Photo

Issue with exit using "home" and restart of server.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 PM
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:25 PM

In the Beta server section I have posted a problem with progress not saving correctly on server restart but it occurred to me it could be related to how Roku saves progress on exit:

Server update resets partially played show to start:

https://emby.media/c...-show-to-start/

I think there is something wrong in the way Roku saves progress with the "home" key. The problem could be in either the Roku software or the server.

The latest test results are in my second post in that thread.

#2 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51885 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

I think there is something wrong in the way Roku saves progress with the "home" key. The problem could be in either the Roku software or the server.

The latest test results are in my second post in that thread.

It is impossible for the Roku app to save anything if you press the "home" key.  Basically, the plug is just pulled on our app.  So, whatever the previous progress was is what it will end up being.

#3 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:19 AM

It is impossible for the Roku app to save anything if you press the "home" key.  Basically, the plug is just pulled on our app.  So, whatever the previous progress was is what it will end up being.

Then explain why I can press home even while a show is playing and reenter Emby and resume playing exactly where I left off? This works 100% of the time so it seems progress is being saved somehow. Also I use home to exit after using back to exit the playback and I still have the same issue on server restart.

#4 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51885 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

Then explain why I can press home even while a show is playing and reenter Emby and resume playing exactly where I left off? 

It should be within 10 seconds because progress is reported during playback, not just at stop.

#5 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:34 AM

It should be within 10 seconds because progress is reported during playback, not just at stop.

Then upon exit of a show, even by directly pressing home, that has played for 10 minutes followed by a server restart when I reenter Emby I should be able to restart within 10 seconds of where I was. That is not what is happening. After the server restart a show restart is at the beginning of the show.

One other potentially related issue is that sometimes I can completely watch a show (At least to where the credits are playing) and exit with back and then start the next show in my "Next up" and I will find that the show just completed is placed in my "Continue watching" and marked as watched but the progress set to something around the middle of the show.

To remove it from continue watching I simply mark it unplayed and then played again but until I do that it remains marked as watched but showing as only partially played.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48, 20 May 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#6 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 51885 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:46 AM

You don't have Trakt installed, right?

#7 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

You don't have Trakt installed, right?

Nope. I do have Trakt installed. I use it to keep my servers in sync.

#8 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

Would disabling Trakt's scheduled tasks or making a longer interval make a difference?

Or is there a setting within Trakt that could be changed?

I kind of need Trakt as it keeps my servers in sync and I want multiple servers because in serves my OCD and I am a little paranoid about being able to use Emby uninterrupted if a server should fail.

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156686 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:49 PM

You could try removing trakt just for testing purposes to see how that might impact this.

#10 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:26 PM

You could try removing trakt just for testing purposes to see how that might impact this.

After thinking about this I decided to try something a little less invasive.

On my two backup servers I changed the update interval to only once per day at 03:00 as I can fix the little differences if needed.

Also I changed the interval to twice a day for my main server at 22:00 and 09:00.

I figure that somehow the updates were getting out of sync and part of the "play" info was getting scrambled.

Until you mentioned it I did not thikk of Trakt but the update interval was 15 minutes for all it is possible that was scrambling continue watching.

I will run like this for a while and see what happens.

I figure that in the event of a failure of my primary server the two backups will only be a little out of sync and I can easily fix that if needed.

I am sorry that I cannot test as you suggested but I am too paranoid about a computer failure ruining my day. I will test the drastic situation of completely removing Trakt if it turns out to be needed.

BTW: I only use the TV show side of Trakt but that is where the problem is so that bit of info is of limited use.

It is the old case of: "I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users