Mi Box S worth it?

lightsout

lightsout

So I just subbed to YouTubeTV the other day and it is kind of laggy on my Roku TV, liked it better on the Shield in the living room. So I was looking for something to put in the bedroom, will be mostly used for emby, YTTV, some Netflix and Prime thats about it. 

Just need stereo out to the TV no AVR involved. Should I be looking at something else in this price range? $60ish

neik

I have one in daily use with Emby and YouTube and it works flawlessly for me.

Speed is good, UI is responsive.

Spaceboy

Ive got one and I think they’re a great little device if you don’t want to shell out for a shield. Or more likely atm find one in stock.

Edited by Spaceboy

Sammy

So I just subbed to YouTubeTV the other day and it is kind of laggy on my Roku TV, liked it better on the Shield in the living room. So I was looking for something to put in the bedroom, will be mostly used for emby, YTTV, some Netflix and Prime thats about it. 

Just need stereo out to the TV no AVR involved. Should I be looking at something else in this price range? $60ish

Less than $60

I just bought 5 from this same seller through Woot for $48. The first one I got was from a Wally World special for $36. Update the f/w for Amazon Prime now too. 

Sammy

I'll repeat my PM to you for public consumption:

I haven't noticed an issue with HDR even on the two 4k TV's I have. I wouldn't know what to even look for. Most of my TV's are quantity not quality as they are in bedrooms, the bar, on the back patio and in the garage. The Family Room is a 2013 Panasonic 60VT60 Plasma that is 1080p but from my viewing distance 4k won't make a difference. I'm just not going to drop a bucket of coin on a new TV until I have to because that will include replacing my 2013 Denon AVR2312ci and redoing speaker installation for atmos etc.

That said I'll see what gives on one of my el cheapo 4k TV's that say they do HDR.. what to look out for?

lightsout

Thanks everyone. I love my shield and was looking at the tube for this setup. But even it is triple the price of the mi box. Doesn't feel like the probe increase could be justified for a casual bedroom setup.

It will be here Thursday I'll report my findings.

lightsout

Do these things do HD Audio with Emby? Forgot to check when it was plugged to my AVR.

mastrmind11

Do these things do HD Audio with Emby? Forgot to check when it was plugged to my AVR.

at the very least 5.1 DTS since that's all I have tried.

No, I believe the Shield is still the only one supporting HD Audio.

lightsout

No, I believe the Shield is still the only one supporting HD Audio.

Thats what I thought thank you.

Sammy

That is why when I swapped out 6 ShieldTV's to MiBox s' I kept one ShieldTV at my main Family Room HT..

I'm very pleased with the performance of the MiBox s' on my secondary TV's which are fed audio to Sound Bars from the Audio Out on the TV either via Optical or RCA Digital Out. It is lossy at best anyhow so why pay a premium for the player?

lightsout

Been having a bit of struggles with mine today, I will chalk up the choppy video to wifi and hold off on testing that further until

I have an ethernet adapter. 

But I had a hard time getting it to bitstream DTS and Dolby. Sometimes when it was supposed to send DTS it would send DD, like it was transcoding. Kind of strange, also odd that on a 4k TV set to 4k in the android settings and the TV reporting that the Mi Box is sending 4K Emby says "display mode 1080p/60"

A couple pictures. This was with a Denon X3500 going into a TCL 6 series.

In one file you can see that the source is DTS but it is playing in DD, and in the other you can see that it is 4k media but says 1080p  mode up above.

post-4065-0-36674800-1590611619_thumb.jpg

post-4065-0-16609800-1590611634_thumb.jpg