Using NAS (WD My Cloud) as media server (no PC)

watters83

watters83

Hello All,

I am sure that this is a common question so apologies in advance I am a bit of a novice at the moment. I have just started using mediabrowser and I have to say I am very impressed. At the moment I am using my laptop as a server and using the Ipad app and Chromecast to watch my content on a TV.

The set up I want is a NAS drive such as the WD Mycloud to work as the server rather than my laptop so I can access all of my content on the ipad app without having to have my laptop switched on.

1. Is this possible

2. How does one go about setting it up

3. Is the WD MyCould the right bit of kit or should I be looking for something else?

Anyone's assistance on this would be greatly appreciated

Deathsquirrel

Nope, can't do that.  The server currently requires a PC on which to run.  There might be server versions for similar 'nas with a small os' devices in the future but none have yet been announced.  For now you must have a PC to run the server OS.

im85288

Hi, there is a thread here on requests for the MB3 server to be run on various NAS's http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7715-media-browser-for-nas/

Currently it is not available but down the line it may become available.

My advice would be to keep your NAS doing what it was designed to by only storing your media on it. The problem with most NAS's is they do not have the power needed to do things like transcoding (useful if you want to use your iPad out of your home network), so go for as much power as possible for your server. Depending on budget a Mac Mini makes a great server, very quiet, powerful, low energy consumption and you can run it without a monitor and just use your iPad to control it.

There's some other threads around here on hardware configuration for servers so may be worth looking there too.

• Like 1

c0m3r

You could get something like a HP Proliant microserver such as the N45L. Around the same sort of price range as a NAS enclosure and can run windows so will work with MBS. As mentioned they arent really powerful enough for lots of transcoding but should run a local network installation pretty well. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...