Invalid Password, Reset not working

KemikalElite

KemikalElite

Hello again,

I'm having two separate issues with Emby right now.

I'll preface this by noting that I've just migrated to running on openmediavault and getting everything to work on my server's specific hardware was very stressful. At this point with Emby not working and everything being fine before, I'm considering just rolling back to Windows 10 and leaving my system that way, as much as I don't want to.

First issue: Out of nowhere, Emby just logged me out on all devices and when I try to log in again, it says invalid password. I know the password is typed correctly. I just logged in to my TV maybe not even 5 minutes before this happened.

When I try to reset the password, I enter the username on the reset page. When I click submit nothing happens.

Second issue: When trying to playback a specific movie on any device, the server's CPU hits 100%. (old Xeon transcoding at 3 fps) Looking under stats, it says the reason for transcoding is the subtitles aren't supported. They should be supported, doesnt the web browser app work with all formats? I don't understand why that would need transcoding. What is the technical explanation for this? Aren't most subtitles just a text file that plays on top of the video? Is there a way to get subtitles working without transcoding?

Edit: On my TV the movie plays with subtitles disabled, but my Windows desktop Nevermind, I just learned that Firefox doesn't plan to support H265 HEVC (why?). I guess I'll download Emby theater :)

Also I don't have an Emby Premier subscription so I don't know why it would even try to transcode. My server can't handle transcoding 4K? Is there a way to just turn transcoding off and give an error message instead?

Edit: Wrong section, intended to post this in Linux server.

Edited by KemikalElite

rechigo

Since you're having trouble resetting the password, you should attach a server log from the time when you were trying to reset it.

Yes, subtitles can be text-based, but not all of them are. There are image based subtitles as well, such as PGSSUB, VOBSUB/DVDSUB, SUP, etc. which have little to no support in browsers. These formats are extremely common within DVDs and BluRays, so if your media is sourced from physical disks, chances are they're going to be image-based.

The reason firefox doesn't want (or plan) to support HEVC is likely because they would have to pay a royalty fee for it, which would end up costing them more money thna it's worth

If you want a browser that supports HEVC, you could either go with a custom chromium build bundled with more codec support, or you can try microsoft edge which also supports HEVC, but it requires that your GPU has hardware decoding capabilities for HEVC. (I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe you need the HEVC extension from the Microsoft store, which costs 99c, or you can just google how to get it for free) 

Emby can still transcode without a premiere subscription, but you're limited to software transcoding, no hardware transcoding support

You can disable video transcoding specifically under the settings for a specific user seen here:

qta.png

doesnt the web browser app work with all formats?

Hi, no it doesn't. Web browsers have very limited media format support. For more robust format support without transcoding, you may want to check out our Android or iOS apps, or Emby Theater for Windows which you can download from our website.

Regarding the password reset, what version of Emby Server are you running?

KemikalElite

System info and Emby Server version:

Host: S5000PSL 1.0.0
Kernel: 5.5.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
Uptime: 2 days, 21 hours, 55 mins
Packages: 535 (dpkg)
Shell: bash 5.0.3
Terminal: /dev/pts/0
CPU: Intel Xeon L5410 (4) @ 2.331GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Memory: 1600MiB / 3933MiB
OpenMediaVault: 5.4.7-1
Docker: 5:19.03.9~3-0~debian-buster
Emby: 4.4.2.0

Emby is running in a docker container. Firefox Desktop on the client is set to clear cookies on exit. Although I get the invalid error on all my devices, not just the desktop.

I thought I had this issue resolved by just clearing the config folder and resetting Emby, but the issue happened again today on a clean setup.

I click reset password and nothing happens. The resetpassword.txt file is blank.

Also loading the Emby app is extremely slow on the Amazon Fire 7 tablet. Not sure if its an issue or the Fire 7 is just junk.

Edited by KemikalElite

KemikalElite

Regarding the password reset, what version of Emby Server are you running?

Version 4.4.2.0 on Debian/openmediavault in a docker container

After deleting the config directory again, Today I noticed that the issue happened first on the Fire 7 tablet, but I was still signed into Firefox Desktop. I then tried resetting the password while I was still logged in and it didn't seem to help. I tried signing into the LG TV and it worked, but then I returned to my desktop and now that is locked out with invalid password as well.

Today's log from the relevant time is attached.

Edited by KemikalElite

KemikalElite

Emby stops playback randomly. Every different movie will have a different time at which it stops playing, but for each specific movie it stops at the same time every time.

On a LG webos TV playback stops and I can't navigate any of the menus until the server is restarted.

This also happens on a Sony TV and a Vizio TV both through Chromecast.

On Chromecast the screen just goes back to the ready to cast screen.

Sometimes my tablet will show invalid password messages in the app after the playback crashes.

Restarting Emby server fixes the problems until it crashes again.

The example in the logs stops after less than 2 minutes and it stops at the same point every time for this specific movie. Other movies typically stop after about an hour. Its never been able to complete a full movie.

