Slow Browsing of library

froggy

xnappo

Nope - sorry still not adding up.  I have a 1.1ghz Celeron NUC.  I can't see how your Ion could be that much slower.  How old is it?  Maybe running from a slow USB drive or something?

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

froggy

Hi there, i did an experiment and installed mediaserver on the low performing machine, so network lag would be zero, and still the issue persits. turning of everything still shows lag.

So basically, theres not alot that can be done, as i cant change the interpreter or add more cpu to the machine It seems odd that string parsing, while traditionally high in computational cost should take so much time :/

froggy

Ah thanks , I am following this with interest. It's not something I can use right now , but I *want * to use it, because , well it's neat:)

So, string processing is okay, python for the addon in that direction is fine, which make sense that puzzled me (but then I actually had a look at the strig data being returned,a lot, and thought I might have mispoke). But we still have a problem with python and adding gui elements. I think we can agree for a local box 6 seconds every time is not great.

What IS taking all the time, is it just a culumative effect of everything not being so fast? Process directory and add gui seem to be the main ones. Add gui is adding a series of string lines to the gui and process directory, that is just looking at the main directorys. Why is that slow? Is it doing lots of extra things like looking at what's in those directories or such?

I notice that I have maybe 3 times the amount of tv series I should have because they are seperated over 4 disks, with xbmc just showing tv series as one lot independent of where they are. Does mediabrowser do that, is there a switch?

xnappo

It must just be that your Ion is slow.  As you have seen it is faster on your other machines.  Yes - it is a cummulative effect.

It sounds like you are using the 'All TV' node.  You can make your own collections inside the MB3 server.  You should try using the user-defined nodes instead, as the 'All TV' node does not get cached.

xnappo

froggy

Hi there,

The ion is 1.8ghz and plays very high resolution movies well. Mind you it is about 3 years old, so perhaps. Doesn't seem right though.

Ah THAT is interesting,  could be onto a winner with that methadology. However a media center is nothign without a nice look to it, I'm using mq5 for xbm3c. Doe that point to the all tv node by default? could I do a search and replace to replace the node of one of my choosing?

xnappo

Video processing is totally separate from data processing now days.  Pi also plays video just fine.  But... Still doesn't make sense to me - but without a box myself to test with I think we are at a loss to explain it.   All I know is I have a theoretically weaker box and do not see this issue.  Did you try the alternate JSON parser(in Advanced settings)?

Yes - by default Aeon MQ5 is pointing to the 'All TV' node.  You can test the speed of custom nodes just by going in to 'Video'-'AddOns'-'XBMB3C'.

If it is faster, then use the MQ5 custom menu stuff to add menu entries pointing to the custom video nodes.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

froggy

Hi there, I made a collection called m3 tv shows (type collection).

But alas speeds are the same and no improvement

xnappo

And you browsed in using that instead right?  Though Video->AddOns->MyTV?

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

ok that's fine. i only brought it up because i was under the impression that the worst offender here is parsing the server data.

• Like 1

froggy

Yes always , my tests are done now with standard skin and video add on.

I've tried the plexbmc addon and it's fine, so maybe the machine isn't too slow, but then plex meta data might not be so big. I dislike a plex solution however, this seems the way my ideologies are towards :)

I guess I'll have to wait until more people have speed issues, or if none do upgrade both my xbmc machines  ;D

can someone perform the following test using this library for protocol buffers (google's binary data format):

https://github.com/acg/lwpb

- Take a json string that is received from the server

- Parse that string into an object

- Convert that object to binary using protobuf

- Then use protobuf to convert the binary data back to an object

See how that last step compares to parsing json strings (it is faster, question is, how much). 

If it provides enough improvement i can add protobuf output to the server api.

xnappo

Yeah, I can confirm on every machine I am seeing the built-in being faster - anywhere from 50% to 90% depending on which machine.

@@froggy - you tried the 'JSON instead of Simple JSON' switch right?

I will leave the switch it, but change the default for now.

xnappo

xnappo

Yeah, I just realized that and changed the logic instead.  Look at the Git if you don't get what I mean :)

Thanks,

xnappo

xnappo

Only because of the ARM etc platforms that we don't have access to.  I am thinking it may still be interesting when people complain about speed to have something to try.  If we find that built-in is always best, definitely agree we should remove it.

xnappo

froggy

Hmm , this all makes sense, and on my main machine there is no lag. However, low powered client machines are common with xbmc no? And at 1.8ghz and 2g ram its not even that shabby.

I can get directory listings streamed to the machine fine, so basic adding text to the interface is fine. Could there be lots of processing where no so much is needed?

froggy

Hmm yes , fair play on that.

As to getting remote library listings, I do hesitate to use the four letter word "plex" ;), but I only raise it as a comparison in tests I have done. that plugin, returns the whole listing for the all the library directories really fast.

xnappo

@ - okay, I am fine with removing it completely, I just thought we might want to keep it around for people to play with.  

@@froggy - yes please post some more profiles - I am really surprised you aren't seeing a difference with the other JSON version.  Also surprised that switching to using User nodes didn't make a noticeable difference.

I don't understand why your system is running slow - are you using a network install of XBMC or anything weird like that?  Again, while XBMB3C is not as fast as the native library, I expect it to be about 3x faster than what you are seeing for a 1.8Ghz processor.

xnappo 

froggy

I know it's a mystery , its a good little box as well.

However I have to say that this performance is also seen on a windows 8 1.8ghz. That's over wifi, while the zbox has a gbit connection, but it does just seem to be a cpu issue on my machines, if you say it shows the server returning fast. However , ack correlation doesn't imply  causation. Okay I'll get things setup  and go into tvshows 3 times ...

xnappo

Please also try turning off 'People' and 'Overview' in the data.  We are discussing a way to load that info dynamically instead of all at once.

xnappo

froggy

Right I've turned of everything
And I'm using pi json  the logs are here, up for 1 day :

http://pastebin.com/RWGrW7pA
http://pastebin.com/1c6AQsxm
http://pastebin.com/JH1q0s44

One thing I notice is that a cache file is created but doesnt speed up loads , but then I guess we know getting speed is okay.
Also he cache file does only have minimal data (however I dont think going forward this is great , one thing at a time however), and is around 103kb in size, it seems reasonably small and okay for parsing

if they're sending less data then why don't we look at reducing our output as well?

froggy

What about a test

What about a test script that doesn't do anything except get data from the link (lets just say minimal set for now) and displays the link data and time  how much that takse, I'm willing to help get this working, and it will be great for low powered boxes, I've seen other speed issue threads.

Hmm i've taken a look at the code, I'm pretty good with api calls and whatnot, but a) I don't know python B) I don't know the addon system c) I dont know the media server that well d) All that work into something I've not got the time to do quickly myself when you guys know whats what is a little redundant :D

Edited by froggy

LehighBri

This is great to hear.  I use RPi's as my clients and look forward to trying this out to see how much faster it might be.  It's bearable today, but not ideal... so looking forward to seeing what the improvement is like.

• Like 1