• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KemikalElite OFFLINE  

KemikalElite

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:42 AM

EDIT: The invalid password error is actually caused by something wrong with the router not allowing the clients to connect to the emby server properly.

Hello again,

I'm having two separate issues with Emby right now.

I'll preface this by noting that I've just migrated to running on openmediavault and getting everything to work on my server's specific hardware was very stressful. At this point with Emby not working and everything being fine before, I'm considering just rolling back to Windows 10 and leaving my system that way, as much as I don't want to.

First issue: Out of nowhere, Emby just logged me out on all devices and when I try to log in again, it says invalid password. I know the password is typed correctly. I just logged in to my TV maybe not even 5 minutes before this happened.

When I try to reset the password, I enter the username on the reset page. When I click submit nothing happens.

Second issue: When trying to playback a specific movie on any device, the server's CPU hits 100%. (old Xeon transcoding at 3 fps) Looking under stats, it says the reason for transcoding is the subtitles aren't supported. They should be supported, doesnt the web browser app work with all formats? I don't understand why that would need transcoding. What is the technical explanation for this? Aren't most subtitles just a text file that plays on top of the video? Is there a way to get subtitles working without transcoding?

Edit: On my TV the movie plays with subtitles disabled, but my Windows desktop Nevermind, I just learned that Firefox doesn't plan to support H265 HEVC (why?). I guess I'll download Emby theater :)

Also I don't have an Emby Premier subscription so I don't know why it would even try to transcode. My server can't handle transcoding 4K? Is there a way to just turn transcoding off and give an error message instead?

Edit: Wrong section, intended to post this in Linux server.

Edited by KemikalElite, 23 May 2020 - 12:43 AM.

#2 rechigo ONLINE  

rechigo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 AM
  • LocationCALIFORNIA

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:56 AM

Since you're having trouble resetting the password, you should attach a server log from the time when you were trying to reset it.

Yes, subtitles can be text-based, but not all of them are. There are image based subtitles as well, such as PGSSUB, VOBSUB/DVDSUB, SUP, etc. which have little to no support in browsers. These formats are extremely common within DVDs and BluRays, so if your media is sourced from physical disks, chances are they're going to be image-based.

The reason firefox doesn't want (or plan) to support HEVC is likely because they would have to pay a royalty fee for it, which would end up costing them more money thna it's worth

If you want a browser that supports HEVC, you could either go with a custom chromium build bundled with more codec support, or you can try microsoft edge which also supports HEVC, but it requires that your GPU has hardware decoding capabilities for HEVC. (I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe you need the HEVC extension from the Microsoft store, which costs 99c, or you can just google how to get it for free) 

Emby can still transcode without a premiere subscription, but you're limited to software transcoding, no hardware transcoding support

You can disable video transcoding specifically under the settings for a specific user seen here:

qta.png

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156672 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:11 AM

doesnt the web browser app work with all formats?

Hi, no it doesn't. Web browsers have very limited media format support. For more robust format support without transcoding, you may want to check out our Android or iOS apps, or Emby Theater for Windows which you can download from our website.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156672 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:12 AM

Regarding the password reset, what version of Emby Server are you running?

#5 KemikalElite OFFLINE  

KemikalElite

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:28 AM

System info and Emby Server version:

Host: S5000PSL 1.0.0
Kernel: 5.5.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
Uptime: 2 days, 21 hours, 55 mins
Packages: 535 (dpkg)
Shell: bash 5.0.3
Terminal: /dev/pts/0
CPU: Intel Xeon L5410 (4) @ 2.331GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Memory: 1600MiB / 3933MiB
OpenMediaVault: 5.4.7-1
Docker: 5:19.03.9~3-0~debian-buster
Emby: 4.4.2.0

Emby is running in a docker container. Firefox Desktop on the client is set to clear cookies on exit. Although I get the invalid error on all my devices, not just the desktop.

I thought I had this issue resolved by just clearing the config folder and resetting Emby, but the issue happened again today on a clean setup.

I click reset password and nothing happens. The resetpassword.txt file is blank.

Also loading the Emby app is extremely slow on the Amazon Fire 7 tablet. Not sure if its an issue or the Fire 7 is just junk.

Edited by KemikalElite, 23 May 2020 - 12:41 AM.

#6 KemikalElite OFFLINE  

KemikalElite

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

Regarding the password reset, what version of Emby Server are you running?

Version 4.4.2.0 on Debian/openmediavault in a docker container

After deleting the config directory again, Today I noticed that the issue happened first on the Fire 7 tablet, but I was still signed into Firefox Desktop. I then tried resetting the password while I was still logged in and it didn't seem to help. I tried signing into the LG TV and it worked, but then I returned to my desktop and now that is locked out with invalid password as well.

Today's log from the relevant time is attached.

Edited by KemikalElite, 21 May 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156672 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:38 PM

@KemikalElite are you still running into this?

@cayars can jump on and help you resolve this. Thanks.

#8 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 3347 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:57 PM

@KemikalElite, send me a PM if you want some one on one help via TeamViewer with this.

Carlo

#9 KemikalElite OFFLINE  

KemikalElite

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted Today, 12:25 AM

@KemikalElite are you still running into this?

@cayars can jump on and help you resolve this. Thanks.

@KemikalElite, send me a PM if you want some one on one help via TeamViewer with this.

Carlo

I just discovered that this is something specific to docker. Now my issue isn't as much with the invalid password but movies always stop playing at specific times. If I run Emby directly on Debian it works fine.

Is there anything that could possibly be wrong with my docker setup that would cause this?

Other thread here: https://emby.media/c...k-during-movie/

Edited by KemikalElite, Today, 12:27 AM.

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156672 posts

Posted Today, 12:57 AM

I thought the issue was that you couldn't reset your password?

#11 KemikalElite OFFLINE  

KemikalElite

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted Today, 01:24 AM

I thought the issue was that you couldn't reset your password?

No, the issue is every movie has a certain point at which it stops playing and then it usually logs me out and the only thing that happens when trying to log in again is an invalid password message, and trying to reset the password does nothing.

Movies no longer stop playing as long as I'm not using unionfs and just using the normal directory, but if I stop a movie and try to open it again it gives the invalid password error.

Every time this happens I need to restart the docker container to get it working again and this only happens in docker but not directly in Debian.

#12 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 3347 posts

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

Sounds like a docker issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users