What is the best casting/Android TV device there is most compatible with Emby?

DreadMore
Go to solution Solved by jordy,

DreadMore

Hello,

As the subject says: what is the best plug-and-play device for casting/playing on TV from Emby?

I've been trying to use my friend's remote Emby server using Chromest Ultra, noticed some issues

(details: Chromecast and Subtitles Freezing), I want to know if there are better substitutes.

The device would need to be able to play from android devices or by itself using any subtitles, subrip, AAS, etc.

Or maybe there is a way to force feed Chromecast Ultra any drivers to allow better playback with those subtitles?

I have still 2 days to file a device return, and was thinking if nVidia Shield works any better over with those issues I have presented.

Any happy device users that want to share?

Edited by DreadMore

maegibbons

Shield is the best Android TV device.

Krs

Mark

A 'like' is always appreciated!

clarkss12

I just tested **casting** from my Samsung Galaxy S20 to my Nvidia Shield and Mecool KM1.  Both casted well, but the functions of the playback on the TV is non-existent.  Guess the question, would be ** why would you want to cast ** if you had a media player that is connected to your monitor/TV anyway??

DreadMore

Thx for the opinion maegibbons!

I just tested **casting** from my Samsung Galaxy S20 to my Nvidia Shield and Mecool KM1.  Both casted well, but the functions of the playback on the TV is non-existent.  Guess the question, would be ** why would you want to cast ** if you had a media player that is connected to your monitor/TV anyway??

Have you tried casting any movies with AAS subtitles? I know that when I do this on Chromecast Ultra it takes minutes to load the subs, plus the devices looses control/starts lagging after a bit.
What media player connected to the monitor are you referring to? I may have a laptop, but I aim not to move/reconnect it to every time I relocate from my "office room" to "bedroom" where I have a TV.

clarkss12

Thx for the opinion maegibbons!

Have you tried casting any movies with AAS subtitles? I know that when I do this on Chromecast Ultra it takes minutes to load the subs, plus the devices looses control/starts lagging after a bit.

What media player connected to the monitor are you referring to? I may have a laptop, but I aim not to move/reconnect it to every time I relocate from my "office room" to "bedroom" where I have a TV.

The media player would depend on your budget and location.....

CodeeCB

The Nvidia shield is 100% the way to go. Anyone that wants remote access to my server is required by me to use a shield to prevent possible issues. They are marvelous! It doesn't have to be the "pro"  version either, the smaller little tube shaped one is the same processor and will do the trick.

Edited by CodeeCB

DreadMore

The media player would depend on your budget and location.....

I might spend money for Shield Pro or any money equivalent - anything goes, as long as it allows to use Emby and Netflix without any issues. Does not have to stream games, just really starting to run out of sound ideas.

The location is Europe -> Poland, I think we can import most of the devices, I'm looking for anything supporting 5GHz WLAN.

Was thinking Chromecast Ultra is the one best device, but some bugs prevent me from using it for Emby using Android Smartphone as casting source device (bugs appear only during casting, no issues through playback on smartphone).

Is there any other device that supports Emby (so any typical movie format it can store and FULL subtitle support) in library and use any and Netflix?

clarkss12

I might spend money for Shield Pro or any money equivalent - anything goes, as long as it allows to use Emby and Netflix without any issues. Does not have to stream games, just really starting to run out of sound ideas.

The location is Europe -> Poland, I think we can import most of the devices, I'm looking for anything supporting 5GHz WLAN.

Was thinking Chromecast Ultra is the one best device, but some bugs prevent me from using it for Emby using Android Smartphone as casting source device (bugs appear only during casting, no issues through playback on smartphone).

Is there any other device that supports Emby (so any typical movie format it can store and FULL subtitle support) in library and use any and Netflix?

As everyone says, the Nvidia Shield it the way to go if you just want it to work.

DreadMore

Everyone so far says the nVidia Shield is ** the best option **,

but can anyone please attest if this is working when you try using ASS subtitles with your movies on the Shield through Emby?

I mean, the Shield is using a built in Chromecast, so I was wondering if Shield actually can resolve the issues I am struggling with now using Chromecast Ultra.
The issue was that ASS subs are not loading for about 2 min and stop working after ~10 minutes after (subtitle stops changing, hangs on the last one, if I keep watching for 2 minutes the movie starts lagging).

At this point I would assume the nVidia Shield overcomes this issue by brute force, but that is just my semi-educated guess, is there anyone saying Shield actually works with ASS subtitles through Emby?

CodeeCB

I've never heard of ASS subtitles. Can I test that via an add-on or where would I get a file to try it with?

And in my experience, playing on the device is > casting any day no matter what device we're talking about.

DreadMore

I've never heard of ASS subtitles. Can I test that via an add-on or where would I get a file to try it with?

And in my experience, playing on the device is > casting any day no matter what device we're talking about.

Chromecast Ultra only allows casting AFAIK, so I could not test playing, but.. correct me if I'm wrong... do you mean that Shield itself can play the movie, through Emby Android TV?

