Slow Browsing of library

froggy

froggy

I have found ListItem.setInfo is expensive so should only be called once with a full map of info for each info label type. I have made a change to the addGUIItem to add all the info in one go, this has reduce time spend in the setInfo function by 75% on my machine, which gives a 25% reduction in overall time.

I am sure that would be ok, just need to work out what is causing the issues.

Great if  one can be knocked up i'll be able to test on tablet  and zbox :)

froggy

Aha fair play. I think i might be able to cobble up  some basic url fetcher by hacking inexpertly at the code if needs be!

I've gotten the new git version, everything feels slightly snappier. However things still lag somewhat and going in and out of the tv shows, and season is still laggy. For testing I have plex running side by side, and I have mirrored the data both have. The plex response is much faster and responsive :s

Edited by froggy

• 2 weeks later...
Pugsly

recently read a guide to customizing WMC/MediaBroser their solution for slow library updates was to use anexternal usb thumb for image/image by name storage and redirecting mediabrowser to read from the thumb drive like a ssd

Start by formatting your USB Flash Drive to FAT32. (You can do this by right clicking the USB Drive and clickingFormat... Choose FAT32 from the File System drop down menu in the next window.)
You need to make sure that Hidden Files & Folders are set to show.
Then navigate to C:\ProgramData (or type %programdata% into any Explorer window)
Cut or Copy the MediaBrowser folder to your Flash Drive.
Delete MediaBrowser from C:\ProgramData if you copied.
Open a command prompt (WinKey+R > cmd) and type these commands in, hitting enter after each one;
cd C:\ProgramData (Change C:\ to your ProgramData drive)
mklink /J MediaBrowser X:\MediaBrowser (Change X to your Flash drive)

it's working great for me

reloads under 2 seconds

have 3287 movie files on two drives (2tb, and a 3tb)

also 438 TV shows all episodes all seasons on three drives (2tb, 1.5tb,  and a 3tb)

plus Concert video on 1tb drive with windows 7 ultimate 64

3.2 quad core amd phenom

16gb ddr4

• Like 1

froggy

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my  c partition on my server is a ssd. I move my progam files generally from there , to keep that partition relatively clean and also to minimise data loss on reinstalls. However I have tried  with mediabrowser on there to see if that would fix anything.

It seems to be a general issue with processing and displaying information rather than the speed of things being fetched.

Edited by froggy

dark_slayer

I've had this problem as well when testing it out on a late 2013 15" rmbp

I enabled performance profiling in settings, but after loading my movie library it says "Error: Script Failed - XBMB3C" though I do not see this error when profiling is off

In all cases, entering my TV shows directory takes a very acceptable 1.5s

Entering Recently Added Movies (which I toggled up to 40) takes an also acceptable 2.5s

Unfortunately my movie library takes 15s to enter (1578 titles)

Most of my HTPCs are heftily powered, but the majority of the time spent occurs before any progress on the bar is made. Once the processing begins it goes fairly quick, but the time before hand is usually about 9s (I think the output reads "parsing json data" during that time)

Any clue about the profiling error? After two attempts to enter the movie library with performance profiling turned on, I have no "Profile Cumulative" folder in my addon_data/plugin.video.xbmb3c folder. I do have two profile_date_or_something.tab files, but looking at both they only have the headers of some of the output shown above

dark_slayer

Which log I can enable along with performance profiling that would give clues? Info or debug? Within xbmb3c or from the server?

dark_slayer

Ok, well I still haven't successfully enabled performance profiling, opened my movies library, and gotten a successful log (or full .tab file, not sure which one should show)

But . . . 

I did change skins from mq5 to nox. I noticed the last post you made in your nox thread xnappo, so I left people and overview turned off in XBMB3C settings

Using nox with those turned off loads my excessive 1578 title library in 5.4 s (quite nice) and it finishes parsing json by 2.5s

Under mq5 (also having people and overviews turned off) had resulted in about 9-10s to parse and 15 to load

Also, for all of my comments I'm using the Gotham repo (addon and skins) in Gotham 13.2 beta3 osx 64 with server 3.0.5326.13255

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm may try this.

The issue for me is the repeated lag. For instance "normal" xbmc will take a good few seconds to load up my main library. This used to be quite painful, but over time its lessed , due to development of xbmc and sql issues being ironed out.

However after the initial delay it is very zippy going back in and out.

An initial delay I could deal with, but constant lag while navigating is frustrating ...

• 3 weeks later...
blauter78

My library has about 100 movies and sometimes taking 10-40 seconds to load under mq5. I am using plugin from git and disabled stream info, actors and overview which has helped me get this low but still seems high compared to what others are claiming. I am attaching the relevant part of the log. I do see an exception but not sure what it means. Any experts willing to take a quick look at the log for me and see if anything obvious stands out?

I do see 7 seconds alone between these two lines.

07:55:27 T:1809878936  NOTICE: XBMB3C DownloadUtils -> ====== 200 finished ======
07:55:34 T:1809878936  NOTICE: XBMB3C 1 -> Json Load Result : 2

Also an exception being thrown a little bit after:

07:55:37 T:1646915304   DEBUG: script.videolanguage: version 0.1.0 started
07:55:37 T:1809878936   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ValueError'>
                                            Error Contents: zero length field name in format
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.xbmb3c/default.py", line 2823, in <module>
                                                f.write(str(ncalls) + "\t" + "{:10.4f}".format(total_time) + "\t" + "{:10.4f}".format(cumulative_time) + "\t" + func_name + "\t" + filename + "\r\n")
                                            ValueError: zero length field name in format
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
07:55:37 T:1646915304   DEBUG: script.videolanguage: params: {'backend': 'True'}
07:55:37 T:1646915304   DEBUG: JSONRPC: Value does not lay between minimum and maximum in type movieid

Then is seems the largest portion of time is spent adding the items to the screen.

xbmc.log.zip

boywhosetsfire

Unfortunately no update concerning performance, but the exception you observed should be caught in the latest version at Github. It was caused by an old Python-version you are using and is only thrown if performance profiling is activated.

xnappo

Have you guys tried Equilibrium?  On the home screen you have access to your whole library and it background loads.  In theory we could use this method to replace the standard skin browsing.  It would probably have to be a from-scratch skin.

xnappo