New Server Help.

Iangbarton

Iangbarton

I am sorry that this an FAQ, but have found lots of conflicting reviews:) I am used to building my own computer, but since making my MythTV box about 5 years ago, things have moved on a lot! MythTV is now retired and I am using this box for Emby, but since I now have some 4k GoPro footage the hardware isn't up to it.

Requirements: something that can stream 2.5k footage from the GoPro and 1080p from other sources. There won't be more than 2 users for the majority of the time.

I have an Antec Sonata case and PSU that I would like to re-use. This is big enough to house my existing RAID1 drives. I'll be using ArchLinux as the OS.

Researching motherboards, most now seem to be directed at gamers and are probably more than I need. Also, I haven't kept track of what CPU I might need.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Iangbarton

Hi, just in case it helps, it sounds like this topic has similar requirements:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86184-new-server-build-question/

Thanks. Browsing through Amazon, I can get a bundle like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WGWDBDP/?coliid=I1BBAEHYOSMS05&colid=3ED08HUHRD9UF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

which looks as though it would be OK for me.

Q-Droid

You would be starting on the back foot with that combo being somewhat dated and end of life. Move up to a 300 series motherboard and 8th or 9th gen CPU of which an i3 would perform equally or better than the Kaby Lake i5. Then if you needed to later could upgrade with an easy CPU swap.

Iangbarton

You would be starting on the back foot with that combo being somewhat dated and end of life. Move up to a 300 series motherboard and 8th or 9th gen CPU of which an i3 would perform equally or better than the Kaby Lake i5. Then if you needed to later could upgrade with an easy CPU swap.

Thanks. It's been sujch a long time since I had to choose a processor/motherboard that I am completely at sea with all the different processor types.