Any way to disable joystick/gamepad input?

alex194

alex194

Hello,

is there any way to disable joystick inputs other than unplugging the device?

I have a HOTAS setup (Flightsimulator Stick and Throttle) and its input is recognised by Emby Theater and the Stick or Throttle (or both) often send input that will mute, fast forward, stop playback or do other unwanted actions. This is extremely annoying especially when i play games like elite dangerous while i want to watch / listen to some of my Video/Audio content. Or when i simply don't want to get my ass up from the couch and walk over to PC to unplug them :-) .

- when i unplug the devices these issues instantly disappear.

- similar issues with emby web app, so this is no workaround (issues also disappearing as soon as i unplug the HOTAS)

I have installed the latest Version of Emby Theater 2 days ago.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
mbuser18

I would also like this.  Similarly, I have controllers and separate software used to remap the controllers to do exactly what I want.  However, without an emby option to disable it's internal gamepad functions, it does not play well with any other software.  It has it's own ideas of what to do with the buttons and no way to disable or customize.  All you need to do is add a checkbox somewhere to disable the emby internal default controller settings.  Then we can do whatever we want.

• 8 months later...
fillidill

This is literally the only reason left for me to not make the switch to Emby from Plex. Any news if this is going to be implemented or not for web app? I am hoping it wouldnt be a big thing to add.

Edited by fillidill

• 1 month later...

I would also love to see this feature added. I also have a gaming setup using several different flight controllers. I can't use Emby Theater with them plugged in - it acts like something is holding down a directional button/axis, even when the controllers aren't in use (but they're plugged in). If there was an option to just disable game controller input, I'd be happy. I also sometimes have this issue with the Web Browser Client as well.

On a side note, if you wanted to get fancy with it, you could even make a multiple choice version of this. Allow the option of placing a checkmark by connected devices that you want to "allow", or unchecked to "deny", to control Emby. So you could have options such as:

• Keyboard & Mouse (Allow)
  • Wireless 360 Gamepad 1 (Allow)
  • Xbox Gamepad 2 (Deny)
  • Flight Yoke (Deny)
  • Throttle Quadrant (Deny)
  • Rudder Peddles (Deny)

In the situation listed above, I could control Emby with Keyboard & Mouse, and also with a Wireless 360 Gamepad - But Emby will ignore all other input from other controllers.

As even another step, you could make it to where you can pick a device to control Emby, even when it's not in focus. For example, going off of the example above, there could be an option (another checkbox maybe?) labeled "Focus Only", or whatever title might be fitting. Lets say you uncheck this option on the Wireless 360 controller - The Wireless 360 controller would then always control Emby, even if I was playing a game with other controllers at the same time (I like to watch movies on long flights lol), or have a web browser in focus, or any other secondary task. If a device is selected for "allow" and "Focus Only" is enabled (checked), then that device would only work with Emby when it's in focus - this option would most likely be preferred for a keyboard/mouse.

TLDR; But really, I'd be totally cool with just a master switch to turn of all game controller devices - I think it's a much needed feature, especially since some game controllers seem to cause undesirable results.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Problem for me as well. I have a racing wheel plugged in and it is a major hassle having top unplug it all the time.

• 3 months later...
Phancypants

Found this searching for the exact same thing.  I have a HOTAS setup for Elite Dangerous and if the wrong window has priority when I'm coming out of a cruise I end up scrubbing through the video I'm watching.  It's so annoying that I end up switching to VLC when I'm playing