Emby Settings Wiped Out after Reboot

sundevil67

sundevil67

I haven't the slightest clue what could have caused this, but after restarting my Mac last night, I was presented with a 'Quick Start' screen that asked me to choose a language for Emby & essentially start configuring the application from scratch. All of my libraries, plugins, and settings have completely vanished. I have my HD regularly backed up with Time Machine, so I am hoping there is a way to revert & restore, but I'm not sure where to begin. I'm hoping to figure out the cause before I get started so I can be sure to avoid whatever it was that contributed to this outcome, but the most important thing is restoring the account without having to manually set everything up again.

Any guidance appreciated.

Hi there, I'll see if i can find other topics but one or two other people have reported this with Catalina. Is that what you're on?

sundevil67

Is there a file or group of files I could restore to a previous version to undo this?

sundevil67

This is really brutal to life without Emby for days ... should I start rebuilding all of my libraries and plugins ? Ironically I did have one plugin installed that was supposed back this stuff up so it’s gotta be somewhere - can you point me to the library files that contain all of the preferences ?

The top of the server log lists the program data path. I would check the contents of that path after rebooting. Is something clearing it out?

sundevil67

Unfortunately it looks like my installation hasn't emerged unscathed. I'm noticing choppy playback on several videos, all .mkv files likely choking on the transcoding part from what I can tell. Those videos are now unwatchable, while the .mp4s I've tested seem fine. I'm not sure how the recent events could have caused this, but it definitely wasn't an issue before. 

I'm sending you my server log via private message - I hope that's OK. 

Thank you.

It just happened again with a particular episode of South Park - getting really annoying for sure; I have a whole lot of .mkv files in my library that worked fine before this.

Your server can't transcode this file fast enough to be playable.

If you can increase the in-app quality setting in the LG app, this file may direct play without transcoding.

sundevil67

That's hard to accept just because it was able to manage just fine before the settings got wiped out & restored...I'm afraid I have no idea what the LG app is - can you point to any more info on that?

That's hard to accept just because it was able to manage just fine before the settings got wiped out & restored...I'm afraid I have no idea what the LG app is - can you point to any more info on that?

Well the transcoding log you provided is from playing a video using our LG app installed on your LG smart TV. Does that answer your question?

sundevil67

The problem occurs whether I am watching through a web browser like Firefox or through my Amazon Fire TV (It's a Toshiba, but I'm sure what you saw means it uses the same mechanism as LG models). That tells me the issue has to be with the Mac OS server installation, as does the timing. There's no question this is related to the recent issue that prompted the OP... the only important next question is whether or not it is worth attempting a fresh installation, rebuilding all of my libraries & setting in an effort to get back to where I was before the problem occurred. I'd prefer to avoid that, but if it's all that's left, maybe there's some other way to tell whether or not this will help?

I vaguely recall manually installing FFMPEG transcoding tools, but not much more than that. My best guess is that much like how it "forgot" the location of my library files, it somehow did the same for the location of that helper application, and if I can somehow reestablish that link or reinstall just that helper application, it might do the trick. Any ideas on that front?

Thank you.

sundevil67

Is this the suggestion you're referring to?

"If you can increase the in-app quality setting in the LG app, this file may direct play without transcoding." ?

I have tried to adjust the quality in the web app, though I usually keep it on 'auto'. This would be at the bottom-right of the video playback screen, right? I'm not sure exactly which setting we're talking about if that's not it though.