I used Emby server on Windows for a month before moving to openmediavault and I never had any issues with running on Windows. Initially, in my last thread, I thought this was caused by issues with my router but I was wrong about that.

Emby is version 4.4.2.0 running in docker.

Host: S5000PSL 1.0.0
Kernel: 5.5.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
Uptime: 2 days, 21 hours, 55 mins
Packages: 535 (dpkg)
Shell: bash 5.0.3
Terminal: /dev/pts/0
CPU: Intel Xeon L5410 (4) @ 2.331GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Memory: 1600MiB / 3933MiB (This is now 12 GB)
OpenMediaVault: 5.4.7-1
Docker: 5:19.03.9~3-0~debian-buster
Emby: 4.4.2.0

Edited by KemikalElite

KemikalElite

@@KemikalElite are you still running into this?

@@cayars can jump on and help you resolve this. Thanks.

@@KemikalElite, send me a PM if you want some one on one help via TeamViewer with this.

Carlo

I just discovered that this is something specific to docker. Now my issue isn't as much with the invalid password but movies always stop playing at specific times. If I run Emby directly on Debian it works fine.

Is there anything that could possibly be wrong with my docker setup that would cause this?

Other thread here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86629-emby-stops-playback-during-movie/

Edited by KemikalElite

Before diving into log files.  What is the source file?  What codec and bitrate?

When you play the files how are they played looking at the Emby Server log?

Are they direct played, transcoded or remuxed?

Most (90%+) of problems are with the source files.

KemikalElite

I thought the issue was that you couldn't reset your password?

No, the issue is every movie has a certain point at which it stops playing and then it usually logs me out and the only thing that happens when trying to log in again is an invalid password message, and trying to reset the password does nothing.

Movies no longer stop playing as long as I'm not using unionfs and just using the normal directory, but if I stop a movie and try to open it again it gives the invalid password error.

Every time this happens I need to restart the docker container to get it working again and this only happens in docker but not directly in Debian.

KemikalElite

Before diving into log files.  What is the source file?  What codec and bitrate?

When you play the files how are they played looking at the Emby Server log?

Are they direct played, transcoded or remuxed?

Most (90%+) of problems are with the source files.

I figured out they stopping because I was using a unionfs directory with docker.

With it no longer using unionfs and just having the regular directories set in docker, the movies play normally.

Now I'm still having an issue where if I'm playing a movie, stop it, then try to resume it later, it says there are no available streams and if I try to log out and log back in again Emby tells me the password is invalid.

Every time this happens I need to restart the docker container. This only happens with docker, Emby works fine directly on Debian but I'd rather have the docker setup if its possible.

Duplicate thread here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/86476-invalid-password-reset-not-working/

KemikalElite

Sounds like a docker issue.

I figured out what's causing the issue.

Emby config directory in unionfs = not working at all

Emby config directory as a bind on my first drive = Causes this issue

Emby config directory as a volume in docker = Works pefectly

Why doesn't the config directory work with a bind in docker? I'd much rather have it setup on my first data drive than in a docker volume on my system drive. If my linux partition breaks at least I'd still have my Emby setup.

Edited by KemikalElite
  • Like 1

KemikalElite

What type of bind is it?

Its just a bind for the config directory to the host. As in I've tried:

/config in /srv/<guid of unionfs mount>/Emby (unionfs of three data drives)

/config in /srv/unionfs/Emby (this is a symlink to the path above)

/config in /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data1/Emby (path directly to the first drive without unionfs)

Emby will only work properly if I use a volume for the config directory. I can however use a unionfs bind for my media directory perfectly fine.

I've read somewhere that you can't use a unionfs/mergerfs directory for config but I can't even get a regular bind to work.

Binds (even with unionfs) work fine on my other docker containers.

Unionfs is a well known trouble point for many systems since it doesn't implement a "true" file system as an OS would expect.

KemikalElite

Unionfs is a well known trouble point for many systems since it doesn't implement a "true" file system as an OS would expect.

Sure, but at a minimum /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data1/Emby should work.

KemikalElite

Update: Emby still doesn't work even with the path set to a volume. I made it 12 minutes into another movie and it stopped again. I'm going to switch to running directly on Debian and report back if it still doesn't work.

Do you know how the drive is formatted and the sector size?  You didn't use FAT or something similar to that did you with file size restrictions?

KemikalElite

Do you know how the drive is formatted and the sector size?  You didn't use FAT or something similar to that did you with file size restrictions?

This time I actually figured out the cause. Emby is consuming 100% of its disk space because of the transcoding-temp folder. Basically it copied almost the entire contents of 4K blu ray to the folder where I was only giving it 1 GB.

Its been taking up all that space but disappearing by the time I check the disk usage.

Its not transcoding so I don't know why its there but maybe its either converting it to a different container format for compatibility with the TVs or generating timeline thumbnails or something. As long as it works now I don't care.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a 100 GB partition for Emby to make sure it always has enough space from now on.

• Like 1