it can be resolved.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

Unfortunately, they are always changing this which makes us out of date often.  Perhaps we should just eliminate the specifics...

@@cayars

JulesC

Unfortunately, they are always changing this which makes us out of date often.  Perhaps we should just eliminate the specifics...

@@cayars

@@ebr fully understand. Any thoughts on the server log I uploaded?

Thank you

Project 640962532019 is not found and cannot be used for API calls. If it is recently created, enable Drive API by visiting https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/drive.googleapis.com/overview?project=640962532019 then retry. If you enabled this API recently, wait a few minutes for the action to propagate to our systems and retry. [403]

• Like 1

I agree @@ebr.

Or maybe I can just put an explanation that Google changes the functionality quite often and this is just a general guide as of "insert date"???

JulesC

Project 640962532019 is not found and cannot be used for API calls. If it is recently created, enable Drive API by visiting https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/drive.googleapis.com/overview?project=640962532019 then retry. If you enabled this API recently, wait a few minutes for the action to propagate to our systems and retry. [403] 

@@ebr That fixed it :) Thank you and @@cayars so much for your assistance. Now on to “Cloud Sync” ;)

Edited by JulesC
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Google changed this yet again so I updated the page again. I went through the whole setup from start to finish and took new pictures for the knowledge base.

Let me know if you see any issues now trying to follow the guide.

Carlo