Shield TV Emby Home Screen Channel Not Updading

Tester
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Tester

Recently my Shield TV Emby Home Screen stopped updating and is stuck in the same 2 shows.

Not to be confused with Play Next, I use the "Next Up TV" channel under the available Emby Channels ( Live TV, Next Up TV, Suggested For ).

I am not sure if I changed anything that would cause this function to stop.

5ec45dea5dde6_AndroidTVHome_20200519_171

5ec45e02333c2_AndroidTVHome_20200519_171

Hi there, can you please go over an example of what isn't updating? Thanks.

Tester

Hey Luke.. yes, the strip is not being updated with new shows.  In the 1st screenshot it is only showing 2 older unwatched shows and nothing new, also it seems to be stuck on just those two or just two shows.

Tester

Below is my latest media all of which are not showing any longer expect the last 2 highlighted shows.

This now for a while seems to be static and not dynamic like it used to be.  Having said that, even when it was dynamic it did not update in real time ( when a new show is added to Emby ) but I accepted this since I figured Emby had to be opened first.

Regardless, my main issue now is that it is stuck on these 2 shows.

5ec53ae8dae57_Untitled.jpg

Hi.  Latest Media and Next Up are two completely different things.  What shows in the Next Up section on the app home screen?

Tester

Let me say this yet again, thank you both EBR & Luke for not only the support but the quick responses.

Yes, Latest & Next are two different things but I have always used Latest ( Next Up TV ) because Next Up never worked quite right for me.  I did just enable it again for you to see below.

For some reason Next Up is picking up old shows that are no longer in my library instead of new shows.  If I click on these then Emby opens but is completely blank without any options.

I do not recognize some of these but I think these are old shows that I manually delete ( they sit on a server and sometimes I remotely clean up folders ).  These have however been watched.

The screenshots below are taken as I scroll to the right.  I kept the Latest Media as a channel as a reference between them.

5ec557096a5a0_1.png

5ec5571873f61_2.png

5ec55728c875a_3.png

Hi.  That channel is for "Next Up" not Latest.  If you add Next Up to your Emby home screen setup, you should see the exact same thing as what you see there.

If you delete content after you watch it, then that would be why Next Up doesn't work well for you - because it requires previously watched episodes to function.

Tester

Confused, but let me ask differently then.

Can I add an Emby Channel which includes unwatched shows and or movies ?  If so, which option ?

Tester

Suggested & Next Up TV enabled

5ec59ef52cb25_4.png

Suggested shows all existing unwatched Movies, nothing else

5ec59f02c46b2_5.png

Suggested Enabled & Next Up TV disabled.  Now Suggested shows both unwatched Movies and Show but the shows are the same old two unwatched shows and nothing new.  Close to what I would like to see but would like all shows to be shown.

5ec59f79db188_6.png

Edited by Tester

Tester

Do you delete all your episodes after watching them?

Yes, often.. not always right after I watch them.  Sometimes I do it through the Emby menu but more often than not I remotly clean up the folders ( delete watched eps ).. But I only do this after the show has been watched.

Should I reset my library ?  If so, how do I do that ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "reset" but, if you delete your content after watching, that is going to make our Next Up feature not work well for you.  It appears you don't even have Next Up configured to show on your Emby home page (probably for this reason) but you did turn it on for the device home.

Tester

No problem on the delete, I can let shows sit for a couple of week.

Yes agreed, I did not set anything up expect enable on the Shiled TV, clearly I missed this step.

Quick guidance on how to do so ?

Tester

Do you mean this setting ?  I was not able to find anything on the server side.  Sorry guys, I have not kept up much latest with releases/features.

5ec6b6fddef20_Untitled.jpg

Yes, but that is just going to put on your app home page the exact same line you are complaining about on the device page :).

Tester

So why did it work before and no longer working ?  I have not updated anything so obviously I must have done something or something changed in the OS.

Does not help that I was probably doing it incorrectly in the first place so let me just ask this then -> is there a way to add a channel to the main Android TV menu that includes new and or unwatched media ?  If so, how ?

That is what the "Suggested..." channel does but it just shows a random subset.

• 2 weeks later...
Tester

It is too bad "Next Up TV" is not working like it used to since it was fairly close to what I wanted.  Having said that, I have noticed "Suggested" getting better the last few days so we will use this going forward.

I will also refrain from remotely deleting media and will do it from within Emby instead.

Last related question, it seems remotely deleting media could be causing a problem, could empty shows also be causing a problem ?  For instance, when a season is over I usually remotely delete the season and create the next season folder but will not populate till a later time.  Could these empty seasons be causing a problem ?  If so, I can also refrain from doing this.

Edited by Tester

I'm not aware of any changes to our Next Up logic in quite a while but this is completely handled by the server (the app just displays what it is given).  Deleting your items after watching is going to make Next Up not work as intended but this is nothing new.

Tester

I'm not aware of any changes to our Next Up logic in quite a while but this is completely handled by the server (the app just displays what it is given).  Deleting your items after watching is going to make Next Up not work as intended but this is nothing new.

I assume this applies to empty season folders also ?

• Solution

An empty season folder really shouldn't have any impact except as it relates to watched content.  The key is, for our next up to work properly, there has to be already watched content for the series.

• Like 1