Don't skip missing episodes

Romiche013

Romiche013

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this is the way @@NakedPirate thinks when talking about missing content, but here is a feature I would like.

Let me explain how I see it :

First, my concern is about TV shows only, not movies.

Let's say I have, in my TV show folder, episode 1 and 3, but episode 2 is missing.

After watching episode 1, the "play next" option will play episode 3, without telling me episode 2 is missing.

So the new feature I would like would be a message warning me I will skip one episode.

Other way to do it : while accessing to the TV show page, and once the folder has been scanned by the server, have a visual effect to inform an episode is missing.

The library scan is intended to import all of your files into the database. Once this process completes, it thinks everything is present. So taking that into consideration, how would it know if a file is missing?

It seems for TV Shows that metadata of the whole season are processed, even if the files are not there. Am I right ?

I don't know if I'm clear enough.

Please ask if you need more explanations.

Anyway, it would be great I think :)

Edit : I just saw the topic was about Kodi. I don't know if features are differents by platform, but I'm using Emby Server for Synology NAS, and Emby Client for LG WebOS

Edited by Romiche013
  • Like 1

Let's say I have, in my TV show folder, episode 1 and 3, but episode 2 is missing.

After watching episode 1, the "play next" option will play episode 3, without telling me episode 2 is missing.

So the new feature I would like would be a message warning me I will skip one episode.

That is different from this request but I agree the system should not do that.  The TV apps (Fire,Android, Roku) should already do what you ask there and not skip over the missing episode.

Romiche013

That is different from this request but I agree the system should not do that.  The TV apps (Fire,Android, Roku) should already do what you ask there and not skip over the missing episode.

I just did another test with my config :

The episode 14 is missing. After watching episode 13, next episode was 15 with no alert.

Maybe there is an option to activate this ? I looked but didn't find anything about this.

Romiche013

Maybe there is an option to activate this ? I looked but didn't find anything about this.

I found the option and activate it in both server and client side, but no effect for me for the episode missing in the current season.

But, other seasons I don't have in my media folder appear, with all the missing episodes.

What should be the normal behaviour please ?

Edited by Romiche013

NakedPirate

That's a great idea.

There are addons for a behavior like this in other players....like if there's an unwatched episode of a show or season, no matter why -> you get a popup to choose what to do:
- continue
- stop playing
- ignore this show from now on
- ignore once
- jump to next/unwatched episode

I like this! Indeed a different idea, should "we" open a thread?

Edited by NakedPirate

I found the option and activate it in both server and client side, but no effect for me for the episode missing in the current season.

But, other seasons I don't have in my media folder appear, with all the missing episodes.

What should be the normal behaviour please ?

What app and exactly what did you do and observe?

Romiche013

What app and exactly what did you do and observe?

The App is Emby for LG Smart TV, WebOS.

I'll explain tomorrow the behavior I have with screenshots, my wife is tired of me doing tests on the TV for today :)

The App is Emby for LG Smart TV, WebOS.

I'll explain tomorrow the behavior I have with screenshots, my wife is tired of me doing tests on the TV for today :)

No need, that is expected on that app right now.  Only the ones I mentioned above (Fire/Android TV and Roku) will stop on a missing episode.

Romiche013

No need, that is expected on that app right now.  Only the ones I mentioned above (Fire/Android TV and Roku) will stop on a missing episode.

Right now, like in the next version coming up in a few days ?

It's perfect !!

Thank you very much !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
piercedtiger
On 5/24/2020 at 3:13 PM, ebr said:

Really? I only watch Emby on a Roku TV and have seen it skip over missing episodes several times. I've had to go back to Emby on my laptop, select the series season, verify the missing episodes, then go download them after seeing new events in the opening recap of the currently playing episode. So I know Emby is recognizing that episodes are missing, but it still skips over them during playback. Running Emby server 4.6.7.0. What setting am I missing? I just went through all the settings in Emby on Roku and saw nothing about missing episodes.

