Quick and Dirty Guide to XBMB3C on Openelec

vidkun

vidkun

Since I just did a clean install of an Openelec box with XBMB3C I figured I'd write a quick guide for new users interested in testing out XBMB3C and MBS. It's meant to be a no fluff, quick and dirty guide. Maybe I'll come back through and add pretty pictures for the illiterate later, but it's not a priority for me at the moment.

1. Install Openelec and boot into XBMC
  2. Download the XBMB3C Repo and upload it to the downloads directory of your Openelec box
  3. In XBMC go to Addons, Choose 'Install from ZIP file', browse to the repo zip you just uploaded to your downloads directory, install it
  4. Go to Addons, Choose get more add ons, select the XBMB3C repo you installed, go to Video Addons, Choose 'XBMB3C', choose 'Install'
  5. Go to Addons, Choose get more add ons, select the XBMB3C repo you installed, go to Skins, Choose a skin you like (I recommend Aeon Nox Gotham), choose 'Install'
  6. Go to Programs, then XBMB3C, Press 'C' and choose Addon Settings, enter in your MBS information and tweak the settings how you like or leave most defaults
  7. Go to System, Appearance, at the bottom change settings level to 'Advanced'
  8. Go to 'Mode' section of Appearance settings, enable Media Browser modes

Enjoy.

• Like 4

ripper

I followed this guide using the current release of XBMC in Windows and it worked great. Then I installed the current release of OpenElec (4.0.7), and the XBMB3C (1.0.2) add-on (as well as all the skins) show incompatible. Any idea if there is an updated XBMB3C add-on, or should I be using a previous version of OpenElec?

xnappo

Very odd.  @@im85288 - any ideas?  OpenElec 4.0.7 is Gotham - but there must be something in our repo config triggering this?

xnappo

vidkun

Are you grabbing the XBMB3C add-on from the repo linked in the OP? Or are you grabbing it from outside the repo and trying to install from zip?

im85288

Very odd.  @@im85288 - any ideas?  OpenElec 4.0.7 is Gotham - but there must be something in our repo config triggering this?

xnappo

No idea really, working fine here on OpenElec 4.0.7

The only way it should say incompatible is if it is on a Frodo version of XBMC...

ripper

Are you grabbing the XBMB3C add-on from the repo linked in the OP? Or are you grabbing it from outside the repo and trying to install from zip?

I got it from the link in the OP. Oddly enough, I installed 4.0.6 last night and it was doing the same thing. After I let it sit for about 15 minutes, letting it install and update packages, all of the XBMB3C add-ons no longer showed incompatible. Everything is working great now.

Haven't updated to 4.0.7 yet, but I assume there would be no issues.

Thanks, all. And sorry for the apparent false alarm.

• 2 months later...
salphonso

First off, thanks for this quick and dirty guide.  I was able to get XBMB3C on OpenELEC up and running.  I have 1 main problem though.  It will not play my media.  I have everything already transcoded into an mp4 format.  I can access my guide and live TV perfectly fine via Ethernet or WiFi but when I go to my movies and click to play one it sits for a minute and says working then just stops and never loads the movie.

All my media is stored on a Synology NAS and I even tried giving NFS permission via the NAS just to make sure but still no luck.  Before I tried OpenELEC I had Win 7 Pro on the device and XBMB3C loaded up through Windows.  I was able to access everything without any problems.  Any ideas on what could be causing this issue in Open ELEC?

salphonso

Did some more searching into the OpenELEC files and found in the Userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmb3c.  The setting.xml file had the <setting id="playFromStream" value="true" /> set to false.  Set this to True and it fixed the issue and its working perfect now.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Did some more searching into the OpenELEC files and found in the Userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmb3c.  The setting.xml file had the <setting id="playFromStream" value="true" /> set to false.  Set this to True and it fixed the issue and its working perfect now.

Thanks for this have been searching for ages to find this solution. Works great now thanks again!!

xnappo

Are you guys talking about the new addon or the old one?  This was in the old addon settings options all along..