What is the best casting/Android TV device there is most compatible with Emby?

DreadMore
Go to solution Solved by jordy,

Mkilbride

You're on 2019, they run different software. This is apparently an issue on older models. But the 192KHZ thing is on both models, according to the Plex forums, even 2019 Pros have the issue.

Edited by Mkilbride

rbjtech

Thanks all - oh good, I was hoping for a plug and play and it 'just worked' being a shield .. :rolleyes:  - if I wanted to mess about, I would have bought an HTPC .. Arghhh...   It hasn't been delivered yet (delayed until mid next month now) - just debating whether to cancel it and go HTPC .. Hmmmm  :unsure:

Mkilbride

HTPC will overall be the best option in terms of compatibility and usability, but a Shield is a nice little device that is the size of like a kindle that runs 98% of stuff.

guytpetj

I came from HTPC running MediaPortal, to several Android boxes running Kodi with Emby add-on. Now I'n using exclusively Fire TV. I have 6 Fire TV  4K sticks in my home. Things never worked so well with so little maintenance.

• HTPC will give you most power, most flexibility, but also most time consuming to maintain.
  • Android TV boxes, give some flexibility, but can be temperamental.
  • Fire TV stick, least flexibility, just works, no looking after it.
  • Like 1

rbjtech

I came from HTPC running MediaPortal, to several Android boxes running Kodi with Emby add-on. Now I'n using exclusively Fire TV. I have 6 Fire TV  4K sticks in my home. Things never worked so well with so little maintenance.

• HTPC will give you most power, most flexibility, but also most time consuming to maintain.
  • Android TV boxes, give some flexibility, but can be temperamental.
  • Fire TV stick, least flexibility, just works, no looking after it.

Yep - that's the same route I took - all my clients are FireTV as something 'not working' when the Mrs or kids are viewing is not where I want to be :lol:.  The main 'theatre' TV runs the LG Client (very well) but it can't do TrueHD Atmos to the Atmos Receiver, so that is really the only reason I'm buying the Shield Pro.  So if that unit can't play TrueHD/DTS-X Audio streams reliably, then I need to look elsewhere ..  there is nothing more infuriating than sitting down to watch a film and it craps out mid-way through …  :angry:

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

HTPC will overall be the best option in terms of compatibility and usability,

Sorry, but I would definitely disagree with that statement :).  Usability is probably at the bottom of the spectrum with an HTPC.  They require a lot of proper setup and maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
DreadMore

Sorry for the delay Gentlemen, I was trying to find something suitably long, with subtitles, mkv AND that would not cross anybody's sense of "copyright"
I've decided to use Hazbin Hotel pilot episode, since it has yet to be decided to be funded and released.

MKV below, if you would like to test, DL and put it into Emby server

https://mega.nz/file/IphnBB4B#byUDU3joaSEtCIgR6A96bc5OggmzRHk0sg3JU095TFQ 

Remember the scenario for the test, the issue for me appeared on ChromeCast Ultra when:

- I was playing MKV file with ASS subtitles
- the 1st symptom - subtitles load up to 2 min
- the 2nd symptom - subtitles stop changing/dissapear after aprox. 10 min of playing and you loose control of the player (anything except unlinking casting does not work)
- the 3rd symptom after aprox 1-2 min of the 2nd symptom, the movie start to stutter and ultimately lags more than it plays.

Edited by DreadMore

leungalv
On 5/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, ebr said:

Sorry, but I would definitely disagree with that statement :).  Usability is probably at the bottom of the spectrum with an HTPC.  They require a lot of proper setup and maintenance.

I've been running Emby on an HTPC since it was Media Browser, and I'd have to say that I find it to be the best to view all ranges and qualities of videos without issue.  I have tested this against the Xiaomi Mi Box S and just today the Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019).

Only recently have I found that Android TV has a better interface for certain things (e.g. IPTV).  Hands down the Nvidia Shield TV is the way to go for Android.

Though, respectfully, I'm sure you are much more familiar with the intimate workings of Emby :D, so maybe it is because I have spent hours setting up and maintaining my HTPC as well (going on 10 years) which is why I too would find that usability and compatibility of the HTPC is better than Android.  Can't wait to see what new Windows program will replace the Emby Theater.

jordy

@DreadMore, Have you thought about using a Shield, loaded with the Emby For Android TV app (set up to connect to the remote Emby Server) and using your Samsung S20 as a HotSpot only. Connect the shield to your HotSpot and use it's excellent processing power to play it on your TV. It's possible that processing the subtitles is taxing the S20 too much to provide a good Cast... just a suggestion :) Also, with the Shield you can play NetFlix, Amazon Prime and prob every other Streaming Service you can get in Poland, also games, music, YouTube , the list goes on...

OOPS, sorry I got the S20 scenario mixed up with another users post. But the rest still stands, Shield is "almost" bulletproof for playback of any media you desire to throw at it

jordy

Edited by jordy
update

DreadMore
3 hours ago, jordy said:

(...), Shield is "almost" bulletproof for playback of any media you desire to throw at it

That is why I wanted users to try the scenario presented - I believe the problem and solution lies in performance here.
Yesterday I've returned the ChromeCast Ultra and I'm wondering about getting the Shield (which is about x2.7 more expensive).

If anybody could try temporarily get the mkv file posted, upload it to server and check if they are having any issue when trying to play it (either way through Emby Client or Emby for Android TV -> hotspot) that would definately give the answers to the "is Shield's power able to force through the issue of MKV movies with .ASS subtitles" :)

• Solution
jordy

movie downloaded and tested on Emby WebUI (Firefox)  on i5 128gb Surface Pro3 and a 2017 Shield / 55" Panasonic UHD TV, both with subtitles enabled.

Neither missed a beat. perfect playback.

The attached pic is from the Shield

cheers jordy

EDIT: connections: Shield - Ethernet, Surface Pro3 - Wifi (2.4Ghz)

IMG_20200616_202049.jpg

Edited by jordy

• 5 weeks later...
DreadMore

I've just bought Shield Pro 2019 and I've got to say - it does not have the problems of ChromeCast Ultra I had (and returned)

Thank you for the help, I hope you new guys will use this article as guidance as well.

Ta-ta 

• Like 2