43 minutes ago, piercedtiger said:

Really? I only watch Emby on a Roku TV and have seen it skip over missing episodes several times. I've had to go back to Emby on my laptop, select the series season, verify the missing episodes, then go download them after seeing new events in the opening recap of the currently playing episode. So I know Emby is recognizing that episodes are missing, but it still skips over them during playback. Running Emby server 4.6.7.0. What setting am I missing? I just went through all the settings in Emby on Roku and saw nothing about missing episodes.

Hi.  Can we look at a specific example of that?  You started on one episode that was there and then it skipped over one in the middle?

piercedtiger
55 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can we look at a specific example of that?  You started on one episode that was there and then it skipped over one in the middle?

Perfect example here. I had episodes 1, 2, 3, and 6. Somehow missed that I hadn't downloaded 4 and 5 until the recap started and we didn't remember most of the key parts. Emby on the Roku had gone from episode 3 to episode 6 without a single warning, alert, or popup. I would love a way to get an email alert or something when new episodes list as aired in Emby, and haven't been added to the library yet. So, for example, if a new episode comes out this Friday, I would get an email or other alert about it being aired so I could check download sources for it. Currently I manually look through all our recently watched series for missing episodes, or the recent upload lists for new episodes of those shows. Emby currently shows unaired episode information, so obviously it knows which ones are missing.

Roku SG 4.0.44 on the Roku TV as well if that helps.

skipped episodes.png

unaired.png

Edited by piercedtiger

image.thumb.png.f078eed17b90ccdae0bc34cd9257b548.png

The feature depends on the "Display missing episodes within seasons" being turned ON and a full library scan being run afterwards. That will generate the virtual placeholders of missing/future that will let the system know which do not exist and why. Without this turned on it is assumed you will curate the library and do not want virtual episodes intermingled. It defaults to them OFF because there are more complaints one way than the other. More people complain about virtual episodes missing/future being present than complain about them being absent.

Did you enable the "Advanced" toggle on your TV library to expose the "Display missing episodes within seasons" ?

side-note: To update the virtual placeholders and add new ones there must be another full library scan run of your TV libraries. Just keep that in mind.

image.png

Edited by speechles

piercedtiger
11 minutes ago, speechles said:

image.thumb.png.f078eed17b90ccdae0bc34cd9257b548.png

The feature depends on the "Display missing episodes within seasons" being turned ON and a full library scan being run afterwards. That will generate the virtual placeholders of missing/future that will let the system know which do not exist and why. Without this turned on it is assumed you will curate the library and do not want virtual episodes intermingled. It defaults to them OFF because there are more complaints one way than the other. More people complain about virtual episodes missing/future being present than complain about them being absent.

Did you enable the "Advanced" toggle on your TV library to expose the "Display missing episodes within seasons" ?

side-note: To update the virtual placeholders and add new ones there must be another full library scan run of your TV libraries. Just keep that in mind.

image.png

That option has been turned on for several months now.

If you "right click" on your TV library and choose the 3 dots it will open the context menu. On it will be "Scan library". If you scan the TV library freshly does it generate any future or missing episodes. Does your "Upcoming" tab of your TV library show any content. The "Upcoming" tab depends on the future virtual placeholders to correctly identify themselves or the feature just won't work for upcoming.

Conversely if there is no data as far as that series and its upcoming episodes on TVDB or the other metadata providers of course it will mean the entire series is not tracked for virtual placeholders.

Edited by speechles

piercedtiger

My library re-scans multiple times each day and I manually re-scan when we want to watch something immediately after download.

My screen shot above shows unaired (missing) episodes of Legacies, so yes it generates future episode information.

Yes, the upcoming tab has future episodes of several series.

upcoming.png

Okay.  I thought we had this logic in Roku but I will double check.  Perhaps it is only in Android TV/Fire TV.