DS 218+ H/W transcoding problems?

Byrneb
Go to solution Solved by awkdk,

Byrneb

I recently installed two new 6TB Iron Wolf drives in a DS218+.  Using two .mkv files to test with Emby Server: a 720P H.264 plays flawlessly. A FHD HEVC (H.265) plays very briefly before Synology CPU usage pegs at 99% and playback stutters and freezes. ffmpeg usage takes 90% of CPU.  The FHD file plays flawlessly on a PC with VLC.

Note: When installing DS 218, I did format the pool storage as RAID 0 thinking that would help overall performance.

Any help will be appreciated.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-8d38906d-8165-472c-bc7e-c5ddefacb89e_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-667bda90-a1d2-4143-b396-df1cbbaf0c97_1.txt

Hi there, can you please attach the hardware detection log as well? thanks.

Byrneb

I have now noticed that my problem mkv video is 10 bit depth and over 4700 kbps bitrate.  Could that relate to the problem?  Thank you.

awkdk

What player are you using? The web player can not play HEVC natively, and the server has to transcode to H.264 on the fly.

You could try one of the native players, as most of them support HEVC playback.

Byrneb

Thanks for responding.  My primary goal is to play it via the Roku app.  Is the Emby server (running on DS218+) able to transcode it successfully on the fly. If so, could I have a setting wrong?

(Pardon my newbie-ness.)

awkdk

I don't know Roku, so your best bet is to check the knowledge base at https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001161839-roku or ask your question in the Roku forum at https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/91-roku/

From your original post, it seems your DS218+ is not powerful enough to transcode on the fly, but you could set up a conversion to H.264 in Emby (either to replace the original or alongside the original). If you set the conversion to original quality, you would get a file about twice the size of the original, but it will play on your Roku directly.

• Solution
awkdk

Yes, conversion is Premiere only. Another Premiere feauter is hardware accelerated transcoding, which might make your DS218+ capable of on the fly transcoding.

Alternatively, you could download Handbrake and do the conversion manually ;)

Edited by awkdk
  • Like 1