• Like 1

CBers

Everyone so far says the nVidia Shield is ** the best option **,

but can anyone please attest if this is working when you try using ASS subtitles with your movies on the Shield through Emby?

I mean, the Shield is using a built in Chromecast, so I was wondering if Shield actually can resolve the issues I am struggling with now using Chromecast Ultra.

The issue was that ASS subs are not loading for about 2 min and stop working after ~10 minutes after (subtitle stops changing, hangs on the last one, if I keep watching for 2 minutes the movie starts lagging).

At this point I would assume the nVidia Shield overcomes this issue by brute force, but that is just my semi-educated guess, is there anyone saying Shield actually works with ASS subtitles through Emby?

Supply a short sample and the people with Shields can test for you.

Mkilbride

Not properly no. You need to burn in your .ASS subtitles or you get all kinds of weird stuff.

FrostByte

I have no problem with ASS subtitles (no burning in) on my Shield using the ATV app.  Dual layer PGS subs look like doodoo though unless using an external player

• Like 1

Mkilbride

Well. I mean, for anime specifically, you should burn in, because often you have more than one pair of subtitles on screen, and if you don't burn in, Emby handles them weirdly and a lot of stuff goes unsubbed. It tries to shove like two subtitles on top of each other or something. And yeah, I've seen the same with PGS when they had karoke going and dialogue subtitles, they kept cutting out.

• Like 1

CodeeCB

Chromecast Ultra only allows casting AFAIK, so I could not test playing, but.. correct me if I'm wrong... do you mean that Shield itself can play the movie, through Emby Android TV?

The shield is like a mini PC that you can control with the included remote so the device has the emby app which you would do everything. If you can link an example file I can give it a shot.

Deathsquirrel

I have no problem with ASS subtitles (no burning in) on my Shield using the ATV app.  Dual layer PGS subs look like doodoo though unless using an external player

They don't look like doodoo, they mostly don't look at all since you can barely see the hollow text outlines on most screens!

• Like 1

rbjtech

I purchased a Nvidia Sheld Pro today as they are finally back in stock here in the UK, so I'll be joining the ATV club soon to see what it can and can't do. :)   I only actually purchased for the TrueHD Atmos (as the LG app does everything I need, bar that..) but keen to see how it behaves for subs too, PGS especially ...

Edited by rbjtech

serpi

IMHO the best player for Emby is Kodi with Emby/EmbCon plugin, direct access and Embuary skin.

It might not be the best or fastest interface (depending on the skin), but the player is pretty good, it can even play 3D movies, something Emby is not able to do itself and it also has classic gaming emulation, so you can play SNES games etc. with it.

You even can use a PI, Android box or small HTPC with LibreElec, which is a little Linux with integrated Kodi to create a little Emby Player box.

Ciao, Alfred

FrostByte

I purchased a Nvidia Sheld Pro today as they are finally back in stock here in the UK, so I'll be joining the ATV club soon to see what it can and can't do. :)   I only actually purchased for the TrueHD Atmos (as the LG app does everything I need, bar that..)

but keen to see how it behaves for subs too, PGS especially ...

Prepare to be disappointed when using dual layer PGS subs.  Unless you use an external player.

Mkilbride

Haha yeah, dual layer PGS subs are frustrating.

Also...you purchased it for TrueHD. Prepare to be frustrated. NVIDIA broke TrueHD in it's latest updates and it's hit or miss if it'll work or not. They said they've fixed it and will roll it out in the next release, but that could be months away.

CodeeCB

Haha yeah, dual layer PGS subs are frustrating.

Also...you purchased it for TrueHD. Prepare to be frustrated. NVIDIA broke TrueHD in it's latest updates and it's hit or miss if it'll work or not. They said they've fixed it and will roll it out in the next release, but that could be months away.

When did TrueHD start having issues? I haven't had any recent updates that I can think of and haven't had any issues either. I'm on the newer 2019 pro model if there's any difference.

Mkilbride

Fourth HotFix (32.5.205.112 (same as Third HotFix) deployed on 5/26/2020):

• Adds SMB v3 support to SHIELDs samba server and moves the server out of Plex Media Server.
  • Fixes an issue with plex where playback starts up & gets paused and will not continue to play, with TrueHD only
  • Fixes an issue with smbV3 where unit requires a reboot to view copied files over shield external drive
  • Fixes a decoding issue with vc-1 encoded media content

It just got fixed today in the Hotfixes. Before there was an issue with it unless you skipped ahead.

192KHZ TrueHD is currently experiencing freezes and stuttering on all Shields though, according to a Plex post and my own testing.

MrMC however fixed this in it[s program by disabling something called IEC Packed or enabling it for some users.  But now it's running smoother.

CodeeCB

I just checked my software version and I guess I'm on a really old version? I've never declined an update though.

Model P2897

Version 9

Android security patch level Dec 5th, 2019

Should Android TV SW ver 8.1.1(32.7.301)

Auto upgrade is also enabled...I wonder if I dare manually try to trigger the updates haha

*Edit: actually it looks like I'm on a higher version than you already? (Very 32.7.301 vs you on 32.5

205?)

Edited by CodeeCB