m3u and Multiple Sources

leungalv

leungalv

Does Android TV combine and search for the "playable" source of the same channel in an m3u file?

I have the following in one single m3u file:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="0067" tvg-id="HGTV (West)" tvg-name="HGTV (West)" group-title=USA NETWORK TV",US: HGTV (WEST)
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="0067" tvg-id="HGTV (West)" tvg-name="HGTV (West)" group-title=USA NETWORK TV",US: HGTV (WEST)
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="0068" tvg-id="Oxygen (West)" tvg-name="Oxygen (West)" group-title=USA NETWORK TV",US: OXYGEN (WEST)
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="0068" tvg-id="Oxygen (West)" tvg-name="Oxygen (West)" group-title=USA NETWORK TV",US: OXYGEN (WEST)

In the Android TV guide, only one instance of each channel (i.e. 0067 and 0068) will show up - does it recognize that there are two sources for each channel and will play each subsequent source if the latter does not work? Or is it merely ignoring the "duplicate"?

Hi.  There wouldn't be anything special about the Android TV app in this case.  Do you see the exact same channels in the guide in the web app?

I don't believe we are able to pool multiple m3u sources for the same channel at this time but that should be coming in the future.

leungalv

Hi.  There wouldn't be anything special about the Android TV app in this case.  Do you see the exact same channels in the guide in the web app?

I don't believe we are able to pool multiple m3u sources for the same channel at this time but that should be coming in the future.

It only displays one instance of the channel.  The circled selection has two sources listed separately as in my first post.

5ec9686560619_20200523_14h14_31.png

leungalv

Is this the same as what you see in Android TV?

Yes, same as in Emby Theater.

It's not a problem, I was just curious if it did hunt for the next stream - that would be amazing, because it would allow users to put in order sources based on reliability

Currently no, but we plan to give you more control over this in future updates. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Pseibold

Perhaps just code a .1 channel.  As in if Emby sees four Channel 50's.  It would display them at 50, 50.1, 50.2, 50.3, and 50.4 

• 10 months later...
marcsimus

I was just looking to see if I could do exactly this. My iptv provider has a lot of "duplicate" channels. Would be amazing if the guide would only show the channel once, but once you select the channel it would allow you to switch between those source urls.

My situation is slightly different though, and therefore worth mentioning as it could perhaps influence an implementation of this idea. Perhaps this isn't new information, but worth throwing out there anyway. It looks like your "duplicate" entries are exactly the same, except for the urls themselves. In my m3u, they're listed as separate channels, having different tvg-id, tvg-name, and other values. For example:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-ID="trutv.us" tvg-name="US: TruTV HD 1080P" tvg-logo="https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/TruTV_2014.svg/1200px-TruTV_2014.svg.png" group-title="US - Entertainment",US: TruTV HD 1080P
http://source.com/ABCD/32687149/0537426/8534.ts

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-ID="" tvg-name="USA: truTV FHD" tvg-logo="" group-title="US - Entertainment",USA: truTV FHD
http://source.com/ABCD/32687149/0537426/110085.ts

Even if it's a manual effort to set that up, would be nice to be able to mark these as different sources of the same channel and then be able to flip between them without those extra sources muddying up the guide and other areas of the UI.

What most of us have done/do is discard the HD keeping only the FHD version since it's the higher quality version.  Same on cable setups when you get the channel in SD or HD.