Collections & changing paths(names)

letterman

letterman

When organizing my library I often have to move albums to another place in my directory structure. Sometimes there are only small spelling mistakes in the path, which have to be corrected.

Is there a way to scan all collections [boxsets] for items with wrong/changed paths? Currently, items with wrong paths are simply not displayed (even they are still in the .xml). That's not nice and very confusing. One totally loses the overview, especially with a very dynamic library (lots of new and deleted paths). It would be totally sufficient if there would be tiny log file somewhere, so I can corrected the wrong items manually. Or a small tool/plugin, which just scans the collections for wrong entries. That would save a lot of time.

I think this applies to the playlists equally.

Edited by letterman

Hi @@letterman, there's currently no way to do this, but it's not a bad idea for the future. thanks for the feedback.

letterman

pls do integrate a tool to analyse the correctness of paths of items in collections and playlists, e.g. it can be a plugin. It is really a big problem, because there is not hint. In long playlists it is nearly impossible to find out few missing songs. and our paths change very often due to organization-reasons... Thats why using of collections and playlists can not be recommended at that stage, even we would love to.

One thing is interesting:

If, for example, the album with the wrong path is added again in emby (same way you add new items), the wrong path in the XML file is repaird/exchanged. No new entry is created. Somehow Emby seems to find out that the path or file already exists - so there is a matching somehow. It would be gourgous, if changing paths would be changed in .xml-files too.

Edited by letterman

• 3 weeks later...
Brendon

@Luke is there not a way we can have a collection id in the nfo so as moved files will still be seen as part of a collection?

I myself have generally avoided collections over the decade i have used Emby as they are too easily broken and as such require high maintenance, especially when you have almost 8000 movies. I am at the moment playing around and building them up again but paranoid if i have to restructure the library in any way that they are all lost. My thinking is similar to the way i can movie a file and Emby doesn't put it up as a new release as it's read the data from the nfo and knows it was already in the library, so maybe an id number in the DB for a collection can be tagged into the nfo?

Apologies if this has already been looked at, just thinking out loud as i know this bothers a lot of users.

Happy2Play
On 6/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, Brendon said:

@Luke is there not a way we can have a collection id in the nfo so as moved files will still be seen as part of a collection?

I myself have generally avoided collections over the decade i have used Emby as they are too easily broken and as such require high maintenance, especially when you have almost 8000 movies. I am at the moment playing around and building them up again but paranoid if i have to restructure the library in any way that they are all lost. My thinking is similar to the way i can movie a file and Emby doesn't put it up as a new release as it's read the data from the nfo and knows it was already in the library, so maybe an id number in the DB for a collection can be tagged into the nfo?

Apologies if this has already been looked at, just thinking out loud as i know this bothers a lot of users.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play can you link to the feature request topic about this? Thanks.

Make collections path independent