Multiple Movie Libraries VS One Movie Library

Bambu Utila

Bambu Utila

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any benefits of making multiple movie libraries, compared to just having all your movies in one.

At the moment i have one library and it just has multiple folders, for instance, Action, Comedy, Animated,...

Is there a benefit to putting them all in separate movie libraries or not?

I use Kodi as a front end. 

legallink

There is less now than there used to be, but if you want studs essentially pre-filtered then that’s effective. For me, I just have one, but I’ve thought of having a kids library and everything else. I have a separate kids tv library and that’s been helpful.

Bambu Utila

Thanks for your reply.

I'll just stick to the one library then since nobody can come up with a good reason to have multiple movie libraries

Gilgamesh_48

Thanks for your reply.

I'll just stick to the one library then since nobody can come up with a good reason to have multiple movie libraries

I cannot think of a good reason for multiple libraries either. If you want to further sub-divide your movies, which I often do, collections work quite well and it is easy for a movie to appear in more than one collection if needed while it is not so easy for one movie to appear in more than one library.

I do wish collections could be tagged where some have contents that are visible while browsing while others only show the collection itself.

But what we have works pretty well. Collections plus judicious use of the sort title plus using genre grouping and I can pretty much see every sub-grouping of movies I need to.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I separate out kids and 3D movies for fairly obvious reasons but apart from that all in one library

BAlGaInTl

I have everything in one library.

I have a couple of custom tags for other stuff that I want to block from some.

Tags could probably be used in multiple ways to separate content.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

Gilgamesh_48

I have everything in one library.

I have a couple of custom tags for other stuff that I want to block from some.

Tags could probably be used in multiple ways to separate content.

I have thought that tags were the way to handle large libraries and have ways to created custom groups without the need to use collections. Collections have their use but their usefulness ends when you need to have one collection that only needs to show the collection when browsing and another where yo want to see the contents and the collection when browsing.

EX> All Clint Eastwood movies.

I would like to have such a collection but I would like the one time movies like "In the Line of Fire" to show in normal browsing while I would like to see only the collections for "Dirty Harry" or "The Man With No Name" movies but I would also like to see the "Eastwood" collection when browsing.

The problem with that is that having collection shown or not shown is a function of the entire library chosen by the client. My belief is that each collection should have a choice about the display of the contents and "collection" should always be shown when browsing. That is when browsing my Library I should see "Eastwood" as a collection and "In the Line of Fire" as a movie.

That begins quickly to get real complicated real quickly but "tags" might make it easier to get the same effect.

The real problem becomes that it seems to be impossible to tag multiple movies at the same time and it is VERY tedious to tag large libraries one movie at a time.

Fortunately I do not "NEED" tags much but I "want" to be able to tag movies in large or small groups. It would just make things easier for me.

• Like 1

Bambu Utila

I have thought that tags were the way to handle large libraries and have ways to created custom groups without the need to use collections. Collections have their use but their usefulness ends when you need to have one collection that only needs to show the collection when browsing and another where yo want to see the contents and the collection when browsing.

EX> All Clint Eastwood movies.

I would like to have such a collection but I would like the one time movies like "In the Line of Fire" to show in normal browsing while I would like to see only the collections for "Dirty Harry" or "The Man With No Name" movies but I would also like to see the "Eastwood" collection when browsing.

The problem with that is that having collection shown or not shown is a function of the entire library chosen by the client. My belief is that each collection should have a choice about the display of the contents and "collection" should always be shown when browsing. That is when browsing my Library I should see "Eastwood" as a collection and "In the Line of Fire" as a movie.

That begins quickly to get real complicated real quickly but "tags" might make it easier to get the same effect.

The real problem becomes that it seems to be impossible to tag multiple movies at the same time and it is VERY tedious to tag large libraries one movie at a time.

Fortunately I do not "NEED" tags much but I "want" to be able to tag movies in large or small groups. It would just make things easier for me.

Could you not get around your Clint Eastwood "problem" by using a combination of folders and playlists?

I use Kodi as a front end, and because it's hard to tag multiple movies in Emby as you mentioned. I just put all my Marvel Movies in one folder. I get everything i need by using a playlist pointing to that folder.

Gilgamesh_48

Could you not get around your Clint Eastwood "problem" by using a combination of folders and playlists?

I use Kodi as a front end, and because it's hard to tag multiple movies in Emby as you mentioned. I just put all my Marvel Movies in one folder. I get everything i need by using a playlist pointing to that folder.

Of course that would work, sort of. I do not use "playlists" because it would make browsing the way I like quite difficult. What I like to do is enter my library, usually with no real idea what I want to watch, and browse around for a while and maybe look inside collections or maybe not and after narrowing down my selections a make a choice and watch that movie.

When I wish to watch a movie I often do not have any idea which movie or even which genera I want to watch and I was just thinking that maybe tags would help. Collections would also help if the could be their contents either visible or invisible in regular browsing.

I have over 3500 movies and currently about 200 collections and I am always looking for new ways to browse to find something I want to watch now.

BTW: I use Roku or Shield TV or Fire TV to watch. I have tried to install Kodi on my Shield but it just did not work the way I wanted and In one case I had to factory reset my Shield because Kodi got it so messed up.

• Like 1

Bambu Utila

Of course that would work, sort of. I do not use "playlists" because it would make browsing the way I like quite difficult. What I like to do is enter my library, usually with no real idea what I want to watch, and browse around for a while and maybe look inside collections or maybe not and after narrowing down my selections a make a choice and watch that movie.

When I wish to watch a movie I often do not have any idea which movie or even which genera I want to watch and I was just thinking that maybe tags would help. Collections would also help if the could be their contents either visible or invisible in regular browsing.

I have over 3500 movies and currently about 200 collections and I am always looking for new ways to browse to find something I want to watch now.

BTW: I use Roku or Shield TV or Fire TV to watch. I have tried to install Kodi on my Shield but it just did not work the way I wanted and In one case I had to factory reset my Shield because Kodi got it so messed up.

It's so interesting to read how everybody uses/sorts their media libraries in different ways.

I messed around with Kodi and a MySQL DB for a while but that gave me nothing but problems. Then i stumbled upon Emby and that changed everything for me. I use Emby now to maintain my media library, but still use Kodi as a client on all my devices. I just like the options you have for making it look exactly how i want. Since i moved to the Emby/Kodi combo, my Kodi instances have been much more reliable.

I run my Emby server on an Intel Nuc i3 and have Kodi on that same pc and on another laptop and a Shield tv. They all look the same and stay in sync.

All that runs now without any issues. I even started running a hass.io server on the Nuc in a Hyper-V virtual machine and it all works flawless