smb paths when external drive on Shield while Server on Windows 8?

otarie
Go to solution Solved by TeamB,

otarie

Hey there,

I've been using emby for kodi for years now with my NAS and it was working fine. My Setup is a windows 8.1 PC in the office running Emby 4.4.2.0 and Shield TV Pro 2019 running Kodi 18.6. Everythings wired with lan cables but I have to use a powerline adapter to get to the office (ca.340mbps) recently upgraded to 4K and attached a 5TB drive directly to my Shield TV Pro 2019 for 4K stuff. Here is where it gets weird. I added the new location via unc paths to my movie library (\\SHIELD\ShieldDrive\NVIDIA_SHIELD\Videos\Recent Shield). I want Kodi to play the files directly from the external hard drive without using the network paths but i cant figure out what the local path is to put into the "shared network folder"-option or am i misunderstanding sth here? If i just play a movie from the attached hard drive through the library with those smb paths (smb://SHIELD/ShieldDrive/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Videos/Recent Shield/...) its starts playing and is buffering like its playing directly from the external hard drive but i get video blocking/freezes, audio drops and the shield gets so slow that sometimes i cant even get the side menu to come out and i have to pull the power plug to restart. Feels like the shield is choking on sth. Any idea what that could be? Files from my NAS work flawlessly. Oh and if i use the file manager to start the file from the drive directly its works fine.

I'm out of my depth here, any help is appreciated! Thank you :)

rbjtech

If you are setting up an SMB share on the shield - then emby is having to read the file from the shield, process it, and then effectively send it back to the shield to play.  Why not simply attach the 5Tb drive to your NAS (assuming that is possible via USB2/3?) and share it as part of your NAS ?  That way, the data is only transferred once from the NAS to the Emby server and then onto the Shield as a client.   

You should also be aware that powerline adaptors are notoriously generous with their marketing 'Mbps' throughput - you may find that you are actually only getting 10's of Mbps - fine for browsing, but not for 4K streams ..

otarie

Thank you for your answer. :) I should have mentioned that I'm using native paths in the 'emby for kodi' addon. So as I understood, it should not send the file to emby for processing but play it directly. It also says 'direct play' in the emby dashboard. I want kodi to play the files directly from the attached hard drive and emby just needs access for the metadata and images. So emby should provide the shield with a path that links to the hard drive attached to it. i just don't know what that path needs to be. I tried copying the path from the file manager (/storage/cryptic_number/NVIDIA_SHIELD...) into the 'shared network folder' option and emby was sending that path to the shield but when i clicked play it just went back to the library view.

The hard drive was connected to the NAS before but every time the NAS powers down, it corrupts the data on the external drive. So i put it on the shield. I also thought that it would play my 4k remuxes smoother like that.

And yes, the poweline adapter suck but unfortunately I don't have another option right now. From my point of view it should be a problem though because I'm using the native paths. I attached a little sketch from my network.
C32wXhM.jpg

• Solution
TeamB

Check the Kodi log to make sure when you play an item it is using the correct direct smb playback path.

With direct playback it should play the file from the share on your shield.

If you are trying to use path replacement on the server to get the shield to play the file directly from the attached hard drive bypassing the smh share then that should be possible but you will need to find the correct path replacement details to enter into the emby library setup.

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 1

otarie

Thank you for your help. I used the file manager to play the directly from the attached usb drive and had a look in the log-file. Turns out I was on the right track with /storage/cryptic_number/NVIDIA_SHIELD... and probably just had a typo in the cryptic number. Thanks to everyone. Now it works fine again :) Emby sends the right path to kodi and i dont have this weird video blocking anymore.