Issues With Fast Forward on new Apple TV ver.1.4.5.22

UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Hello,

After the new update, the skip ahead 10 seconds feature is very laggy (non-useable) and the fast forward is slow.

I noticed the behaviors this morning and restarted the Apple TV which usually corrects these problems but they remained.

I also rebooted the server and restarted the Apple TV but still no change.

The Apple TV is the 4K version and we record TV over the air using Emby and an HD Homerun.

I placed the logs in the following location.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnfmLnbQksWOhysE7PwqLMPXo24y?e=zcnEcv

Let me know if there are any steps I can take to fix the issues with skipping ahead 10 seconds or fast forward.

Thanks.

corey

Hi @@UnderMiner ---

With the new version of the app the default player is the Apple player now. This likely means content is being transcoded for playback and it doesn't surprise me if it's a bit laggy to fast forward depending on your setup. You may want to give the MPV player a try (Settings -> Playback Settings -> Enable MPV) if you're good with the restrictions it imposes (no frame rate matching, HDR, etc).

@@Luke might have some other thoughts as well.

UnderMiner

Hello Corey,

I changed the setting to MPV, restarted the app and now it is much more responsive.

Thanks for the tip !

There is hardware transcoding on the HD Homerun and the native file container is .ts.

We record and watch the local news daily. Generally we do not watch not live but later in the day and skipping commercials and some stories is a very big time saver.

From what you noted, the playback quality may suffer but we could reboot the app for other content (such as a movie). I could test this later.

I will add an updated log with the new player for reference.

sfatula

Hello Corey,

I changed the setting to MPV, restarted the app and now it is much more responsive.

Thanks for the tip !

There is hardware transcoding on the HD Homerun and the native file container is .ts.

We record and watch the local news daily. Generally we do not watch not live but later in the day and skipping commercials and some stories is a very big time saver.

From what you noted, the playback quality may suffer but we could reboot the app for other content (such as a movie). I could test this later.

I will add an updated log with the new player for reference.

If you have any 1080i channels, they won't likely look very good with mpv. 

gene0915

Was coming here to see if anyone else noticed the slowdown with the new ATV version. It just doesn't seem as snappy as the last version. For me, scrubbing/skipping forward 10 seconds at a time is noticeably slower with MPV -enabled-. I had to disable it to get back to normal'ish speed but it's still not as fast as before.

I think I just need to get a Roku Ultra. Plex gives me weird problems on the ATV too so maybe it's just a crappy/difficult platform to write apps for?

gene0915

We'd have to go over an example. Thanks.

Attaching some log files:

embyserver.txt

atv 1 mpv disabled ff works good big trouble in little china-ffmpeg-remux-7912460a-aacd-4265-8611-45af85dddab0_1.txt

atv 2 mpv enabled ff works good adventures of ford fairlane-ffmpeg-remux-be067090-4b83-4b76-844b-b977fdfa3e09_1.txt

atv 3 mpv enabled ff is slow big trouble in little china-ffmpeg-remux-c91bc965-e4ba-49d4-a309-2e8a2f02f6ea_1.txt

So for some weird reason, when MPV is enabled for Ford Fairlane, fast forwarding is nice and quick. When MPV is enabled when playing back Big Trouble..... kinda slow. Guess the codec for audio/video play a role in the slowdowns when MPV is enabled?

Something else I've noticed. With the old version of the app, every, single movie I played would launch instantly. This latest version.... movies seem to take a second or 3 to start playing..... like on Plex.

That lightning quick starting with the old client has me spoiled and I miss it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Hello Luke,

Yes I am using version 4.4.3. The system automatically updated and I believe that the issue may have occurred at around the same time. I could not find the date that the system was updated in order to confirm but I did notice the update when I logged in to the Emby configuration around the same time. This may not be an accurate symptom because soon after, Emby for Apple TV was also updated.

• 2 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Hello,

For my original post, the "laggy" skip ahead the symptoms are the same on Emby version 1.4.5.24 and the workaround for my situation (playing recorded HD Homerun programs) is to use the MPV player and not the native Apple TV software for playback. When using MPV, the skip ahead feature works quickly as expected.

I have two issues with Apple TV at the moment. One is discussed in this thread where we cannot skip ahead while recording.

The other is that fast forward and rewind simply don't respond and the only fix is to restart the Apple TV. Simply restarting the Emby app does not correct the issue. Note that this seems to always occur when the Apple TV "goes to sleep" and we return to use the TV later or the next day.

Let me know if you need any additional details.