Volume Dropout Issue on FF or RW

jslost

jslost

Hello @@SamES

Just got going and went all in Emby, signed up for premier a little bit back. 

So, I just today noticed that on the LG TV App the volume disappears if we fast forward or rewind. This is a terrible problem and it means we can't go forward or back without losing volume.  Even if we start the video over, we can't fast forward it back where we were at before because the volume drops out again.  Basically, if we even touch the FF or RWD we're screwed and have to start the entire video over. Lame.

Has anyone else seen this? 

Synology DS218J

Emby 4.4.2.0

LG OLED55C7p-U

150mpbs+ hardwired

All pretty legit devices and setup, everything else works perfect.

Any ideas on how to address this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

J

rbjtech

How are you FF/RW ?  Using the magic remote to point to the position on the line, or the 10 sec RW or 30 sec FF are the only options I have on the magic remote (by using the left/right or pointer) ? 

jslost

Thanks for the reply. Typically with the Left and Right arrows (part of the main nav setup) on the magic remote. I will test the other on screen options later today (can't given the kids are watching something at the moment and I can't risk messing with it).

rbjtech

ok - that's what I find odd - if I press left on the magic remote, it highlights RW 10 secs, if I press right, it highlights FF 30 secs.  There is no RW/FF as such other than the magic remote where you can obviously select anywhere you like on the timeline to jump to.

jslost

I was able to test this more.  The results are mixed. On our magic remote the left and right arrows will automatically RW or FF.  If we do this it will (99%) kill the audio.  The only time it won't is when we do a single button press, for example a quick 10 second RW. That doesn't seem to cause the issue. But, if we press the button 2+ times to go back further the audio drops. Same thing with going FW.

The same result happens if we use the magic remote pointer to jump back and forth.  Same thing if we use the pointer to select the on screen RW or FF buttons. Interestingly, sometimes the audio would come back, sometimes after a 2-10 second delay it would come back. In some cases I waited up to a minute and it did not restore.  Given these cases where it did restore after a delay, I'm thinking now it may be some type of buffering or sync that is not following the video on RR or FF.

Just restarted the EMBY server and it didn't help. I also looked through the logs but they don't seem to show anything (I can tell) about the volume during playback or the FF RW.

Edited by jslost

jslost

Interesting, I hadn't considered this as potential consideration.  I have never really looked into whether it is transcoding or not. I suppose this is due to the fact that Emby has simply handled most everything without issue (yet).  

Anyway, here are specifics on the video used for testing.  

Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 663 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 29 min
Overall bit rate                         : 1 032 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf57.22.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 1 h 29 min
Bit rate                                 : 900 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 694 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.85:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.042
Stream size                              : 578 MiB (87%)

rbjtech

Unless it has some bizarre audio track, then that would almost certainly be a direct play. (h264/avc)  It's also a tiny bandwidth for your emby/nas/tv to handle so I can't imagine any issues with 'buffering'. 

Does it happen on all media (from different sources), or just select files ?

jslost

I was able to do additional testing yesterday.  This happens with all media of any type, size, etc... 

It seems to me to be an issue with the emby LG app.  I'm hoping devs can do some of their own testing and see what's up. 

rbjtech

Very bizarre - I don't have any issues at all  :unsure: 

Same LG App, Same Emby Release.  My TV is a C8 but i'd imagine the WebOS version is reasonably inline with a C7 ?  My emby server is also running on a Windows PC with direct attached storage.   I'm not sure what difference that would make - but it could be a latency thing.

If you have the time, then maybe setup a quick emby server on your PC (use the portable version), add a couple of media files and see if you get the same behaviour vs the NAS.

jslost

It's all good, thanks for the help. That's a good call on the separate server, i may give that a shot.